Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Each time a person buys a gun from a dealer, there is a background check performed through the NICS system, the dealer will require two forms of identification, one of which has to have your picture on it.

Also when I got my carry conceal permit, I was fingerprinted for the second time in my life, 1st time was for my job: and the 2nd time was for the Carry Conceal Permit. And it was done by police officers at the local police station, and those fingerprints were sent to the FBI as well.

This is just feel good measures, it will not stop any real crime. Since almost every person who buys a gun, and gets a carry conceal permit does not commit a crime.

New gun control demand: Photos, fingerprints, background check before handgun purchase | WashingtonExaminer.com
It probably won't stop crime. We need National gun control measures. At least when a gun gets stolen and is used in a murder the FBI can track it to the original buyer. Hopefully the gun was stolen and reported as such. Obviously, criminals get there guns from "legitimate" sources or they steal them, right?

Anyway, I personally think they should all be banned. My experience with guns is all bad. I've had one put to my head, and I have heard the crack crack crack of one killing a human being on at least 2 occasions. They are created to kill and nothing else. I don't like them and will never like them. They are instruments to kill or threats to kill and nothing else. I understand that my opinion is not popular in America and I'm ok with that. Cheers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 11:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I forgot about the draconian magazine limits
So you think magazine limits are draconian? Interesting, given my recollection of your views in the past on the subject.
Quote:
, I believe the assault weapons ban was mentioned by someone else.
No, Obama supported a renewed AWB as well. It was all part of the gun control task force assembled by Obama and headed by Biden. Not to mention that Obama is on record as supporting a renewed AWB even before the tragedy at Sandy Hook. I can remember seeing him say so during a town hall style debate with Romney during the 2012 campaign.
Quote:
Those were proposals were made in 2013 so who was generating the guns sales in
the prior 4 years, the NRA and some paranoid right wing groups that claimed
there would be confiscation.
I'm not going to say that the NRA doesn't do it's fair share of fear mongering and exploitation. I received a call from them just this evening trying to solicit donations under the threat of a few bills before congress right now that don't stand a snowballs chance of passing, but to say the NRA is the sole factor in rising gun sales from 2008-2012 is purely erroneous. As I already told you, the NRA is a small fish in a big pond. They don't have much reach outside of their own membership, and in the past six years, there have been thousands if not millions of first time gun buyers. Why? For a variety of reasons, the inception of permissive concealed carry laws across the country not least of them. Also, Democrats are notorious advocates of gun control, so it should come as no surprise that the election of one to the presidency would be accompanied by a sharp rise in gun sales.

Just face it, Americans have a renewed interest in their Right to keep and bear arms, and no amount of trying to explain it away as paranoia caused by NRA propaganda is going to change that.
Quote:
Yes the polls indicated overwhelming support for background checks,
only around 50% vote in presidential elections considerably less
in off year, congressmen know that people don't vote and that they will be
punished by the NRA. Easier to just fold up rather than lose
an election.
So in other words, what you're saying is that the congressmen and women who voted against the bill determined that a majority of the voters who would decide their fate in 2014 in fact did not support the bill? Well, that's how democracy is supposed to work. Representatives are supposed to do just that.... represent the will of the voters. Those who are too apathetic to vote shouldn't expect their opinions to hold any weight.

( and judging off of how the 2014 mid-terms turned out, I'd say they made the right call )

Old 06-16-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
It probably won't stop crime. We need National gun control measures. At least when a gun gets stolen and is used in a murder the FBI can track it to the original buyer. Hopefully the gun was stolen and reported as such. Obviously, criminals get there guns from "legitimate" sources or they steal them, right?

Anyway, I personally think they should all be banned. My experience with guns is all bad. I've had one put to my head, and I have heard the crack crack crack of one killing a human being on at least 2 occasions. They are created to kill and nothing else. I don't like them and will never like them. They are instruments to kill or threats to kill and nothing else. I understand that my opinion is not popular in America and I'm ok with that. Cheers...
What about those who are saved because they had a gun? ( and there are many, exact figures are the subject of much debate )..... Are they to be viewed as just collateral damage? Martyrs for the cause of disarming America? The mantra of gun control advocates is that "if it just saves one life, it's worth doing" but they fail to acknowledge the other side of that coin. What if it actually costs someone their life? Someone like Carol Bowne, a New Jersey resident who filed a restraining order on her ex, installed an alarm system, and applied for a Permit to purchase a handgun. While waiting on her application to be approved, she was subsequently stabbed to death in the driveway of her home. Admittedly there is no guarantee that it would have made a difference even if she had been given permission to exercise her Right to buy a gun, but one thing is certain; New Jersey's draconian gun laws ensured she didn't have a gun when she needed it most.

Bearing ArmsNew Jersey Denied Carol Bowne a Fighting Chance - Bearing Arms

I'm not prepared to say that I'm willing to render someone like Carol Bowne defenseless without a gun in order to save the innocent lives that are unfortunately taken with a gun. To do so would be to say that their lives are somehow less important, and that they'll just have to die, or be raped, or be beaten so that someone else might live.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 06-17-2015 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Except for people with a grudge aganst police , generally criminls do not perform their crimes against armed people.
Guns exist for that matter knives exist which are just as deadly.
Criminals will always find a way to acquire means to over come prey. and the facts show that the more folk that have guns the less crimials willing to take them on.
We have a great many irisponsible people that don't feel the need to take responsibility for their own secuity, and they are forcing gun control down the throats of every one else as though it works and for a fact it never has.
All this regestration trash is a prelude to confenscation Just like germany and Hilter. No different.
By the way th second amendment is to provide the people a means to stand up against a tyranical government, according to Jefferson.
Much like thay did in 1776. not just self protection.
This government has plans to fallow the agenda 21 and they are well on the way of accomplishing it.
Check out the agenda 21 for your self , it's no conspiricy "theory" ,it's there in black and white for every one to read.
You ( we all) are just a meat bag .enjoy.
By the way Newtown was a fake there is too much evidence to prove it, and real evidence to support it's false flag .

Old 06-17-2015, 05:14 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Is this tread here because Colt went into Chapter 11? Do the Arms makers and the NRA need a new sales plan,so start it on-line?

Put more scare out their to sell more product?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:08 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So you think magazine limits are draconian? Interesting, given my recollection of your views in the past on the subject.
Just messing with you

Quote:
No, Obama supported a renewed AWB as well. It was all part of the gun control task force assembled by Obama and headed by Biden. Not to mention that Obama is on record as supporting a renewed AWB even before the tragedy at Sandy Hook. I can remember seeing him say so during a town hall style debate with Romney during the 2012 campaign.
That may be true but the AWB along with magazine limits is minimal legislation, the ban that passed in the 90's addressed very few weapons and all the manufacturers changed their design to render the ban pretty much useless

Quote:
I'm not going to say that the NRA doesn't do it's fair share of fear mongering and exploitation. I received a call from them just this evening trying to solicit donations under the threat of a few bills before congress right now that don't stand a snowballs chance of passing, but to say the NRA is the sole factor in rising gun sales from 2008-2012 is purely erroneous. As I already told you, the NRA is a small fish in a big pond. They don't have much reach outside of their own membership, and in the past six years, there have been thousands if not millions of first time gun buyers. Why? For a variety of reasons, the inception of permissive concealed carry laws across the country not least of them. Also, Democrats are notorious advocates of gun control, so it should come as no surprise that the election of one to the presidency would be accompanied by a sharp rise in gun sales.

Just face it, Americans have a renewed interest in their Right to keep and bear arms, and no amount of trying to explain it away as paranoia caused by NRA propaganda is going to change that.
Agree there were others from the right wing besides the NRA that indicated the liberal black president was going to confiscate their guns and there would be unrest in the cities. The NRA was still front and center, I recall LaPierre indicating that Obama was going to ban the sale, possession and manufacture of all guns.

That renewed interest has placed guns in the hands of many that shouldn't have had them in the first place.

Quote:
So in other words, what you're saying is that the congressmen and women who voted against the bill determined that a majority of the voters who would decide their fate in 2014 in fact did not support the bill? Well, that's how democracy is supposed to work. Representatives are supposed to do just that.... represent the will of the voters. Those who are too apathetic to vote shouldn't expect their opinions to hold any weight.

( and judging off of how the 2014 mid-terms turned out, I'd say they made the right call )
That percentage of voters, around 90%, is a rather large segment, but with the NRA's money and backing those congressmen could care less. We already saw their impact in Colorado. I don't see their votes as being representative, voters tend to have a very short memory.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:12 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
2013 was when the gun amendments were proposed.
So, you got nothing and what happened 2 years ago is still relevant today...

Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
More and more this one is a sales pitch if I ever saw one. The NRA trying to push gun sales!!! Colts chapter 11 has to have something with this.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Just messing with you
That makes more sense.....
Quote:
That may be true but the AWB along with magazine limits is minimal legislation
I guess that depends on how you define "minimal"..... Most people who aren't gun control advocates would consider that pretty significant and sweeping legislation.
Quote:
the ban that passed in the 90's addressed very few weapons and all the
manufacturers changed their design to render the ban pretty much useless
Yes that's true, but the ban proposed in 2013 was NOT the same ban proposed and passed in 1994. Without getting in to the technical details, there would have been no getting around this ban for manufacturers, and the 2013 version would not have had a sunset clause. Nice try though.

I gotta give you gun control supporters credit. You guys are masters at spin and manipulating facts, but you're forgetting the cardinal rule of the common con man...... If you're going to try and fool someone, you'd better make sure you're smarter than them. Lot harder to trick people who are informed.
Quote:
Agree there were others from the right wing besides the NRA that indicated the
liberal black president was going to confiscate their guns and there would be
unrest in the cities.
Boy the latter half sure turned out to be true, didn't it? And Obama may not have tried a door-to-door confiscation effort, but he did try and pass sweeping new laws, just like the fanatical Right wingers predicted, didn't he?
Quote:
That renewed interest has placed guns in the hands of many that shouldn't have
had them in the first place.
That's not for you to decide. As long as people have a clean criminal record and a clear bill of mental health, they have every Right to purchase and own a gun until such a time as they do something that demonstrates their unworthiness...
Quote:
That percentage of voters, around 90%, is a rather large segment
The claim was that 90% of Americans supported background checks, NOT 90% of voters, that's a significant distinction. Of course if you have the link that says 90% of registered voters supported it ( not 90% of Americans, and not 90% of Americans -eligible- to vote ) than I'll gladly stand corrected.

For that matter, I don't put much stock in that 90% claim as it is, because the same people who were pushing that number were also pushing the claim that 40% of gun sales are conducted without a background check, a number based off of a 20 year old survey of a measly 200+ people and since discredited by it's own author. They were also saying that 75% of NRA members supported it, and how would they know that, given the fact that only the NRA has access to it's membership rolls? That's the problem with the gun control advocates..... they have no credibility whatsoever.
Quote:
but with the NRA's money and backing those congressmen could care less
If the voters really supported the bill and they voted against it, all the money and backing in the world wouldn't help them.
Quote:
We already saw their impact in Colorado
Oh, you mean when those two senators who voted for gun control who were re-called by voters after they ignored the will of the constituents? Yeah, we saw it alright. That was a proud night for me, and an epic night for democracy and grassroots movements in America.
Quote:
voters tend to have a very short memory.
That may be true in most cases, but people who view gun policy as a voting issue tend to have a VERY long memory, and they also tend to be very pro-gun.

( P.S. I also find your implication that it's ok to betray the will of the voters because they have short memories quite amusing )

Old 06-18-2015, 04:36 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
What about those who are saved because they had a gun? ( and there are many, exact figures are the subject of much debate )..... Are they to be viewed as just collateral damage? Martyrs for the cause of disarming America? The mantra of gun control advocates is that "if it just saves one life, it's worth doing" but they fail to acknowledge the other side of that coin. What if it actually costs someone their life? Someone like Carol Bowne, a New Jersey resident who filed a restraining order on her ex, installed an alarm system, and applied for a Permit to purchase a handgun. While waiting on her application to be approved, she was subsequently stabbed to death in the driveway of her home. Admittedly there is no guarantee that it would have made a difference even if she had been given permission to exercise her Right to buy a gun, but one thing is certain; New Jersey's draconian gun laws ensured she didn't have a gun when she needed it most.

Bearing ArmsNew Jersey Denied Carol Bowne a Fighting Chance - Bearing Arms

I'm not prepared to say that I'm willing to render someone like Carol Bowne defenseless without a gun in order to save the innocent lives that are unfortunately taken with a gun. To do so would be to say that their lives are somehow less important, and that they'll just have to die, or be raped, or be beaten so that someone else might live.
IDK, but I do think if we didn't have guns so prevalent than gun murders would be lower. I'm sorry to hear about the woman who was killed by her husband. We do not know if she would be alive today or not. Unless she had a loaded gun in her hand at all times and was ready to shoot at a seconds notice. She may have killed someone else in fear. Then there is reality.

The White Christian Terrorist who just killed 9 innocent Black people while they prayed in Church is one of many examples that we have a gun problem in this country. Not much else to say...

Here is a study that says gun owners are less likely to use their guns in self defense and MUCH more likely to commit homicide. Just came out and, of course, the NRA doesn't like it. Anyone that is in possession of a gun is a gun owner - doesn't matter if it is stolen, a gift, purchased, etc... Cheers.

Gun owners not likely to use firearms for self-defense, study claims | TheHill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies