Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,923,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
Latino man and Black man targeted by police. -Guns pulled because innocent Hispanic man refused to bow down on the ground to police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDc3q28gmSU
Why was the cop there? It's hard to know the full situation via the video. I'm speculating, but it seems kinda fake. If there's a gun pointed at me and a cop says get on the ground in a public place - I probably do what he says and sort out everything while I'm in cuffs and everyone is calm. The crying and everything seems theatrical.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:39 AM

297 posts, read 294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Why was the cop there? It's hard to know the full situation via the video. I'm speculating, but it seems kinda fake. If there's a gun pointed at me and a cop says get on the ground in a public place - I probably do what he says and sort out everything while I'm in cuffs and everyone is calm. The crying and everything seems theatrical.
I don't believe for one second this video is fake. I'm unsure as to why they were stopped, but my guess is, they were profiled. The Latino guy didn't feel that he needed to get on the ground and kneel before the officer, because he didn't commit any crime.

Did you not hear him say that he served in the military? Maybe he felt like crap, because they abused their authority over him simply because they had a badge. He knew they were wrong, that's why he attempted to stand his ground.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I don't believe for one second this video is fake. I'm unsure as to why they were stopped, but my guess is, they were profiled. The Latino guy didn't feel that he needed to get on the ground and kneel before the officer, because he didn't commit any crime.

Did you not hear him say that he served in the military? Maybe he felt like crap, because they abused their authority over him simply because they had a badge. He knew they were wrong, that's why he attempted to stand his ground.
And that's why the video only allows us to speculate. Perhaps someone called the cops saying those two pulled a gun and robbed them. Wouldn't it be in the cops best interest to have both of them kneel on the ground while he makes sure there's no threat of harm or one of them running away? Kneeling down to a cop doesn't make one a girly man or anything.

Serving in the military doesn't really tell me much...a lot of ex military folks commit crimes.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:03 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon X Seaworthy View Post
As usual, these things are more complicated than you might think.

https://news.wsu.edu/2014/09/02/dead.../#.VXw6ZI-BvFY

"Participants in an innovative Washington State University study of deadly force were more likely to feel threatened in scenarios involving black people. But when it came time to shoot, participants were biased in favor of black suspects, taking longer to pull the trigger against them than against armed white or Hispanic suspects.

The findings, published in the recent Journal of Experimental Criminology, grow out of dozens of simulations aimed at explaining the disproportionate number of ethnic and racial minorities shot by police. The studies use the most advanced technology available, as participants with laser-equipped guns react to potentially threatening scenarios displayed in full-size, high-definition video."
Not sure why the thread didn't end here, with this post.

Quote:
What police actually do is totally different than what the research findings suggest. There are ample cases in the U.S. of the police shooting black "suspects" without any hesitation.

Anyhow, I notice that you didn't bother to actually comment on the video. Just admit that if he was either a black man or a black woman, the police would have used deadly force.
Anodotal evidence is not scientific data, and frequently reinforces a perceived bias or creates a conformation bias. The police don't "do" different than the study findings, the study was what they actually "did," but from the videos and news presentations over the last several months, the results of the study are surprising, if not shocking because it is the antithesis of what we're are lead to believe by media reports and Social media.

They are plenty of videos of (pick the race or ethnicity) where perps resist or fight with police and don't get shot, so I reject your premise that cops shoot blacks but not whites for the same offenses.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 AM

297 posts, read 294,125 times
RIP Eric Garner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zOzkh2cKuM

Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,067 times
Quote:
If there are plenty of videos, please find just one where a black man or woman fights the police, like the white man in my original post, without having a gun drawn on them.

It should of course be so easy for you to do, because as you pointed out.. there's plenty of videos "where perps (of all ethnicities) fight with the police and don't get shot."
Google "black guy owns cop" and watch the third video down.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Google "black guy owns cop" and watch the third video down.
Wow. Animal.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I can agree with you on this one. If you have 4-5 cops, there's no need for choke holds. Get him to the ground if you have to and hold his arms/legs until you get him cuffed. Seems like #99 wanted to try the choke hold he saw in MMA fights.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:40 AM

103 posts, read 181,400 times
Quote:
I agree w/ you to an extent. But honestly, it's not purely class based for black folks, because middle, upper income and even rich blacks are treated with a heavier hand (to use your words) by police. -Race plays a very important role in this.

You might have missed the part where I agreed with you. My point is that this is yet another tool to divide and conquer. It is easy to divide on something visual, like race. When all the poor (and so-called "middle class") people in this country get together, regardless of race, we'll see some real changes. They are terrified of that and do whatever they can to keep people divided. Race is just a super easy way to do it. Is it wrong? You betcha. But the people who need to know/acknowledge/act on its wrongness are not the ones marching in the streets (those people have been saying things are wrong for years). It is the super comfy ones who think policy brutality will never happen to them or anyone they know or love.

The people in power have done an incredibly fantastic job of making sure there is a disparity in the way LEO (and the courts, for that matter) treats black folks. Middle class white folks do know this, whether they admit it on an internet forum or not. But they feel it is part of the bargain that they do not fight against it because they feel like "the police are going to beat up on someone/someone has to fill the jail beds, better not me or mine."

As long as that mentality persists, it is easy for the powers that be to keep screwing over the American populace. They can keep on bailing out banks, shoving health insurance (not HEALTH CARE, just insurance) down our throats, protecting big business that pollutes/screws with our food, etc.

The real power is in getting the poor (and so-called "middle class" [so-called because one big health bill would drive them to poverty]) to fight TOGETHER.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:46 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,817,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016
Many people believe the police have every right to use excessive force, if they happen to feel threatened while attempting to make an arrest.
They dont know how to properly make that determination anymore!!!!!!

Any slight attitude sets them off!!!!! -- Its very scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.