Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 05:48 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
A 13-year-old is a "teen," too (nice thread [and article] title, BTW. How did I know the range would be from one end of the teens to the other?).

So what if the age of consent in some states is 17? That's irrelevant.

The girl was 14. Case closed.
The girl is 14, not 17 like she maliciously stated on her dating profile.

Btw, don't you need to be 17-18 at least to use those sorts of apps? I wonder if she could get in trouble by signing up as a 14 year old..

Old 06-18-2015, 06:05 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
No one over 18 should be having sex with anyone under 18. It's that simple. A 14 year old shouldn't be having sex with anyone at all. And until the laws change, everyone should be very aware of age differences and possible legal consequences.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No one over 18 should be having sex with anyone under 18. It's that simple.
If we had such a law, and it were enforced, then basically no one would be having sex until they were at least 30 or so.

There is no way to know someone's age with 100% certainty based on appearance alone, so you would basically have to wait until there was no way in hell prospective partners could be anywhere close to 18.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And you damn kids get out of my yard!!

He's legally an adult. Period. Subject to the rules of being an adult, which includes no sex with 14 year olds. At one minute over 18 he's held as liable as a 30, 50, or 70 year old. No excuses, no exceptions.

And he got caught. Too damn bad.

He had ample reason to make sure of what he KNEW. What the girl and her mom feel is irrelevant. If mom is so concerned, she should be raising her daughter a bit better.

He's not a kid, he's a man. And he willingly chose to ruin his own life. Don't blame the judge.
16 in Michigan

Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Said no one with a fully functioning mind.
This. Some people truly frighten me with their mindset. To argue that this kid deserves to have his life ruined over this is asinine at best.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Lol, complete BS. This is one "law" that needs absolute changing. The woman lied about her age big time, and she gets off scot free.

Also, even if you do check ID, the woman could still have a fake ID. Some 14 year olds do look like they are in their late teens/early 20's.

The guy shouldn't have been in prison for 1 second.

^THIS

I was at a sports dinner and there were a bunch of girls "dressed to the nines" with slit gowns, spaghetti strapped low cut tops, and very well done make up, etc......many of the guys there (me included) thought they were college cheerleaders in their early to mid 20's s and there were a few comments about how hot they were, nice bodies/racks, etc. Turns out they were high school cheerleaders aged 15 - 16....oops....but in the defense of those assuming otherwise, there is NO WAY these girls looked that young. I'm sure the dresses/makeup had a lot to do with it but there are definite times where people don't look their age or develop much sooner.

I'm not saying that it makes them more likely to have sex or that it's ok BUT, when a female lies about it saying she's older how/why would one doubt it or check it?? ID checking....really? So now at every possible meet up a guy is supposed to ask a girl for her ID??

Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
If we had such a law, and it were enforced, then basically no one would be having sex until they were at least 30 or so.

There is no way to know someone's age with 100% certainty based on appearance alone, so you would basically have to wait until there was no way in hell prospective partners could be anywhere close to 18.
Pure hyperbole. You're being ridiculous and you know it. Two "kids" who are seniors in college know they're both over 18. It also might be a good idea to get to know the people you're sleeping with. Maybe. Possibly.

You also conveniently left out the part of my post where I said that until the laws are changed people should be aware of their partners age.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:36 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

It's all risk vs. reward. Having sex with a stranger carries risk (STDs, pregnancy, the person could be violent) this is another risk, you might risk having sex with someone underage. You could also end up having sex with someone's spouse or whatever and have an angry spouse after you.

The way to avoid this risk (having sex with someone underage) is not to have sex with random strangers who look young. Get to know them and generally you can figure this stuff out. Or if you are going to hook up, hook up with people you know are older (like a cougar).

Like another poster said, for decades guys have known about being careful around "jailbait" it's not a new concept. And this guy screwed up. Yeah, it stinks and I think in this case the spirit of the law is such that he doesn't deserve to be on the sex offenders list the rest of his life (since he was tricked). I hope there is some appeal where he doesn't have to be treated like sexual predator, because I don't think he is. But the letter of the law is such that he can be.

As for the girl, she needs to be punished as well for her role in all this. There is no law though for fibbing when you are a minor, so it's up to her parents to punish her.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:41 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Pure hyperbole. You're being ridiculous and you know it. Two "kids" who are seniors in college know they're both over 18. It also might be a good idea to get to know the people you're sleeping with. Maybe. Possibly.

You also conveniently left out the part of my post where I said that until the laws are changed people should be aware of their partners age.
This is all ridiculous. I was under-18 until sophomore year in college, so no one would know unless I told them.

And we shouldn't legislate morality. There's nothing wrong with sex. Why do I have to "get to know the people I'm sleeping with?". Why is that anybody's business? I have the right to screw strangers if I so choose.

We can protect kids without putting crazy rules about sex on the books.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
It's 16 in Nevada, and there is an out for 18 year old boyfriends. These laws were meant to catch predators, not horny 18 year olds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies