Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:09 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

If there is one thing about this country that makes absolutely no sense is this stupid, lazy, car-centric culture.

After having spent sometime in Europe, it is really hard to become one of the sheep- so I ride my bicycle to work everyday and there is nothing better!

I was comparing obesity rates in countries like Germany and the Netherlands-where walking and riding a bicycle is widespread and they are about 10%. The United States will have obesity rate of 75% by the year 2020.

Something has definitely gone wrong here!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
If there is one thing about this country that makes absolutely no sense is this stupid, lazy, car-centric culture.

After having spent sometime in Europe, it is really hard to become one of the sheep- so I ride my bicycle to work everyday and there is nothing better!

I was comparing obesity rates in countries like Germany and the Netherlands-where walking and riding a bicycle is widespread and they are about 10%. The United States will have obesity rate of 75% by the year 2020.

Something has definitely gone wrong here!
When you get to be my age (59) you`ll lose your enthusism for pedalling uphill but I understand what you`re saying. Most European countries have very good rail systems and they`re not addicted to driving. Our driving addiction is getting unaffordable when you consider the state of our highways and bridges and the cost to maintain them not to mention outrageous military expenditures to keep the oil flowing.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:34 AM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
Good for you! Isn't it great to have the freedom to choose? As someone who lived over a decade in Europe, I have quite the opposite view. I love my car and the freedom it brings.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
Good for you! Isn't it great to have the freedom to choose? As someone who lived over a decade in Europe, I have quite the opposite view. I love my car and the freedom it brings.

Yes choice is a great thing. Im pro choice in everything

Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
When you get to be my age (59) you`ll lose your enthusism for pedalling uphill but I understand what you`re saying. Most European countries have very good rail systems and they`re not addicted to driving. Our driving addiction is getting unaffordable when you consider the state of our highways and bridges and the cost to maintain them not to mention outrageous military expenditures to keep the oil flowing.
I'd say I have a couple of weeks on you (67), and I use my bicycle for virtually everything. If it won't fit in the basket on the bike, I also have a small trailer to pull behind it.... Like for grocery shopping. I don't have a problem going 10+ miles one way. And, no, it is not electric or gasoline powered.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I'd say I have a couple of weeks on you (67), and I use my bicycle for virtually everything. If it won't fit in the basket on the bike, I also have a small trailer to pull behind it.... Like for grocery shopping. I don't have a problem going 10+ miles one way. And, no, it is not electric or gasoline powered.
Good for you but riding a bike in Fla. is nothing like riding a bike in southwestern Pa. We have hills...lots of them.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
It comes down to population density.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I work 12 hours and live 25 miles away. No, I won't be riding my bike. Move closer? My wife works three blocks from home and walks.

I'm 50. 5' 11 and weigh 170lbs. I'll not be giving up beer to get down below that either.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:19 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
the only driving i like doing is on the track. I hate driving on public roads. Walking and cycling makes me feel much better. Just not sitting in a metal box like a rat in traffic does wonders to reduce your stress.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It comes down to population density.
Indeed. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, depending on one's mindset), American cities have been built on the promise of suburbs which, in most cases, do not allow for higher density. Even if one wants to maintain low density (and there are certainly benefits to having low density areas), urban planners could have incorporated options into their designs. Until recently, they have failed to do so. Instead, they have focused on pure bedroom communities that offer nothing else unless you get into a car.

This, of course, has started to change and there are more and more communities that either attempt to fake an urban experience, or which incorporate suburb design around a central core. Such planned communities are hit or miss these days and there seems to be a general lack of experience when it comes to properly designing such places AND getting the public to accept and adopt such designs.

One place that has long struck me as a great mix of the two is a few miles south of Atlanta. Developers in the 1950's decided to built a suburban city from the ground up. They centered the various subdivisions around three "villages" - or shopping centers, if you will - that offer all the essential services from groceries to clothing to toy stores. The city also incorporated various outdoor recreation areas - such as lakes and many, many public parks.

Next, they connected all neighborhoods by a system of multi-use pathways that are off-limit to cars and which are generally far removed from automobile traffic. Thus, residents can run their errands, bring their kids to school, go to work, etc. either on foot or by bicycle. In addition, the municipality allows golf carts to use these paths. There are something like 11,000 households of which 9,000 own a golf cart - more than anywhere else in the world.

It is one of the very few, but also one of the earliest, planned communities conceptualized around the idea of providing alternative modes of transportation and thereby, engender a more tight-nit community.

The community has been very well accepted and particularly draws young families with children. As a result, the city is vibrant, very much alive, neighbors generally know each other, schools are excellent, etc.

Peachtree City, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One must also take into account the much larger distances we have here in the US. When I ride my bike in Europe (and I do so quite often), it only takes me a few minutes from one town to the next. Sometimes, it's just two km to the next town, sometimes as much as five. Here in the US, the distance between two towns can easily be 20 miles or more...I do ride my bike a lot in my neck of the woods in part because there are converted rail road lines that connect various towns - it is NOTHING like riding from one town to the next in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies