Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Yet you never miss a chance to attempt to promote it here--and with 10 dollar words.

Were Kernighan and Ritchie "software engineers"?
LOL. Given they designed C I would call the architects. Also authors (for the book), and I am sure engineers as well. I haven't met them.

Again, how is any of this relevant? Are you going to quiz me on abstraction classes next? Maybe ask me for a example of a hardware abstraction layer in C++?

Or are you just going to ask me irrelevant questions because it pushes your topic up? I'm not here to entertain you or make foolish posts go to the top anymore.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I make a lot more as a engineer then I would playing in the dirt.....
Earlier today I was looking at the state job board and was surprised to see that some on the engineering jobs paid less then some of the trades. I guess it depends on what kind of "dirt" you'd be playing in or what type of engineer you are.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Earlier today I was looking at the state job board and was surprised to see that some on the engineering jobs paid less then some of the trades. I guess it depends on what kind of "dirt" you'd be playing in or what type of engineer you are.
Most I ever made in construction was about $35/hr. Which would be great, but it wasnt regular work. I averages a income of about 40K doing that. Im more then double that now.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:54 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
In fact I make it a point to not discuss where I work (although you would recognize it) because I've seen some real crazies here.
Like this commentator?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/39237520-post4.html

Quote:
LOL. Given they designed C I would call the architects. Also authors (for the book), and I am sure engineers as well. I haven't met them.
LOL. Except the terms as applied didn't exist when it was written.

Quote:
Again, how is any of this relevant? Are you going to quiz me on abstraction classes next? Maybe ask me for a example of a hardware abstraction layer in C++?
But I haven't. I have asked how you think technologies like that command a title of Engineer from you.

Quote:
Or are you just going to ask me irrelevant questions because it pushes your topic up?
Or because you keep posting on my thread.

Last edited by mm4; 06-12-2015 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 05:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Most I ever made in construction was about $35/hr. Which would be great, but it wasnt regular work. I averages a income of about 40K doing that. Im more then double that now.
Glad you're doing well but to be fair if someone was making $35/hour and did have steady work they would be making $72,000 per year which is not bad money at all.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:16 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times
I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king
I've been up and down and over and out, and I know one thing
Each time I find myself flat on my face
I pick myself up and get back in the race

Old 06-12-2015, 06:29 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
What exactly is the point of this thread? It seems like a petty 'liberals suck' thread, which we've seen enough of. Especially since the basis of this one makes absolutely no sense.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Like this commentator?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/39237520-post4.html

LOL. Except the terms as applied didn't exist when it was written.

But I haven't. I have asked how you think technologies like that command a title of Engineer from you.
Dunno...let me go ask my last 5 employers over the last 20+ years.....

Seriously, this is off topic.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,474 times
I'm an electrician, who at this point does commercial even though the current site I'm at is a high end apartment that takes up an entire floor after the owner bought 3 on the floor. This site isn't as bad as other places where I've come home covered in dirt from drilling in "ash" ceilings or covered in concrete dust from drilling over 100 holes in a reinforced concrete ceiling using a 3/4 hammer drill bit while standing on my tippy toes on a scaffold. That was not fun, or the times I've gotten New cuts from where I don't know and as far as I'm concerned I'm a pretty far lefty. So op what is it you do for work besides making stupid threads?

Old 06-12-2015, 06:48 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Does the progressive left think it's too good for blue collar work?
Now let's get out terminology straight, all tradesmen are blue collar, but not all blue collar workers are in the trades i.e., crafts. Now I would be the first concede that historically the craft/trade unions have been the least progressive but when it comes to industrial blue collar workers its hard to find (or it used to be before conservatives went to war on the working classes) a more Progressive group that the machinist, the auto-workers, west coast longshoremen. Now amongst the entrepreneurial class of blue collar workers, I'd have to say that quite a few of my woodworking, carpenter, auto mechanic buddies might be describe as being too left to be called progressives. In short I don't think that you have a clue as to what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies