Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That is true of every single person on the planet, apart from identical twins.

There is no specific way one acts purely based on what race they are born into, innately. It's all learned, environmental and cultural.

There are plenty of people unhappy with their physical characteristics, for many reasons. (Usually societal pressure and wanting to fit in though). That is different to transgender people. Transgender people are driven to be who they are regardless of social ridicule or exile. Same with gay people.

I don't see it with race. Unless someone identifies with a cultural aspect different to their own. Let me put it this way, do you think a person born into an isolated tribe in the rainforest who doesn't interact with anyone from the outside world would ever feel they've been born into the wrong racial body?
I honestly don't know. All I do know is that if someone tells me they feel they are in the wrong body, then it is going to create problems for them that I do not experience, I can't begin to tell them how to live with that disconnect because I have never experienced it, and I certainly shouldn't tell someone that they aren't really feeling what they say they do. How would I know? In the past we have told people that their bodies were what they were and that they needed to learn to come to terms with that, no matter what they felt on the inside. We have it appears decided to radically change that philosophy. Now we are saying what matters is what the person feels and are allowing people to self identify what used to be dictated by biology. I can adjust to that change, but it is not acceptable if it only applies to gender. Either what you feel inside matters more than biology or it doesn't, and it is that simple for me.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:02 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I honestly don't know. All I do know is that if someone tells me they feel they are in the wrong body, then it is going to create problems for them that I do not experience, I can't begin to tell them how to live with that disconnect because I have never experienced it, and I certainly shouldn't tell someone that they aren't really feeling what they say they do. How would I know? In the past we have told people that their bodies were what they were and that they needed to learn to come to terms with that, no matter what they felt on the inside. We have it appears decided to radically change that philosophy. Now we are saying what matters is what the person feels and are allowing people to self identify what used to be dictated by biology. I can adjust to that change, but it is not acceptable if it only applies to gender. Either what you feel inside matters more than biology or it doesn't, and it is that simple for me.
I believe people should live the life they see fit, as long as they don't harm others.

As far as the question posed by this thread, and the ongoing direct comparison people are making between the two, I don't think they're the same.

And it does matter, because it determines to some extent how we deal with it.

That doesn't mean I don't think one has the right to live the life they choose. Fabricating everything in your past is going to call your motivation into question, however. It's hard for me to believe she authentically is anything she claims at this point.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:09 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Admittedly, I feel that transgender people suffer from psychological problems--and I sympathize with that. I just don't feel that people are born the wrong gender. (Those w/ biological abnormalities have different issues.)
That would be an interesting topic to have on here. Or it could lead to drama.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:15 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I saw an interview, during which a transgender person said that people claiming to be "transracial" are an offense to transgender people.

Admittedly, I feel that transgender people suffer from psychological problems--and I sympathize with that. I just don't feel that people are born the wrong gender. (Those w/ biological abnormalities have different issues.)

Having said that, if you truly believe people are born the wrong gender, why can't they be born the wrong race? I don't understand the transracial outrage from the transgender community. Maybe the interview was just one lone voice?

I don't have a link to the interview, but here are different perspectives:

NYU Professor Weighs In On Rachel Dolezal "Trans-Racial" Controversy: Gothamist

Is 'Transracial' Identity Real? 11 Opinions That Will Leave You Thinking | Essence.com
No, they're both absurd. A guy can get breast implants and take hormone therapy, but guess what? He still has a Y chromosome. A white person can put on enough makeup to pass as a light-skinned black, but guess what? He's still a Caucasian.

Wanting to be something other than what you are doesn't make it so.

To quote that great philosopher Frank Zappa:

Do you know what you are?
You are what you is.
You is what you am.
A cow don't make ham.
You ain't what you're not,
So see what you got.
You are what you is,
And that's all it is.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
So if every rich white kid who acts like a wigger an African American too?

Enough is enough. Transgendered people should be mad that this transracial circus is actually being considered as a real thing.
Why? DNA tests on some white individuals has indicated that they have some African ancestry. Why can't they consider themselves mixed?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
If you 'are' anything you 'think' you are then it goes from being off-beat, as in 'I'm a psychic', to goofy, as in 'I'm really an Eskimo', to deluded, e.g. 'I'm really the other sex', to dangerous, as in 'This NOT MY LEG - cut it off!' to whack-a-doodle, as in 'I'm actually a GOAT'!

Where does it end?

Oh, yeah, and I'm really a midget, just a real tall one!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:16 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,432 times
I have no problem with it. If one feels more affinity to a certain ethnic group even if you are not that ethnic group, why not? If you can identify with the opposite gender, why not with another racial/ethnic group?

I can't debate the science behind it and won't attempt to.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
That would be an interesting topic to have on here. Or it could lead to drama.
Check out the Sex Change Regret thread on the Psychology forum.
It gets pretty interesting.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Check out the Sex Change Regret thread on the Psychology forum.
It gets pretty interesting.

That sounds interesting! I will definitely check it out.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Be the first "transspecies". Then you might get to go on the TV circuit. Bark up a storm and think nothing of it because we don't have a national language you know
I think its already been done.

Cat Man - the human 'tiger' who enjoys climbing trees and eats raw meat every day | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.