Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Yes. My grandmother was killed in a gun accident before I was born. But, my great-grandmother (her mother) and my grandfather (her husband) hated guns from that day until the day they died.

All more guns will do is cause an increase in accidental death from guns, and make it easier for criminals and crazies to get their hands on guns.
And sometimes they are wonderful tools to protect people from violent attackers.

This happened two weeks ago today at the gas station I use each week.

Woman fights back, shoots robber in Crosby | News - Home

If she had not had that gun and used it, she may be yet another "missing woman" whose body is found in the woods three weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And sometimes they are wonderful tools to protect people from violent attackers.

This happened two weeks ago today at the gas station I use each week.

Woman fights back, shoots robber in Crosby | News - Home

If she had not had that gun and used it, she may be yet another "missing woman" whose body is found in the woods three weeks later.
We if we didn't have so much wealth inequality, fewer people would resort to robbing banks. In a well run country, there is no need for weapons. The population is highly educated and can occupy themselves in more civilized fashions.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:32 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I certainly think we need to increase funding for alcohol treatment etc.

That being said it's apples and oranges. If I drink one beer I will not die. If I shoot one person they very well could die. If I drop a beer, there is a very slim chance it will hurt anyone. If I drop a gun and it goes off...
Beer isn't the only type of alcohol that can get you drunk or dead. And danger becomes present when you are drunk.

Homicides can also still occur gun or no gun.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Do people pro guns feel there should be any place you don't carry a gun?
Yes, and I think you gave two good examples. The general public should not be allowed to take a gun onto a plane or in a courtroom.

There shouldn't be a law restraining guns from churches, but just like any other place, if the church doesn't want guns in, they should have the right to keep them out if they choose.

Here in Texas, any business can restrict guns from being brought in by either posting a sign (which must meet the 30.06 criteria) or by having the owner or a representative of the owner state that guns are not allowed on the property.

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 30.06 : Texas Statutes - Section 30.06: TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN

So, if you are a licensed CHL holder in Texas, you can take your weapon into the church unless they display the 30.06 sign or a church representative tell s you (not a general announcement) that you can't carry on the premises.

I was actually at a church function when they were doing this exercise and asked if anybody had a gun on them. It was a small group of about 40 people, and nobody was armed (at least nobody admitted it). If I had been armed, I'm not too sure if I would have raised my hand or not. It's not as though I'd be embarrassed or anything like that, I just prefer people not know if I am carrying.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
We if we didn't have so much wealth inequality, fewer people would resort to robbing banks. In a well run country, there is no need for weapons. The population is highly educated and can occupy themselves in more civilized fashions.
Do the unicorns bring you fresh lemonade in this world?

But seriously, do you believe rich people don't commit murder? If they do, you're hypothesis kind of goes out the window.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
Default Nothing Will Ever Change

Two days ago a guy walked into a church in Charleston and murdered nine people in cold blood. Social media instantly was flooded with prayers and outrage. People are once again asking how something like this could happen? After Columbine, Aurora, Newton and countless others, the sad truth is nothing has changed. Innocent people have been slaughtered in movie theaters, schools, and now churches which begs the question if there is anywhere we can be truly safe? Charleston will be front page news for a few days and then will slowly fade away, life will go on. Families of the victims will grieve their senseless loss, start foundations, write politicians, but still nothing will change. A few short months from now we will likely be sitting here reading a new story of some senseless tragedy very similar to the events from Wednesday.

At what point will we come together and say enough is enough? 26 people, 20 of which were innocent children gunned down in a school or 9 in a church clearly is not enough. I am not advocating we get rid of guns, that idea is completely unrealistic and impossible. Guns are ingrained in our culture and simply put a part of America. I myself am a gun owner and take that right seriously and have no desire to give it up. Rather I am advocating that we as a county come together and fix our mental health system. This will not prevent all these types of crimes by any means, but based on history it may help prevent some. If we all paid even $10-15 dollars extra per year in taxes we could fund a massive nation wide system. How do we do this? I have no idea! What i do know is that our nation has closed down pretty much every mental hospital and flooded our streets with many unstable and unpredictable people. These people are a VERY small portion of those with mental illnesses, but lets not fool ourselves and pretend there is nothing we can do.

Its all too easy to look at these tragedies and think that will never happen to me. However do you think the nine people sitting in church ever had the thought they would be gunned down while worshiping go through their mind? The answer is no. The sad truth is this could happen to any of us or our families any day, anywhere. Lets at least get the ball rolling to help prevent the next incident versus sitting here and arguing about Obama's post tragedy statement. Likely though, an idea like this will never gain traction. Democrats and Republics will fight each-other and nothing will be accomplished. Which leads us right back to where we began; nothing will ever change.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
If you are in love with gun culture, you bear resonsibility for these kinds of mass killings, period. There are mentally ill people everywhere. It makes it much easier to be a killer when you have easy access to guns. You want your guns, you want your little power fetish, you give the same right to other people who are deranged.

You can't have every person in the country go for a mental health evaluation every year because gun fetishists want them to. This kid possibly never hurt a fly and never made threats..same as Lanza. He was able to live out his sick fantasy because he had easy access to weapons. That's the bottom line. Yeah, maybe he could have learned to build a bomb..it's simply easier to kill people with guns and that's why most mass killers use them. We have a gun problem in the US, and it isn't going away any time soon.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:06 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
You anti-Constitutional kooks come out after every incident that involves a gun. We have a leftist problem, not a gun problem.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:08 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The response I got when I posted something similar was this: "So? Afraid much?"

This is the mindset we're dealing with. Tens of thousands of people die needlessly by gun violence in the U.S. and the response from the gun lovers is....."Yeah? So what?"
Especially when one considers that's over one and half times the American casualties of record during the Vietnam war....an actual war during which people were actually trying to kill each other......you lost that one too!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
There are some groups coming together, and they seem to be genuine in what they want to accomplish. They are groups with different races, and I really appreciate their perspectives regarding race relations and mental health issues. I will inbox them to you soon. We are observing the age in which this happens, and other characteristics-but overall something mentally has happened to young white and black males who choose to kill people in their early 20's. Mass killings vs. a single killing is all to much, regardless of the race and inhumane reasoning for committing murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies