Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM

939 posts, read 795,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did you read the whole thing? The judge was a egotistical jerk to both men and women. The females in this case fought for him, even the "victim" and her mom.
What a shock that a judge would be egotistical! Sit someone literally above everyone else, give them alot of authority and treat them as a deity- what do we expect?! It's ridiculous. As The Bible says, God is no respecter of persons or position, so why are we?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:56 AM

939 posts, read 795,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
another criminal judge and prosecutor

sad
I'd go so far as to say that most prosecutors and many judges deserve to be in prison MORE than the majority of inmates that are already there.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I don't think the law was written for instances like these and that the judge should have been much more lenient. A warning and some probation for the young man. I don't agree with Megan's Law in cases such as this.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
All I am saying is that you have to be very careful and not trust strangers when it is your freedom and criminal record on the line. What else are you doing to do? It's something you do need to ask yourself it would seem in this day and age. Just like you can't take e-mail from strangers at face value because it might be a scam that hurts you, you can't take this information from strangers at face value either.

I said the laws should be changed to be more just and fair, but in the meantime, you need to do what you can to protect yourself and that means being really sure of someone's age before having sex or accepting that there is a risk that you could end up with a criminal record. That is the reality of the two choices you have: risk it or don't. Only an individual knows if random sex with strangers is worth that risk or not.

And I might add there are other risks as well. It's your choice to take them (it's a free country), but other things to think about: SDTs, if there is a boyfriend or girlfriend in the picture who might hurt you, the person might rob you, might kill you (Craigslist murderer), or the person might even be sick and malicious and decide to lie and say they were raped when it was actually legal and consensual sex. It's not just worrying about age that's the issue here. Have sex with strangers if you like, but don't complain when the risky behavior results in something bad (there are whacked people out there)-- and bad things happening comes with the territory.
I hear (read) what you're saying, but at the end of the day, even if you do your DD, the person could still be lying. And I'm not just talking about hook-ups and ONS, either. It's summer, school's out, a a 19 year-old could start dating what they think is a 18 year-old (they're not in school) who actually turns out to be 16 with a fake I.D. and fake college I.D. They could meet at college during the summer, and s/he tells the 19 year-old that they're enrolled early in college and they produce a (fake) college I.D., but it turns out s/he is only there for a camp, and is actually 16. Then they hook up and the 19 year-old gets labeled a sex offender if they get caught? Not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
A 19 y.o. is an adult just as much as a 65 y.o., and in both cases children are off limits as sexual partners. Why does junior get a pass on responsibility for his actions?
Railman said what I wanted to say better than how I would've said it. This is just foolish and really lacks common sense for you to compare a 19 year-old, sophomore in college to someone who's probably retired and in the back nine of their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
I'll be 19 very soon, but unlike a 65 Y/O I can't consume alcohol, go to clubs where there is alcohol, rent vehicles, become a police officer, do any civil service jobs in NYC except a traffic agent, amongst other things,

I still have a lot to learn and some maturing to do, I honestly don't even feel like an "adult" just two years ago I was going to I was going to PTA meetings with my parents worried about my report card.
Quote:
C'mon you two. Lib tactic #101 - ad hominem attacks. Junior grade stuff when your argument is failing. I expected better than that. How old are you two anyhow?
Oh, well that explains it. Conservative values.

Not that you had any credibility, but if you did, it just evaporated. Your self-righteousness is no better than these kids fornicating, FYI.

Also, you failed to acknowledge the possibility that, even if you ask for identification, those can be fabricated. At least TMBGBlueCanary was respectful enough to respond tactfully and make good points (thank you), instead of taking jabs and showing no compassion.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And that's my main problem. She's essentially getting off completely free. What's stopping her from deceiving another guy in the future?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Both the girl and her mother campaigned hard to get the charges dropped against the boy, this judge went rogue and didn't care about anyones opinion but his own. I lied about my age when I was a kid, too. No one should be punished here IMO.
That is one thing I never did was lie about my age. I agree that the judge was rogue, but the girl needs to be held accountable for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Prisons are about $- not justice or protecting the public.
Indeed it is. Exhibit A... the war on drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I'd go so far as to say that most prosecutors and many judges deserve to be in prison MORE than the majority of inmates that are already there.

Absolutely.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:08 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
And a 80 year old guy can marry a 19 year old if he is a billionaire.. MURICA lol

Old 06-19-2015, 10:08 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
He's an adult and he's five years older than the girl.

About half the states have adopted statutes providing for a minimum age differential between the alleged victim and defendant, but in none of those states is there a difference as great as five years.

It does sound pretty harsh, but it's pretty dangerous for someone--particularly the adult in this situation, who is supposed to be better able to make a responsible decision--to rely purely on an unsubstantiated online age claim.

My general reaction is that the defendant did do something wrong but the punishment seems excessive.
I lean this way, too. 19-14 is a big age difference, IMO. I understand that he didn't know, but I think that excuse is a slippery slope. Guess what? You meet a young girl and have sex with her, you'd better make damned sure she's of age. You fail to do that? Don't be surprised when you get prosecuted.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
That might not be a bad idea if they're not smart enough to at least get to know one another a bit before engaging in sex, particularly at such a young age.

And you're describing rape.

I'm 50+. So if I screw a 14 y.o., and say "but I thought she was 19" then I should get off scot free as well?
I know it's not popular, but I agree.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I lean this way, too. 19-14 is a big age difference, IMO. I understand that he didn't know, but I think that excuse is a slippery slope. Guess what? You meet a young girl and have sex with her, you'd better make damned sure she's of age. You fail to do that? Don't be surprised when you get prosecuted.
It is not about "he thought" she was 19, there was overwhelming evidence she portrayed herself as 19, evidence from their communication back and forth.

If it was some random hook up without any of the evidence, sure, but in this case, the evidence clearly shows she portrayed herself as being 19, and there is no evidence as to why he should have believed otherwise.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
All I am saying is that you have to be very careful and not trust strangers when it is your freedom and criminal record on the line. What else are you doing to do? It's something you do need to ask yourself it would seem in this day and age. Just like you can't take e-mail from strangers at face value because it might be a scam that hurts you, you can't take this information from strangers at face value either.

I said the laws should be changed to be more just and fair, but in the meantime, you need to do what you can to protect yourself and that means being really sure of someone's age before having sex or accepting that there is a risk that you could end up with a criminal record. That is the reality of the two choices you have: risk it or don't. Only an individual knows if random sex with strangers is worth that risk or not.

And I might add there are other risks as well. It's your choice to take them (it's a free country), but other things to think about: SDTs, if there is a boyfriend or girlfriend in the picture who might hurt you, the person might rob you, might kill you (Craigslist murderer), or the person might even be sick and malicious and decide to lie and say they were raped when it was actually legal and consensual sex. It's not just worrying about age that's the issue here. Have sex with strangers if you like, but don't complain when the risky behavior results in something bad (there are whacked people out there)-- and bad things happening comes with the territory.
100% this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies