Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:53 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,169,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFarrell View Post
No, it's because you've got the joke wrong - it's the radical Left that hates the Pope.
LOL. How could you missed the very first post of this thread?!

The Pope IS the radical left!!

Old 06-20-2015, 03:28 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,314,696 times
Physicist/cosmologist Lawrence Krauss comments on the Pope's Encyclical:

Ideology Subsumes Empiricism in Pope's Climate Encyclical

Old 06-20-2015, 08:31 AM

209 posts, read 133,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
LOL. How could you missed the very first post of this thread?!

The Pope IS the radical left!!
I'm very aware of that. This Pope is unusual in that sense - However, within this new encyclical, he condemns both abortion and homosexuality (etc.) This hasn't been widely reported on yet and might change favorable opinions of him.

Typically, the radical Left don't like most Popes, and that includes the radical Left within the Church!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
So instead of learning about the science, you read a book (or claim to) by an American conservative Catholic political scientist who still thinks there are Communists under his bed, thinks that Obama is a Communist, and speaks for the Koch brothers funded Heritage Foundation. From this, you believe mainstream science worldwide is all a massive Communist plot to take over the world? Did you hear about him from the Glen Beck show? It's Kengor btw, not Krengor.

Have you ever considered the possibility that it's you who has been 'Duped'?

By the way, when exactly do you think global warming will 'fizzle out' and how? On what scientific evidence do you base that statement? Do you believe the laws of physics are a Communist plot too?
You don't know the first thing about me and who and what I've studied. But seeing as you've revealed yourself to be a Lefty, I can understand your resistance to discuss Climate Change or Communism rationally.

Not all scientists are aboard Climate Change bandwagon that the climate is caused by man or be controlled by man. Have you been unaware of that differing scientific opinion? Have you yourself been 'Duped?'

I suggested Kengor's book because it was a good starter book in the field. You want something more academic, read Richard Pipes histories on Soviet History - he's a well known expert on the field in academia.
Oh, wait, Pipes is a conservative, so I suppose you'll find some excuse to avoid learning from his research too.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Actually, we don't really know anything. Maybe it's wishful thinking or speculation on all our parts to think we know what's best. All I can say is that we better take care of this planet for our future generations and not be so smug and arrogant to think we don't affect it. You don't have to read a book to learn....just use common sense.
I agree that we are stewards of the earth, and it doesn't take anything but common sense to know that we need unpolluted air and water, and that we need plants to grow on earth.

This can all be realized locally using our common sense without a worldwide political movement manipulating and gaining control over the population through regulations and taxes.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Physicist/cosmologist Lawrence Krauss comments on the Pope's Encyclical:

Ideology Subsumes Empiricism in Pope's Climate Encyclical
Good article about a scientific theory from a scientific journal. I agree that the scientific information in the encyclical about the climate seems to be spoon-fed. The theology, however, is definitely Catholic Doctrine.

'No one can fault Pope Francis’s intentions, which are clearly praiseworthy, but his call for action on climate change is compromised by his adherence to doctrines that are based on revelation and not evidence. The Catholic Church and its leaders can never be truly objective and useful arbiters of human behavior until they are willing to dispense with doctrine that can thwart real progress.'

I would remind the author that not everything revolves around known science, certainly not revelation, the concern of Church Doctrine.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:50 AM

260 posts, read 216,663 times
He is as bad as some of the Borgia Popes.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:15 AM

25,728 posts, read 16,346,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bueller View Post
He is as bad as some of the Borgia Popes.
Just because he believes in Global Warming or are there other reasons?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:46 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,630,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFarrell View Post
I agree that we are stewards of the earth, and it doesn't take anything but common sense to know that we need unpolluted air and water, and that we need plants to grow on earth.

This can all be realized locally using our common sense without a worldwide political movement manipulating and gaining control over the population through regulations and taxes.
Indeed, this CO2 centered "climate change" nonsense has served as a harmful distraction from issues of reducing real pollutants, which we are all in favor of.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:49 AM

11,573 posts, read 13,886,688 times
Will he be issuing a dire church child molestation warning next week or is he going to try and get the whole Climate Change deal taken care of first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies