Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:19 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Would love to go on more but this is a public forum and I use my Real Name and am not hiding behind a user name.
With social media lynching becoming more common, that might not be a great idea unless you are self employed.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times
The prison system in the U.S. is actually a business and we are putting people in jail for far too many minor offenses. The proliferation of guns in the U.S. and the deaths by guns show that this country could do better without all the guns. Religion in the U.S. is a joke. We have close to 40% of the population who rejects evolutionary theory and another sizeable portion who believe that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old, thanks to those who think the Bible is the word of some God. We are a joke of a country in many ways. Oh and one other thing, just because I live in Texas doesn't mean I'm another gun toting Christian. Actually the opposite.

The Prison Industry in the United States: Big Business or a New Form of Slavery? | Global Research - Centre for Research on Globalization

Ten Dumb Pro-Gun Arguments Debunked - Brett S. Morris

Ignorance vs. "Cosmos": The Dumbing Down Of America

Old 06-17-2015, 04:38 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I think you have accurately portrayed the views of left wing European politicians, but having lived in Europe for a number of years (as opposed to a visit), I think the average European has a much more positive view of the US than you know, and if the immigration laws were not so heavily skewed to counter/limit European immigration in favor of third world nations (particularly Latin and South American nations), the immigrations statistics alone would demonstrate many Europeans want to be here, and still view the US as a place of freedom and opportunity.
That's because they don't necessarily follow up the current events

Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
The prison system in the U.S. is actually a business and we are putting people in jail for far too many minor offenses. The proliferation of guns in the U.S. and the deaths by guns show that this country could do better without all the guns. Religion in the U.S. is a joke. We have close to 40% of the population who rejects evolutionary theory and another sizeable portion who believe that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old, thanks to those who think the Bible is the word of some God. We are a joke of a country in many ways. Oh and one other thing, just because I live in Texas doesn't mean I'm another gun toting Christian. Actually the opposite.

The Prison Industry in the United States: Big Business or a New Form of Slavery? | Global Research - Centre for Research on Globalization

If I thought the way you did about my country I would move out. Have you considered that option? Surely you would be happier somewhere else. France maybe.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
The United States does a lot of things well. Even criminal justice, in many ways, is done very well here. But the incarceration rate is not one of those things done well, to put it mildly. Mass-incarceration clearly is not the solution.

Some states actually understand this - remember, criminal justice is mostly conducted by the states. And the states which tend to have lower incarceration rates tend to have lower crime rates as well. They're accomplishing what the Lock-'em-up-and-throw-away-the-key! states are failing to accomplish. And they're doing it without spending the ridiculous amounts of money it costs to incarcerate such large percentages of the population.

Prison Populations and State Incarceration Rate Data
https://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank21.html

So what's wrong with those high-incarceration/high-crime states? They're more interested in the warm fuzzy We're-gettin'-tough feeling than actually lowering crime, that's what. They just can't bring themselves to face reality - ie, the evidence of how the real word works - and see that their methods are failing. So on they go, doing the same thing over and over, without any real results.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:45 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:

Well, you are in the minority when it comes to guns. The latest Rasmussen Poll shows that 68% of Americans would prefer to live in an area that allowed citizens to own guns.

Here in America, we're kind of all about freedom. Sorry that upsets you.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I'll only really agree with the Prison part.. We need to utilize a lot more alternative sentencing and lighter sentences.. Yeah, that's not popular, but.. There's too many people locked up.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:04 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll only really agree with the Prison part.. We need to utilize a lot more alternative sentencing and lighter sentences.. Yeah, that's not popular, but.. There's too many people locked up.
Both ends of the spectrum need to be trimmed. The laws need to stop incarcerating people for drug use and the rapists and murderers need to be killed.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default We Are America. Let Europe Be Europe

Quote:
I am a citizen of the U.S. and this is basically how I view the U.S. now and how a number of people throughout the world especially Europe see us as a country. I think the U.S. is and has been the laughing stock of other parts due to these 3 societal things. Anybody want to respond either from the U.S. or outside.
Why in the cornbread world must America have to be another Europe? I like America just like the way it's been for more than 200 years, and we ought to be thankful that we still have the things we do have, like freedom, liberty, and prosperity (in spite of recent intentions by our government to rid us of those things).

Old 06-17-2015, 05:08 PM

177 posts, read 193,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I think you have accurately portrayed the views of left wing European politicians, but having lived in Europe for a number of years (as opposed to a visit), I think the average European has a much more positive view of the US than you know, and if the immigration laws were not so heavily skewed to counter/limit European immigration in favor of third world nations (particularly Latin and South American nations), the immigrations statistics alone would demonstrate many Europeans want to be here, and still view the US as a place of freedom and opportunity.
No, no there's no admiration for the US in Europe otherwise we'd look to change Europe-wide culture to emulate it. Prison Happy, Gun Happy, Religion Happy are attributes that in Europe are scorned.

We don't have a prison culture, nor a gun culture - in fact we are as a group adverse to it and reject it wholesale. Religion again is almost dead as a native thing in Europe. Europe is a growing secular region and has been for a long time.

In respect of looking to the US in regard to freedom, that's a sad joke. I don't think you have a clue how Europeans view the US as a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies