Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

No way in hell a low level manager would have access to that type of insider info without the entire world knowing. Senior Exc and above if only but a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't believe that, either. For what reason would a store increase sales for not selling something they once sold?
Target made the business decision to cease selling cigs in 1996, almost 20 years ago.
Their decision had no impact on their bottom line.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:25 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I went into CVS this morning, to pick up a few items, and couldn't not believe their hike in prices.
I told the manager, I refuse to pay that much, and he told me, since CVS stopped selling cigarettes, all their prices went up and to boot, and get this...
Our Government, used our tax money, to pay CVS, $X amount of dollars per year to do so?

Can you imagine? Talk about Corrupt, and another reason, why I'm sick and tired of the power government has!

Now, let me warn you now, this is not a thread to discuss if you approve of smoking or not, nor is this a thread to bash any political party...

This is a thread to discuss how our government has become so powerful, that they have the audacity to utilize our hard earned tax dollars, to bribe an establishment to not sell cigs....and if this is the case, what else has government done?

Doesn't this make you all ask yourselves questions about the corruption going on in government?
I can’t find any link to any website that provides information on government money being given to CVS for not selling cigarettes. I’m sure the tobacco industry has their lobbyists pushing for more government subsidies but that’s another issue. I personally know a farmer in northwestern MO that continues to get government money for NOT growing tobacco on the farm.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
They still sell alcohol and junk food.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
[quote=jacqueg;40024709]What I am questioning is whether this could possibly be true. Someone, preferably you, needs to clear up a few things.

Quote:
1) The government pays CVS to stop selling cigs - and CVS raises their prices on *all* their other items??? What kind of retailer would sell nearly their entire inventory at a loss because they make up their loss by selling cigs?
because the government is not reimbursing them their total of sales that they made per year on cigs.
He told me they made a lot of money selling cigs per year and how much the government is paying them...but honestly do not remember.

I would take a guess, that the government isn't going to publish that they are paying anyone to stop selling cigs.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I can’t find any link to any website that provides information on government money being given to CVS for not selling cigarettes. I’m sure the tobacco industry has their lobbyists pushing for more government subsidies but that’s another issue. I personally know a farmer in northwestern MO that continues to get government money for NOT growing tobacco on the farm.
yes, that is very true.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM

CVS

this is not proof enough, however, it is something, read the 2nd paragraph.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
[quote=cremebrulee;40027795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
What I am questioning is whether this could possibly be true. Someone, preferably you, needs to clear up a few things.

because the government is not reimbursing them their total of sales that they made per year on cigs.
He told me they made a lot of money selling cigs per year and how much the government is paying them...but honestly do not remember.

I would take a guess, that the government isn't going to publish that they are paying anyone to stop selling cigs.

Well, then. You believe it in spite of no evidence at all? No act of Congress, no named program? No known retail strategy?

Ooooookaaaay. Maybe Julian Assange knows about it.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I hate CVS.

I've had nothing but problems with them screwing up prescriptions, screwing up their computer system, calling me when told not to and to use text\email.....they're hopeless.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, that is very true.
You may not be aware of this, but when Congress started passing laws in an attempt to reduce smoking, they also instituted what were supposed to be temporary subsidies to tobacco farmers, so as not to crash the local economies in tobacco-growing areas.

Those subsidies are not available to retailers like CVS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies