Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 02:44 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
He killed more people than the Boston Marathon Bombers and they were called terrorist. I didn't see any arguments calling for those kids to be labeled mentally ill.
I think that had something to do with the fact that we were warned about the older brother by the Russian Government, and that he was at a militant training camp there. So, yeah they fit the terrorist mold.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:44 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
He killed more people than the Boston Marathon Bombers and they were called terrorist. I didn't see any arguments calling for those kids to be labeled mentally ill.
Why should there have been? The reason its questioned here is the report he is on psychiatric drugs.

Does that mean he is? Of course not but it gives one a reason to question whether or not he is.

I don't see much use in the labels. Terrorist, mass murder, etc. The end result is all the same.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Well the opinion jury is still out on Hinkley's "insanity". I never would have declared him
legally insane if I was on that jury.
IMO, based on what I have read about Roof, he is not legally insane either.
But you are right, the jury is still out on that one....
It's really irrelevant what you say you would have done.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Getting a free pass on the terrorist label. Is that better? Garbage is when you nikpick two words out of an entire post. Do you want to write it for me?
$1.00 a word.

What difference does it make if we call them a terrorist or mass murderer?

Old 06-20-2015, 03:01 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
$1.00 a word.

What difference does it make if we call them a terrorist or mass murderer?
If you're apathetic over what he is called then why respond to my post? Just keep it breezy and move on.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:07 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I keep highlighting the drug issue, but it doesn't get much traction. It always goes back to guns and mental illness.
Yep-because our media is on the same team as the drug manufacturers. It seems 1 out of 3 commercials is pushing some type of drug. We are the only nation in the World that allows drug manufacturers to advertise directly to the consumer-70% of Americans are on at least one prescription and we pay more for them than any other nation in the World.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:14 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Can Suboxone make you a racist, hateful bigot? Doubtful...
Other psych meds, like SSRIs, might disinhibit someone enough to let the world know:

"What was measured in this SSRI study is likely similar to the limited, social “disinhibition” that sometimes occurs during SSRI use that has been noticed by many clinicians since the launch of Prozac decades ago. It is not a global type of disinhibition such as that caused by alcohol, but rather a limited type - a move away from excessive shyness, shame responses, and feelings of social subordination (”cringing” before others). Indeed, this is probably the mechanism by which SSRIs alleviate social anxiety (social phobia). Some adults have welcomed this effect as freeing and empowering; others have become worried that they might not censor their speech enough."

Can SSRI antidepressants change your personality? - Wellsphere

Or worse.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:14 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Can Suboxone make you a racist, hateful bigot? Doubtful...
Good point-mental capacity is irrelevant in this case IMO-especially with the confession and racist rhetoric.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:22 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
That, and to let the family members speak, which is very uncommon for a bond hearing. They did great.
I get letting them speak, but that is usually reserved for a sentencing hearing post-conviction. Letting them talk at the bond hearing may have been a poor legal move. Even if family members forgave him, that still implies guilt because you don't forgive someone who didn't wrong you. I can see Roof's defense attorney successfully protesting the family member's statements as being inappropriate and adversely reflecting on the presumption of innocence due Mr. Roof. It might put the entire prosecution in jeopardy. If Roof is found not guilty, I do have hope that Charleston won't riot. They have shown incredible grace in the face of enormous stress.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:41 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I get letting them speak, but that is usually reserved for a sentencing hearing post-conviction. Letting them talk at the bond hearing may have been a poor legal move.
South Carolina's Victims' Rights Act mandates that victims be notified of all procedures, including bond hearings. It allows victims to make oral or written statements at bond hearings.

A victim is defined as "any individual who suffers direct or threatened physical, psychological, or financial harm as the result of the commission or attempted commission of a criminal offense, as defined in this section. 'Victim also includes any individual's spouse, parent, child or the lawful representative of a victim who is : (a) deceased; (b) a minor; (c) incompetent; or (d) physically or psychologically incapacitated."
(source: South Carolina Bench Book for Summary Court Judges - Criminal Section
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies