Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

I've never understood them being described as "black". They are really more of a brown color, some darker brown than others. We could refer to them as Brownies, but that is already taken by young girl scouts. But it does have a nice, friendly ring to it.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 07:09 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Why describe people based on their skin color anyway? It's a meaningless attribute that only the truly unintelligent think it important.

Is it offensive? Not really. People are used to be grouped in with people who share a common skin tone. It's pointless and ignorant, but not offensive.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Name should be used for the race of African and Afro-Caribbean immigrants to the USA?

Ironically, recent immigrants from Liberia in a way have a right to identify as "African American" (INSTEAD of "Liberian American") because the nation of Liberia was created by former slaves who fled the USA for their homeland in the Old World. But I wonder... did the original African American settlers of Liberia intermarry with people from other African countries, people who had lived in Africa since time immemorial?

And what right to the term "African American" do Cuban Americans of African origin have? Or Puerto Ricans of African origin either on the island or in the 50 states?
Assuming you're NOT black, why do you care so much what they call themselves?

Old 06-18-2015, 07:56 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
i think most west indians wouldnt be offended by being called african-american (even though they technically arent -- okay maybe most are west african lineage due to middle passage... but with a long enough timeline, evidence suggests all homo erectus descendants are east african). but if it is contextually important someone mite correct you and let you know they're family is from the west indies.

i think black is more generic because since the 70's/80's there is a large migration of non southern african-american slave descendants. same as you wouldnt refer to all caucasions as italian-americans or (par exemple) korean-americans as chinese-american...

Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 AM

309 posts, read 515,862 times
It's natural to want to call out the "exceptions."

Male nurse. Female doctor. Short basketball player.

This is a way to claim some group is dominant, while the others are less significant.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
"SIGH* I hate when this topic comes up, because it always results in a bunch of know-it-all white people trying to give black people geography and history lessons about our own ancestry, and trying to tell us what we should call ourselves...

Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
"SIGH* I hate when this topic comes up, because it always results in a bunch of know-it-all white people trying to give black people geography and history lessons about our own ancestry, and trying to tell us what we should call ourselves...
It's the same privilege of cultural domination that they have always presumed for themselves.

It's like someone saying, "Hello, my name is Pete" and getting the response, "Your name should not be Pete, your name should be Bill because I think Bill is more logical for someone like you."

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Why describe people based on their skin color anyway? It's a meaningless attribute that only the truly unintelligent think it important.

Is it offensive? Not really. People are used to be grouped in with people who share a common skin tone. It's pointless and ignorant, but not offensive.

It is very useful when the police are taking a report on some crime. You will hear the dispatcher ask, "Is the robber, killer, etc. black, white, or Hispanic." Then they know better who they are looking for.

Don

Old 06-18-2015, 08:20 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's the same privilege of cultural domination that they have always presumed for themselves.

It's like someone saying, "Hello, my name is Pete" and getting the response, "Your name should not be Pete, your name should be Bill because I think Bill is more logical for someone like you."
LOL, basically.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:25 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
The media--run by a bunch of old white men--use whatever term they want to use and always have. Their methodology is more subtle than most people think, but if the term "African-American" riles you so much about black people, that's probably their intended effect.
Old white men?
Why leave out that most are Jewish, or is that too un-PC for you to say?
Yet you have no problem pointing out the race and age.
So I guess if I were the PC type, I could say you were bigoted based on race, age and religion (I would have assumed you were anti-Christian without any evidence to support my emotion based assumption).

Quote:
Now you're saying "black"--not "African-American," which you were supposedly railing against. Is your problem the terminology...or is it really the race?
I have no clue what you are saying. I always say black. Always have and always will. Maybe you are mixing me up with someone who is afflicted with PC, which I certainly am not.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies