Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You can bang your head all you like. Carter got a higher percentage of White votes than Clinton did. I know my history. I wasn't talking about "the popular vote." That's based on total number of votes. Read my post again.

If I wrote that Obama is the 44th President, would I need a link? You either know your political facts or you don't.
This is true. But Obama isn't the best candidate among whites since Carter - Bill Clinton is. In 1996, Clinton took 44% of the white vote, compared to 43% for Obama in 2008. And than 1% margin is misleading - Ross Perot bled off a lot of white votes. Clinton's margin of the white votes split between himself and Dole was well above 44%, whereas in 2008 there was no third-party candidate of any note (Perot won 8.4% of the vote in 1996, with the remaining minor candidates splitting another 1.4% of the vote - in 2008, only 1.4% of the vote went to anyone other than Obama or McCain). So Clinton did substantially better in 1996 among whites than Obama did in 2008.
Obama performance with white voters on par with other Democrats - First Read

No real surprise though. First, Carter - like Clinton - was a Southerner. The electorate is radically different than it was in 1976, and fairly different than in 1996 as well.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
One of the craziest things is he went and sat for an hour with the victims. How could you sit with people for an hour and then just get up and kill them? That's pretty disconnected from humanity. I wonder if he was on anything.
I'm sure his defense attorney will throw much spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks.

Hopefully, the wall is made of Teflon.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,908,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Last I checked there were over a thousand church fires a year. With about 30% belived to be Arson. How many of those 300 churhces were black? And, how many were confirmed to be racially related?
It is difficult to prove that someone is racially motivated in a court of law. An individual would have to almost admit being a bigot to be found guilty of the charge. It took 31 years to convict noted white supermacy leader Byron De La Beckwith of the murder of Medgar Evers. An entire community and most of the world knew that man was racially motivated however knowing something and proving it in a white dominated court system is an entirely different matter.

In 2013, the most recent year for which federal data is available, the FBI identified 3,563 victims of racially motivated hate crimes. Black victims constituted 66 percent of the total. 21 percent were victims of anti-white bias. 4.6 percent were victims of anti-Asian bias. And 4.5 percent were victims of anti-Native American bias. (Most of these hate crimes were not fatal.) If Wednesday’s attack is confirmed to be a hate crime (as authorities said in early reports) or domestic terrorism, it will share horrific similarities with the 2012 attack on a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, where a white supremacist killed 6 people, as well as other attacks here and abroad on synagogues, mosques, and churches by religious bigots.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:25 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
Hopefully this will allow hand guns to be banned for good in America. The second amendment is a dated and barbaric law. As a Canadian I will never understand the American affinity for guns. The fact is they are made to kill.

And.. I hate to say it but America really needs some racial healing. White and black relations seem especially poor it seems. People need to learn to love each other regardless of their skin colour. Race is a man made concept. We're all the same.

Millions of us know are rights and will never allow our gun rights to be taken. Its insulting to hear a Canadian call our rights "barbaric". I respect the differences between Canada and the US including your limiting of guns and free speech. Its not my business to criticize what goes on there. Not nice to point your finger at your friendly neighbor in such a judgemental way. Now the act this animal carried out is barbaric, and his punishment should be swift and severe. The chair or gallows is what he deserves. We have more of this violence today for several reasons, 1. we give these wingnuts attention for it 2. we don't hang every single one of them 3. they are not raised right, and lack a relationship with God.

We have had the 2nd amendment for over 200 years but only the last 20 has brought so much violence. The problem is our society not our gun rights. Im tired of reactionaries taking away my rights every time something bad happens in this world. Look at how many rights we surrendered after 9-11, and here on this forum left wing types are offering to surrender more freedom as an answer to this crime. HANG THE CRIMINALS, how about that? Sadly this joker will stir up more racial tension, so in that respect he has gotten what he wished for.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
Another day another mass slaughter in good ole USA.

One day you guys will realize...one day...

Old 06-18-2015, 04:27 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes. If there were a law against buying a gun for a gift that would have made a big difference. This man should have gone through a process in order to obtain a weapon; background check, waiting period, etc.
Once he went through that, do you think that would have stopped him?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Millions of us know are rights and will never allow our gun rights to be taken. Its insulting to hear a Canadian call our rights "barbaric". I respect the differences between Canada and the US including your limiting of guns and free speech. Its not my business to criticize what goes on there. Not nice to point your finger at your friendly neighbor in such a judgemental way. Now the act this animal carried out is barbaric, and his punishment should be swift and severe. The chair or gallows is what he deserves. We have more of this violence today for several reasons, 1. we give these wingnuts attention for it 2. we don't hang every single one of them 3. they are not raised right, and lack a relationship with God.

We have had the 2nd amendment for over 200 years but only the last 20 has brought so much violence. The problem is our society not our gun rights. Im tired of reactionaries taking away my rights every time something bad happens in this world. Look at how many rights we surrendered after 9-11, and here on this forum left wing types are offering to surrender more freedom as an answer to this crime. HANG THE CRIMINALS, how about that? Sadly this joker will stir up more racial tension, so in that respect he has gotten what he wished for.
do you HONESTLY think other countries have FEWER criminals, crazies, gangs, offended virgins?

We don't...we have just as many.

The big difference is, here, (Australia) they ARENT ARMED.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:29 PM

575 posts, read 615,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Another day another mass slaughter in good ole USA.

One day you guys will realize...one day...
don't overestimate us

Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Sounds as if the killer was first tracked when he used an ATM Card in Charlotte (about 200 miles from Charleston). He was picked up on CCTV at the gas station where he used it.

He then made it to Shelby, NC which is another 50 miles or so west of Charlotte. Maybe he was headed to the NC mountains as this is almost in the foot hills. Shelby is in the foothills.

If so then he was heading to the same area to hide where Eric Rudolph (Atlanta olympics bomber) for a long time before getting caught.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 PM

335 posts, read 376,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
do you HONESTLY think other countries have FEWER criminals, crazies, gangs, offended virgins?

We don't...we have just as many.

The big difference is, here, (Australia) they ARENT ARMED.
Oh really what about the muslim that took the hostages in the chocolate shop in Sydney. He was out on bail for murder and was armed with a shotgun, 3 or 4 people died in that situation. So before you spew false statements you should get your facts straight mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.