Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What is the additional purpose to the normal procedure followed when buying a firearm from a licensed dealer?
A couple days? A cooling off period before you go and shoot someone you are upset with. (Probably what keeps me alive).

I fully expect my last words to be "What are you going to do shoot me?"

Again though, while I could see as much as 2 weeks, I feel 3 days is about right. Anything beyond is excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
A couple days? A cooling off period before you go and shoot someone you are upset with. (Probably what keeps me alive).

I fully expect my last words to be "What are you going to do shoot me?"

Again though, while I could see as much as 2 weeks, I feel 3 days is about right. Anything beyond is excessive.
Have you ever been so angry with someone you felt the need to drive 20 minutes to a gun store, fill in a form, wait 10-15 minutes while the background check completed, wait 5 minutes or so while the purchase was completed, then driven 20 minutes back to the person you felt so compelled to shoot over an hour ago? No?

Have you ever experienced angering someone who has driven 20 minutes to a gun store, filled in a form, waited 10-15 minutes while the background check completed, waited 5 minutes or so while the purchase was completed, then driven 20 minutes back to you and shot you? No?

Nor have I.

I don't know anyone who's been shot under those circumstances either, and I've never heard of it in the media, where are all these people who are being saved, or not being saved by states that do or do not have waiting periods?

Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been so angry with someone you felt the need to drive 20 minutes to a gun store, fill in a form, wait 10-15 minutes while the background check completed, wait 5 minutes or so while the purchase was completed, then driven 20 minutes back to the person you felt so compelled to shoot over an hour ago? No?

Have you ever experienced angering someone who has driven 20 minutes to a gun store, filled in a form, waited 10-15 minutes while the background check completed, waited 5 minutes or so while the purchase was completed, then driven 20 minutes back to you and shot you? No?

Nor have I.

I don't know anyone who's been shot under those circumstances either, and I've never heard of it in the media, where are all these people who are being saved, or not being saved by states that do or do not have waiting periods?
Thats because there are waiting limits to buying guns. And yes, without them theres probably a time or two where I would have or others.

A couple days is not unreasonable. Why do you feel it is?

Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Thats because there are waiting limits to buying guns. And yes, without them theres probably a time or two where I would have or others.

April 21st. What's today's date? When NJ gets to "a couple days" then we can continue your whats is reasonable and not.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
April 21st. What's today's date? When NJ gets to "a couple days" then we can continue your whats is reasonable and not.
I've repeatedly stated NJ's time is unreasonable.....soo...apparently this post is celebrating our agreement?

Seriously though. Whats wrong with a couple days? NJ's issue is apparent....I mean come on, months? thats crazy.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:

There are no Federally mandates waiting limits, so it's state dependent. Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts[1], Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York[2], North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia have no such waiting limit.

Washington since I used to live there, requires long gun purchases to be handled through NICS (thus you can walk out with a shotgun or rifle within 5 minutes if there's no line, and NICS is being ultra responsive), handguns are handled through the State which requires 5 days maximum for completion of the background check, if after 5 days have passed no result is returned it's presumed proceed. Some other states may do similarly, but there is no legal state minimum defined in law.

[1] Massachusetts requires a license to purchase prior to acquisition, but there is no waiting period at time of purchase.

[2] New York requires a prior license to purchase, but at time of purchase there is no waiting period.

So where do you live, and are you surprised by your state law...? If you're not in California, Hawaii, Illinois, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, New Jersey, Wisconsin or DC your state doesn't have a waiting period.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
-snip-
So where do you live, and are you surprised by your state law...? If you're not in California, Hawaii, Illinois, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, New Jersey, Wisconsin or DC your state doesn't have a waiting period.
Learn something new every day. I live in Oregon, And I clearly remembered a 5 day waiting period....

So I investigated why:
Quote:
, often referred to as the Brady Act and commonly called the Brady Bill,[1][2] is an Act of the United States Congress that mandated federal background checks on firearm purchasers in the United States, and imposed a five-day waiting period on purchases, until the NICS system was implemented in 1998.
So at one point (when I bought one) there WAS.

Now its just the FBI check. Which can be minutes or days.

I still stand by the opinion that a 3 day period is not unreasonable (and more then 2 weeks is extremely unreasonable)

Old 06-12-2015, 07:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold3761 View Post
She was stabbed to death by her ex-boyfriend, so it's pretty obvious that if she had received the permit and had the gun on time her life could have been spared.
A gun may or not have saved her. Her ex ambushed and stabbed her as she stepped out of her car. She'd need the gun out and finger on the trigger as she exited the car.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I still stand by the opinion that a 3 day period is not unreasonable (and more then 2 weeks is extremely unreasonable)
But why? Has there been a huge upsurge in rash gun homicides since 1998 in Oregon? Clearly not, because if there were you would have known that the law had no waiting period.

If not then what benefit is there?

Old 06-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
But why? Has there been a huge upsurge in rash gun homicides since 1998 in Oregon? Clearly not, because if there were you would have known that the law had no waiting period.

If not then what benefit is there?
You know what.....

I've been looking at the statistics, the results, and various articles......

And I am wrong. The disadvantages outweigh the advantages. This is what am looking at:

While a waiting period DOES reduce some gun deaths, (primarily suicide) its also causing some deaths that might otherwise be prevented.

As such. think I have changed my opinion on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies