Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The methodology of this survey shows they only asked about 1500 people of of a country of 320 million.
This survey in no way is an accurate reflection of gun ownership.
You can direct criticism at the study, but the sample size is actually pretty good.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Ruger's making a new Mini 14 in 300 Blackout which should turn the head of many a gun nut. And there are cheaper yet very innovative new rifles with pistol calibers that offer the casual shooter great alternatives to AR 15s or AK 47 clones.
And looking back at classic snub nose wheel revolvers, Colts are still very sought after. Smiths and Rugers and Colts could offer cheaper alternatives to the polymer Glocks and whatnot with simple wheel gun pocket revolvers since concealed carry is making a comeback. Some do, some don't, some are very pricey. A Colt Python, a Ruger Speed Six, those would sell if made today and prices were reasonable.
I'm by no means an expert but you don't have to be a genius to look at an industry and see what people want and what might sell. Firearms are like automobiles. They both serve pretty much the same basic purpose( transportation or hunting/defense) but there are different needs among buyers.
I'll also add that the Federal Government is buying firearms and ammo like crazy, and that's not just for the military.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I don't wish to get in between you two other than to point out that the data is all over the place.

Gallop reports an uptick in self-reported gun ownership (which kind of buries the no one wants to admit gun ownership argument)

Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993

Now you two can argue over which survey is most correct but keep in mind that around 1,000 respondents is the correct statistical sample size. Remember that when arguing whose poll is best.

As for the NCIC background stats, that's kind of useless because it doesn't distinguish between first time buyers and those who already own guns.

... he says while backing away.
Gallup did one poll one gun ownership. One poll is irrelevant. The poll I listed has followed this since 1972. Every year it is a much long term snap shot of gun ownership in America than one Gallup poll.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'd hate to see the prancing pony go under.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I'm not thrilled with that either however, produce junk and you lose business. Or you over price the iconic Colt SAA. All people these days have been buying is a name. The quality left a long time ago. If I had a choice between a present day production Colt M1911 and a Springfield Armory .45 ACP, Springfield Armory will win out.
you guys need to learn something about the bankruptcy laws in this country. the company IS NOT going under. they filed chapter 11, which is reorganization. they tried to reshape their debt load, but were unsuccessful, and thus they filed for reorganization so that the courts could force the reshaping of the debt.

if they were going under, they would have filed chapter 7 bankruptcy which would liquidate the companys assets. and chances are that someone would have come along about bought the company in chapter 7 for pennies on the dollar to trade on the colt name.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
According to article I read they are auctioning the company in question off. They have even had a bid and it involves taking on loans but defaulting on bond debt. They are not looking to reorganize according to the article I read. The investors making the bid say its the name and trade mark that they are really interested in.The Conn. location is in doubt as well as 800 employees. Its like the GM;Chrysler bankruptcy; it depends if the judge accepts the terms as those where not under normal set rules on bondholders ranking especially.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
According to article I read they are auctioning the company in question off. They have even had a bid and it involves taking on loans but defaulting on bond debt. They are not looking to reorganize according to the article I read. The investors making the bid say its the name and trade mark that they are really interested in.The Conn. location is in doubt as well as 800 employees. Its like the GM;Chrysler bankruptcy; it depends if the judge accepts the terms as those where not under normal set rules on bondholders ranking especially.
except that chapter 11 is reorganization. what the company does during that time is up to them and the court, since the court has to approve any transactions in regards to selling the company.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:19 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
Its time for a conservative kickstarter for Colt !

It makes sense now why these gun companies have been trying to flood our lives with guns...guns in your kids kindergarten school, day care, church/house of worship, theme parks, public toilets etc..

Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You can direct criticism at the study, but the sample size is actually pretty good.
1500 people polled out of 320 million represents 1 in 213,333
It would be like asking 1 person in a stadium of over 200,000 people..... do you think the response would be representative of everyone in the stadium?

Old 06-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 8 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,092 times
Please don't use basic division: upgrade to modern statistics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination

It's not written in a very accessible manner, but the basic idea is that you don't have to sample many people to get a large degree of confidence. It's widely known that a sample of ~1,000 can sufficiently describe a population of 300,000,000.

The hard part is that the sample needs to sufficiently random: that is, every person in the US had an equal chance of being selected as one of the 1200. We don't get things perfectly random in practice, but we get close enough to present findings that are relied upon in finance, medicine, etc.

(the math would say that a stadium of 200,000 can also be studied with a sample of ~1000)

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 06-17-2015 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: adding more math stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies