Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,299,828 times

Advertisements

Looks like it's okay to be just about trans-anything but forget about trans-race, the black community wants no part of a white woman pretending to be black.

Rachel Dolezal Resigns As NAACP Leader Amid Controversy « CBS Seattle

Last edited by Dockside; 06-15-2015 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,808,525 times
Why can't rachel dolezal be trans race and identify as black?

For the same reason Elizabeth Warren can't claim be part Indian to claim education, employment, and election privileges.

I believe it's about time to drop the 'differences titles' and pursue rights and privileges simply by just being a humanoid. Your acceptance and achievements based on your ability and willingness to cooperate and contribute.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post

For the same reason Elizabeth Warren can't claim be part Indian to claim education, employment, and election privileges.

I believe it's about time to drop the 'differences titles' and pursue rights and privileges simply by just being a humanoid. Your acceptance and achievements based on your ability and willingness to cooperate and contribute.
This comes with being equals. If a black male, Asian woman and a white male go for interview and the white make gets the job with the entire department being white males, you have a problem. Until that point while I don't like affirmative action and tokens, we need that to create the diversity we need to prosper. Remember, the colonies had diversity of religious beliefs too and even some were of different nationalities.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This woman stepped down as president as the NAACP after she was outed as being white. She made herself look black and is very passionate about black rights. She has refused to identify her race, but taken this on as her identity. How is this so much different from Jenner? Should you be allowed to identify as another race?
No. You are what you are. Female and white.
To suppose otherwise is stupid.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,778,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Looks like it's okay to be just about trans-anything but forget about trans-race, the black community wants no part of a white woman pretending to be black.

Rachel Dolezal Resigns As NAACP Leader Amid Controversy « CBS Seattle

You evidently didn't even read the article you linked. It doesn't mention trans anything and also does not indicate the bold above, which is completely false.

From your own article:

Quote:
Late last week, the national NAACP stood by her, saying “one’s racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership.” But she had come under increasing pressure from local chapter members to resign.

Kitara Johnson, an NAACP member in Spokane who has been calling on Dolezal to step down, welcomed the resignation.

“That’s the best thing that can happen right now,” Johnson said. “We are going to stand in unity and solidarity.”

Johnson said that the most important thing is to focus on the work of the NAACP, but that she hopes Dolezal remains a member of the organization.
Bold and underline added by me above. Thread fail.

ETA: It is amazing how people want to put their own racial animosity off on others. The NAACP from the beginning has had white members and presidents and I am black and could care less about this woman being the NAACP chapter president in WA.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
I don't care if she wants to be trans-species and self-identify with a platypus, but the black civil rights community is putting up it's hands and saying enough of this bs.

It'll be fun watching the libs and the trans crowd chew on this one.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I don't care if she wants to be trans-species and self-identify with a platypus, but the black civil rights community is putting up it's hands and saying enough of this bs.

It'll be fun watching the libs and the trans crowd chew on this one.
First its "the black community" now its the "black civil rights community." Which one is it with you?

I have been very involved in community work in black neighborhoods and communities (FYI, there is no one particular "black community" black people live everywhere). Like all political organizations there is a lot of in fighting and dirt thrown back and forth, also they NEVER want to be in the media spotlight. They pressured her to resign in order to stop negative press about her in linking with their chapter of the organization. If she was a cheater or sexting pics of her naked body or something else in todays day and age to garner negative media attention, they would also ask her to resign just like any other organization.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
First its "the black community" now its the "black civil rights community." Which one is it with you?
It's interesting but predictable the way you completely ignore the black community's anger at the gay rights crowd co-opting their civil rights fight as their own and their obvious determination to draw the line at trans-race.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:10 PM

52,454 posts, read 34,191,725 times
why can't I be trans-species and identify as a coatimundi?

reality's so unfair.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
It's interesting but predictable the way you completely ignore the black community's anger at the gay rights crowd co-opting their civil rights fight as their own and their obvious determination to draw the line at trans-race.

I am black.

So therefore, by your reasoning, I am a part of the "black community. Yet, I am not "angered" by gay people .

I have no issues with gay people advocating for their rights and I hope that more and more transpersons have their civil rights protections. Contrary to what you may believe, many black people do not agree with homosexuality on religious grounds (not me, I'm not religious) but they are accepting of gay family members. I have a gay sister and a gay brother in law and a few gay cousins. We all know they are gay and they are all in relationships (except BIL who is young/in his 20s). Nobody cares and I have a deeply religious family. "Love the sinner, not the sin" is a motto in my family about everything. I am probably the most lauded person because of my lack of religious belief lol. My lesbian sister is church going so they don't worry about her much.

But you ignored what I wrote earlier.

You didn't read your article as it contradicts what you stated - the NAACP didn't seek to throw this lady out, they hope she stays a member but they don't want the negative press to detract from their objectives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies