Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 AM

414 posts, read 398,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_guy View Post
i'd venture to say most black americans have never been to africa. It's the pc thing that has seriously degraded our country.

exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:06 AM

18,944 posts, read 43,390,258 times
Here in the South most black people are not offended by being called "black", they call themselves that. "African American" seems to be something people up north created, nobody down here uses that term, I know I only hear it on TV.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:31 AM

28,620 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'd venture to say most black Americans have never been to Africa. It's the PC thing that has seriously degraded our country.
How is it a single term that most black people don't even use ourselves has "seriously degraded our country?" What a weak-butt country it must be that is "seriously degraded" by a single word.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,424,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
So what do you call a black man that is visiting the US temporarily but originally from England? To me he is black, to others he is an African American which is completely wrong.
Same with AmerAsian. I worked with a Japanese girl from England working in NY

First they would call her Japanese, but she is not Japanese

Then since her father was white and mother from Japan they call her Amerasian, but she is not from America.

Then they call her Asian and she would say but I am English

Old 06-19-2015, 10:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,222,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Here in the South most black people are not offended by being called "black", they call themselves that. "African American" seems to be something people up north created, nobody down here uses that term, I know I only hear it on TV.
I'm from Philadelphia and I can't stand being called "African-American". It's a term that I can't identify with. I have never steeped foot in Africa, nor do I have a connection to Africa (besides ancestral). I want to be called American, but calling me a black or black American is fine with me. I speak like an American, my culture is American, the food I eat is American, etc.

When I went to Paris this past March on a study abroad trip, NO ONE in France was calling me an "African-American" or "black American"; they were calling me "the American" (Le garcon d'American). It felt great! I can't wait until we drop the color or ethnic identifier that comes before American and just start calling each other Americans. Besides, there is no title greater than American, so something coming before American would not work.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:32 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,442,266 times
I have heard from most black people they don't like AA and colored is just mean and they want to be referred as black. Thats what I call them by.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 06-19-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:35 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,538,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnitegracie View Post
'African-American' Is the Correct Term to Use - NYTimes.com

Jesse Jackson pushed the term "African American" on us in the late 80's
It was very popular in higher education too.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM

28,620 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
When I went to Paris this past March on a study abroad trip, NO ONE in France was calling me an "African-American" or "black American"; they were calling me "the American" (Le garcon d'American). It felt great! I can't wait until we drop the color or ethnic identifier that comes before American and just start calling each other Americans. Besides, there is no title greater than American, so something coming before American would not work.
Wait, haven't the French heard than everyone on this continent is technically "American" so they can't use that term to specify a citizen of the United States? Someone took pains to explain that to us just a few posts back.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:52 AM

251 posts, read 272,606 times
Well doesn't seem to matter where you are from ask Amadou Diallo. If you are of a darker hue in Amerikkka seems as though you are screwed either way. Black seems easier to identify since that's all that folks truly see when they first see a person. Not if they are from Trinidad or South Africa. If your skin is without a lot of melanin, you can blend in easier and assimilate to the white supremacist society that is set in place in the USA.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:56 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,442,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiara4life View Post
Well doesn't seem to matter where you are from ask Amadou Diallo. If you are of a darker hue in Amerikkka seems as though you are screwed either way. Black seems easier to identify since that's all that folks truly see when they first see a person. Not if they are from Trinadad or South Africa. If your skin is without a lot of melanin, you can blend in easier and assimilate to the white supremacist society that is set in place in the USA.
LMAO America has a lot of racists but its not as bad as you are making it out to be. Every country has racism its a world issue sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies