Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times

Advertisements

I went into CVS this morning, to pick up a few items, and couldn't not believe their hike in prices.
I told the manager, I refuse to pay that much, and he told me, since CVS stopped selling cigarettes, all their prices went up and to boot, and get this...
Our Government, used our tax money, to pay CVS, $X amount of dollars per year to do so?

Can you imagine? Talk about Corrupt, and another reason, why I'm sick and tired of the power government has!

Now, let me warn you now, this is not a thread to discuss if you approve of smoking or not, nor is this a thread to bash any political party...

This is a thread to discuss how our government has become so powerful, that they have the audacity to utilize our hard earned tax dollars, to bribe an establishment to not sell cigs....and if this is the case, what else has government done?

Doesn't this make you all ask yourselves questions about the corruption going on in government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 05:13 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,282,979 times
:link:

Old 06-15-2015, 06:04 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
:link:

I strongly suggest, if you want to read about it, google it....

no matter what, according to agenda, you are able to find anything either pro or con on the internet.
and then when you do, and provide a link, people reject it anyway...

Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,621,062 times
I think the manager made up the part about being paid not to sell cigarettes

Old 06-15-2015, 06:12 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,695,183 times
There goes one of my best jokes...

"Why do drug stores sell cigarettes up front and breathing medication in back?"

Next thing you know, bars will stop having parking lots.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:12 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
OP, link please or it didn't happen

Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 AM

1,204 posts, read 870,306 times
I'm a little baffled here on your statement. First it sounds as though you are claiming everything as a fact as your second paragraph indicates your disgust on the subject.

But then in your 4th paragraph, you indicate "if this is the case".

So which is it?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I strongly suggest, if you want to read about it, google it....

no matter what, according to agenda, you are able to find anything either pro or con on the internet.
and then when you do, and provide a link, people reject it anyway...
I tend to agree that one should not meekly accept what a single manager of a CVS pharmacy says.

Here are two articles about why CVS stopped selling cigarettes:

How Obamacare Got CVS to Stop Selling Cigarettes - The New Yorker

Why CVS Stopped Selling Cigarettes - Business Insider

Plus, I just happened to see in the news this morning that CVS is going to buy out Target's pharmacy business:

CVS buying Target's pharmacy business for $1.9 billion - Business Insider

Now, it does make sense that a company, intent on providing a full range of health care (beyond just medications, as stated in the first two articles) would stop selling cigarettes. Oddly enough, most hospitals also do not sell cigarettes.

I do use CVS pharmacy, although I rarely purchase anything else in the store. Perhaps the prices have gone up some, although since my CVS has a Walmart down the street, and a Walgreens directly across the street, I imagine mine has remained competitive.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:23 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
CVS said they stopped selling cigarettes (by the way, they had some of the lowest prices for them) because it made no sense for a health care company to sell a product which has so many negative impacts on health (I'm a smoker, by the way).

The tobacco companies did pay an incredible amount of money into a fund a number of years ago. Here in MD it has been used to pay tobacco farmers to stop growing it and develop alternate crops, for quit smoking programs and education.

I doubt any of the tobacco money went to a company to have them stop selling cigarettes.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I went into CVS this morning, to pick up a few items, and couldn't not believe their hike in prices.
I told the manager, I refuse to pay that much, and he told me, since CVS stopped selling cigarettes, all their prices went up and to boot, and get this...
Our Government, used our tax money, to pay CVS, $X amount of dollars per year to do so?

Can you imagine? Talk about Corrupt, and another reason, why I'm sick and tired of the power government has!

Now, let me warn you now, this is not a thread to discuss if you approve of smoking or not, nor is this a thread to bash any political party...

This is a thread to discuss how our government has become so powerful, that they have the audacity to utilize our hard earned tax dollars, to bribe an establishment to not sell cigs....and if this is the case, what else has government done?

Doesn't this make you all ask yourselves questions about the corruption going on in government?

What I am questioning is whether this could possibly be true. Someone, preferably you, needs to clear up a few things.

1) The government pays CVS to stop selling cigs - and CVS raises their prices on *all* their other items??? What kind of retailer would sell nearly their entire inventory at a loss because they make up their loss by selling cigs?

Is it common for retailers to sell all their inventory at a loss except for one item???? I've heard of loss leaders, but treating nearly the entire inventory as a loss leader is brand new one on me. Especially considering CVS's main business is selling prescriptions, which we all know are sold at non-competetive prices.

How does this make any sense at all?

2) I have been unable to find out which government program pays retailers to not sell cigarettes. What I have found is stories from last year saying that CVS decided to cease selling cigarettes because they are incompatible with its health mission - CVS stops selling tobacco, offers quit-smoking programs

I could find no mention of the US government paying CVS to not sell cigarettes. Presumably, if such a program exists, it would have to have been authorized by Congress, since it would involve a noticeable amount of cash, even for Congress. Also, if such a program exists, why aren't other retailers taking advantage of it?

Last edited by jacqueg; 06-15-2015 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies