Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:52 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,395,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Laws covering minors are very different than rules covering adults. I have a young male relative who got into some trouble a couple of weeks ago with a friend....friend was 18, my relative is 17 but will be 18 next month. The 18 year old was held legally liable, totally and completely. That's the way it is.

In any case, why should either of them have their life ruined? She admits lying and spoke on his behalf in court and before court, to the prosecutor, to get them to drop the charges....she went in with her mom saying "it's my fault, I lied, he shouldn't be charged" so I am baffled why so many are coming down so hard on her. Weren't you ever 14? She wasn't thinking this far ahead, she was a young girl who developed an online crush and lied about her age so he wouldn't stop talking to her. Is that really as rare as many here seem to think it is? Both these kids are typical kids caught up in a ridiculously overblown situation, IMO.
I agree, neither should be charged, but there's NO WAY the guy should be punished for being deceived, and her getting off scot free.

Btw, phone app should have proof that she lied of her age during messaging.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:54 PM

5,648 posts, read 5,069,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
You're bringing so much negativity to this thread it's not even funny.
And yet you keep coming back.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:40 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,340,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And yet you keep coming back.
Yes, I'll continue to come back to the thread I created.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:08 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,674,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Of course they need to be changed. The directive in society is absolutely clear. No more throwing people in jail for victimless crimes. This sh* has got to stop and stop now. What an ungodly waste of resources.

It really is. It boggles the mind as to how much taxpayer dough end up being blown over this sort of nonsense.

It doesn't accomplish anything, you're not taking a predator off the street, you're senselessly ruining a young kid's life, making it difficult for him to find living accommodations and work, as well as having to constantly explain the circumstances which resulted in him winding up on the sex offender registry in the first place. Its just pointless.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:23 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,274,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
So if any of you have a 14 year old daughter and she does something stupid like chatting with a boy on line and when 19 year old boy asks age she says 16 and he says lets meet for a milkshake. Like an immature child that she is after all 14 is a child he meets this 19 years old and he grabs her and rapes her. Maybe makes her pregant, gives her an STD, maybe calls her a **** and posts photos of half naked on-line, maybe daughter commits suicide or has depression from it or drops out of school.

Hey boys will be boys
Maybe a little Prozac would be helpful

Old 06-19-2015, 05:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,157,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This.

He did because he's over four years older than her. Had he been 17 or 18, perhaps not.

The whole lying about being 17 and 14 garbage is NOT on her. It's on him.
Is that why her and her parents asked for the charges to be dropped against the guy?

Talk about lacking any logic and common sense.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:37 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,767,810 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96
Does anyone thinking treating him this way is necessary to keep kids safe? Anderson and his family certainly don’t
No its the girls fault,WHY ISNT SHE HELD ACCOUNTABLE?? (Granted though he should have realised when he saw her)

Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
A life ruined over something people routinely did not that long ago with 100% social and legal approval. It's weird to think how "enlightened" we've become isn't it?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I agree, neither should be charged, but there's NO WAY the guy should be punished for being deceived, and her getting off scot free.

Btw, phone app should have proof that she lied of her age during messaging
OMG, she admitted it, she never ever denied it! Again...She went to court and said "it's not his fault, I lied, please drop the charges". I feel like I'm talking to walls.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:15 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,143,663 times
Does anyone think that Working_Hard is somehow related to the judge in this case?

The complete and utter lack of common sense he, SandyJet, and a couple of others in here are showing appalls me. I find it hard to believe that some people can be that so dense when it comes to objectivity. You'd think that someone of his age would have developed a little bit of wisdom over his lifespan, but something tells me he either didn't learn from his own mistakes or just isn't capable enough to see them as such.

It's people like this that make these "zero-tolerance" policies that create havoc all across our country. Every situation is the same to them, there are no shades of gray - only black and white.

It shames me that people from other countries come on here and read these posts - what do they think of the general American intellect?

I truly pity you and the others that agree with you, as you seem to have lost ability for rational thought, reasoning, and judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.