Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 09:49 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
Reading comprehension is a must. I posted a video showing a white man physically punching two officers, as they attempt to arrest him, but for some reason, neither officer chooses to use deadly force against the white thug. I thought officers shoot to kill when they are attacked and threatened.
Why did you bring up Michael Brown then? Of all the examples you could use, you use an imbecilic thug wannabe that attacked a police officer.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 AM

258 posts, read 157,595 times
Quote:

Recognize that your white privilege affords you the ability to see things from rose-colored lenses.
I think I'm fairly realistic about the world, but the truth is that no one sees much of it, and they understand even less.

One thing to watch out for is that more intelligent people can build more convincing Just So stories about why things are the way they are. If anything, the theory is only partly true at best.

In terms of White Privilege, to the extent it really exists, I'm quite happy with it. I'm proud to be from a highly accomplished branch of humanity and will do my best to promote myself and the people I know. If you don't have your own flavor of white privilege, I'd suggest you cook up some of your own. Begging from others is not only ineffective, but rather unseemly.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Ok, but honestly, if a black man or black woman fought two police officers, they would be shot dead. The white suspect in the video was however allowed to fight the two officers, without being killed.

Recognize that your white privilege affords you the ability to see things from rose-colored lenses.
Seriously? Are you saying there's no cases of a black person fighting two cops and not being shot? I can guarantee you there are. Anyone can cherry pick videos.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:53 AM

297 posts, read 294,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Why did you bring up Michael Brown then? Of all the examples you could use, you use an imbecilic thug wannabe that attacked a police officer.
Re-read the comment and try to exercise critical thinking. Never mind, I'll just spell it out for you. Some believe Michael Brown attacked the officer, therefore, the officer was justified in using deadly force. If you agree that Michael Brown attacked the officer and the officer was justified in killing him, why wasn't the white man in the video killed when he physically attacked two officers? Please try to stay on topic by addressing the actual video.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:54 AM

297 posts, read 294,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Seriously? Are you saying there's no cases of a black person fighting two cops and not being shot? I can guarantee you there are. Anyone can cherry pick videos.
I can't say for sure, but I do know from what I've observed, it's very unlikely that a black man or black woman would live, if they even attempted to assault an officer.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Re-read the comment and try to exercise critical thinking. Never mind, I'll just spell it out for you. Some believe Michael Brown attacked the officer, therefore, the officer was justified in using deadly force. If you agree that Michael Brown attacked the officer and the officer was justified in killing him, why wasn't the white man in the video killed when he physically attacked two officers? Please try to stay on topic by addressing the actual video.
I get that you were hoping the white guy would get shot. Sorry that did not happen. Your wish did not come true. Sad day for you I guess.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I can't say for sure, but I do know from what I've observed, it's very unlikely that a black man or black woman would live, if they even attempted to assault an officer.
Hearsay and speculation does not hold up in court.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:59 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
There was that one video from back in 1991 that got some degree of attention.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:03 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Question Nationwide guideline for how pale the attackers skin needs to make it a good shoot?

How is it "white privilege" to not get shot by the cops under circumstances where a civilian couldn't shoot you? Shouldn't "not being needlessly shot dead" be considered the baseline, rather than privilege?

Don't tell me I'm privileged because I don't get shot dead by cops for no reason, when there are rich guys in my area who truly have class privilege and don't even get speeding tickets when they actually deserve it. Trying to guilt me into being concerned by calling basic human rights "privilege" is not going to work.

Quote:
What police actually do is totally different than what the research findings suggest. There are ample cases in the U.S. of the police shooting black "suspects" without any hesitation. Anyhow, I notice that you didn't bother to actually comment on the video. Just admit that if he was either a black man or a black woman, the police would have used deadly force.
You're talking like "the police" is a uniform whole across the nation, assuming that cops in Hampton, NH (population 97% white, 0 murders/year) are going to react exactly the same as cops in Harvey, IL (population 3% white) and the only variable involved is skin color.

Each cop is going to react to a given encounter based on his own experiences and his own perception as to how dangerous this interaction is likely to be, and this subjective analysis may or may not match reality -- some cops overreact, some under.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 06-13-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 10:07 AM

177 posts, read 194,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Hearsay and speculation does not hold up in court.
This isn't a court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies