Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dumbing down hurts everyone.
a watered down expensive degree is a rip off.
you have the sheep skin but not the ability it says you possess, you think employers are blind? why do you think they are not hiring?
high diploma has become unless due to supply and demand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
My problem with Common Core is that it was universally rolled out for all grade levels. Thus, students/children who had been used to a particular style of learning were told to do something radically different or fail/not graduate. Now, this wouldn't be such a problem if Common Core standards began with Kindergarten and then were progressively (year by year, following that Kindergarten class) introduced to higher grades. That would have been the sensible thing to do. But, no, I'm not inherently opposed to Common Core and think that it will ultimately be good for the country.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Are there some systems that could do better with more money? Yes but for the large failing systems like in Chicago, D.C. and Cleveland the poor results are because of waste, fraud and corruption.
AND the crappy homelife for many of the students.

MORE money in-and-of-itself will NOT fix the problem.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
AND the crappy homelife for many of the students.

MORE money in-and-of-itself will NOT fix the problem.
Alot money is going towards Administrators that are not jack ****

Old 06-28-2015, 09:44 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
For 13 years I was a school teacher back East (gasp) in Maryland. I then moved to Virginia (sigh of relief) to become a school administrator. Now retired, I still get into educational discussions occasionally. Perhaps because of my professional background, I have had a few Tea Party GOPers ask me what I thought about Common Core. But I always turn it around and ask them what they think of Common Core. That usually prompts a rant that lasts for several minutes.

Then I ask them one question: tell me one specific thing in Common Core.

The response has always varied from dead silence to stuttering to comments like, "I just know I don't like it."

Now, admittedly, some folks on here do know a bit about Common Core, but an awfully lot of the moaners and groaners out there don't know sheep dip from shinola about it, but hate it to its core (pun intended). Thus often proving that we do need higher education standards.

I don't feel states should be forced into adopting Common Core, even though I'm a moderate Democrat. But here's the thing that ought to get some people thinking -- the states where Common Core is most disliked are often (but not always) the states with the poorest education results on almost any form of national testing or college admission levels.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:59 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
That is correct. Virtually all big school systems do badly. But it is not all the schools in those school systems.
The only well-performing schools in the Chicago Public School system are those that have selective admissions. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Yes they do, you are full of bs
An already recentered SAT provides evidence to the contrary.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
An already recentered SAT provides evidence to the contrary.
SAT and ACT test are crapshoots. I have seen smart people do badly and kids who barely went to did good. GPA should be the main focus.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
SAT and ACT test are crapshoots. I have seen smart people do badly and kids who barely went to did good. GPA should be the main focus.
GPA is too subjective. You need an objective national type test like SAT/ACT.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
SAT and ACT test are crapshoots.
Actually, not true:
Quote:
"The Benchmarks are scores on the ACT subject-area tests that represent the level of achievement required for students to have a 50% chance of obtaining a B or higher or about a 75% chance of obtaining a C or higher in corresponding credit-bearing first-year college courses. These college courses include English composition, college algebra, introductory social science courses, and biology. Based on a sample of 214 institutions and more than 230,000 students from across the United States, the Benchmarks are median course placement values for these institutions and as such represent a typical set of expectations."
ACT College Readiness Benchmarks | ACT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies