Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
All I know is that here in NYC, I wouldn't be able to buy a gun. I take solace in the fact that no wacko is able to buy a gun with his birthday money here. For it to be that easy to walk into a store and buy a gun, like if you were buying a toy or food, boggles my mind. That's why all those southern states will always be backwater country. Also, because of you southern hick states, we have gun problems here, because all the thugs go down south to Virginia and buy guns, bringing them back here to shoot people. If we outlaw guns everywhere, there would't be any legal or illegal guns. That is the ultimate form of gun control. I can't even imagine, with all the wack jobs here in NYC, eight million people walking around armed. You go into the subway and see two people accidentally shove each other, (which happens thousands of times a day), the two people take out their guns, and start shooting. All of a sudden, hundreds of people on the platform would be in harm's way, and they'll take out their guns and shoot back. Absolute mayhem.
Please... by all means, STAY IN NYC....
I'm in one of those 'southern hick states' you refer to...
Let me educate you SuperMario - between your battles with the ape....

If guns were outlawed ONLY OUTLAWS WOULD HAVE GUNS....

Drugs are illegal... does anybody have the ability to purchase drugs?

Go have some more of your Kool-Aid - and take your lemming friends with you.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's much too late. Gun culture and circulation is simply too deeply embedded in US culture. Embedded through the bone.

Since criminals here will always have access to guns, law-abiding citizens have to be able to fight fire with fire, if they encounter the wrong person.

Guns should have been banned long ago, but they weren't, so there's no going back now.
If your house was broken into tonight, buy someone performing a home invasion, the first thing you'll do is pray for someone with a gun to show up.... 'should have been banned long ago...." move to a country where they're not allowed if you don't like this one....

Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I'd like his father to be charged for not taking that gun and blowing the head off his thug SOB son.

You condone murder? You go it so don't complain any more.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I cant tell if youre being serious, or just Canadian.

In all honesty, any moron who thinks that gun control will help is sorely mistaken. The law-abiding citizens will suffer, while criminals (who dont obey laws) will reap the rewards. Obama is a joke. Worse than a joke, actually. He's like the turds from the crickets that chirp after a bad joke is told, signifying a horribly bad joke.
As another Canadian i think the idea that more guns will solve Americas gun problem is an absurd notion.
Obama did bring up another point to ponder, why is it no other civilized country in the world has to deal with such carnage on its own citizens on an almost daily basis.?
Bottom line nothing will be done as there are just too many guns in the USA and too many people willing to use them to solve their problems.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ook-post-says/

Last edited by jambo101; 06-19-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

What'll happen is within 5 years or so you'll have gun-carrying states and gun-prohibiting states.
In 5 years you will have 50 states that voted for gun carrying. The last thing that "gun control" people want is to give the people a choice. That is where the "control" part comes in.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As another Canadian i think the idea that more guns will solve Americas gun problem is an absurd notion.
Obama did bring up another point to ponder, why is it no other civilized country in the world has to deal with such carnage on an almost daily basis.?
Yet many of those civilized countries allow possession of firearms by its citizens. How does the non-firearm related violent crime rates compare?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet many of those civilized countries allow possession of firearms by its citizens. How does the non-firearm related violent crime rates compare?
Keep in mind that there are cultural, economic and even geographic influences on crime, so the only way to truly know is if you had two countries that were identical with the only change being gun laws.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:34 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What should really happen is the 2nd amendment should be amended. You can drop the "well-organized militia" language once and for all, since the supreme court ignores it anyway, and it can have an opt out for states. There is no precedent for this, but its also not prohibited. The Federal government should be prohibited from infringing any state-decided freedoms to carry guns. But each individual state can decide to limit or prohibit / limit guns to law enforcement etc. by, for example, a 75% majority vote.

What'll happen is within 5 years or so you'll have gun-carrying states and gun-prohibiting states. The debate will subside because if you don't like what you state is doing - move next door. And most people won't have to move anyway since the states' populations are largely already aligned along the same boundaries.

Then we can leave all this nonsense behind.

You think congress is going to draft a 28th amendment no American wants? You realize 75% of the states must ratify it to the law, correct? You are obviously ignorant to how due process works in this country.

Well organized militia can be dropped from the writing as "the people" and "shall not be infringed' are the real point of the amendment.

You have no real concept of the Bill of Rights if you suggest states prohibit/limit guns. Read 10A...

Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The 2A is enumerated, thus is set in stone. The states which have banned firearms can and should be challenged in federal court so SCOTUS will reverse those decisions as it is unconstitutional. DC did so and that ban was overturned.

If what you claim will happen....within 5 years there will have been standoffs by police and citizens unlike what has ever happened in the USA. Police may or may not subject themselves to being gunned down by citizens defending the Constitution as enumerated in the 2A and cops will become citizens once again.

At that point we are speaking of tyranny. Your ilk craves tyranny - tyranny leads to fascism and totalitarianism. 1984, if you will.
That is progressive wishing.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:41 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Obama did bring up another point to ponder, why is it no other civilized country in the world has to deal with such carnage on its own citizens on an almost daily basis.?
Bottom line nothing will be done as there are just too many guns in the USA and too many people willing to use them to solve their problems.
Do 100,000 people get shot every year in U.S.? Facebook post says yes | PolitiFact
But well over half the gun murders are gangland shootings in black ghetto areas. If you discount this tiny and very violent percentage of the population, the 8,000 or so murders a year are pretty much in line with Canada and Europe. In a diverse population of 320 million people, you're going to get some murders, no way to avoid it.

It's not the guns; it's the people. If you could magically take away the guns, there would probably be just as many killings because there are other means to the same end.

There were plenty of guns back in 1910, when my grandfather was growing up on the mean streets of New York City, but he told me you never saw a gun, and rarely saw a knife. If many boys were beating on one, other boys would intervene to break it up. Different world.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Keep in mind that there are cultural, economic and even geographic influences on crime, so the only way to truly know is if you had two countries that were identical with the only change being gun laws.
That was sort of what I was driving at, in that there are plenty of countries that have high firearm ownership rates, yet the fraction of firearm related violence. Rather than the endless obsession with gun control, the focus should shift on exactly what makes the US culture, or parts of it, so inclined to not only commit gun violence, but violence in general?

Mass killings, though tragic and headline making, are just a fraction of the overall violence, overall murders, and murders by firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies