Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 04:19 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

I don't doubt for one second that there are untruths in the report. I believe you can spin facts into whatever suits your purpose. And I don't believe we will ever find out the real truth, until the current administration is long gone. And now I am gone for the evening... got a dinner to go to....

9/11 Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 9/11 commission members were appointed by George W. Bush as well as Congress, which led to the criticism that it was not a truly independent commission. The commission stated in its report that "[their] aim has not been to assign individual blame," a judgment which some critics believed would obscure the facts of the matter in a nod to consensus politics. Some members of victims' families have claimed that the commission has numerous conflicts of interest. 9/11 CitizensWatch, in particular, called for the resignation of Philip D. Zelikow, the executive staff director. Zelikow is a Bush-appointee who served on the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board. He spent three years on the President George H. W. Bush's National Security Council. Zelikow worked closely with Bush NSC advisor Condoleezza Rice and even co-wrote a book with her. Some worry that Zelikow may be using his power to deflect blame from himself and to protect Rice. Both the Family Steering Committee and 9-11 Citizens Watch demanded his resignation, without success.
In addition, many members had ties which could be viewed as conflicts of interest.

Members of the 9/11 commission. Top row: Ben-Veniste, Lehman, Roemer, Thompson, Kerrey, Gorton. Bottom row: Fielding, Hamilton (Vice-Chairman), Kean (Chairman), Gorelick.
Jamie Gorelick, while serving in the Department of Justice under the Clinton administration, developed the policy that prevented communication between various government law enforcement and intelligence agencies, specifically the FBI and CIA. (the "wall memo").[4] She also is on the board of United Technologies. Gorelick's firm has agreed to represent Prince Mohammed al Faisal in the suit by the 9/11 families. The families contend that al Faisal has legal responsibility for the 9/11 attacks.
The commission's defenders claim that these do not represent significant conflicts of interest, and that the commission maintained its neutrality.
[edit]Claims of lack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
From the link: ""
Page 334 - Clarke's report found anecdotal evidence of an Iraqi link to Al Qaeda, but no compelling case that Iraq was involved in 9/11.

Responding to a presidential tasking, Clarke’s office sent a memo to Rice on September 18, titled “Survey of Intelligence Information on Any Iraq Involvement in the September 11 Attacks.” Rice’s chief staffer on Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, concurred in its conclusion that only some anecdotal evidence linked Iraq to al Qaeda.The memo found no “compelling case” that Iraq had either planned or perpetrated the attacks. It passed along a few foreign intelligence reports, including the Czech report alleging an April 2001 Prague meeting between Atta and an Iraqi intelligence officer (discussed in chapter 7) and a Polish report that personnel at the headquarters of Iraqi intelligence in Baghdad were told before September 11 to go on the streets to gauge crowd reaction to an unspecified event. Arguing that the case for links between Iraq and al Qaeda was weak, the memo pointed out that Bin Ladin resented the secularism of Saddam Hussein’s regime. Finally, the memo said, there was no confirmed reporting on Saddam cooperating with Bin Ladin on unconventional weapons.
Yeah I saw that, too, funny huh?
Ok, gotta run, see you all later

Old 01-25-2008, 04:29 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
You are somehow mixing up a connection between 9/11 and Iraq with a connection between Al Qaeda and Iraq.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You are somehow mixing up a connection between 9/11 and Iraq with a connection between Al Qaeda and Iraq.
I dont think there is a mix up, I believe they are hand in hand myself.
They are ALL enemies and are all linked. They are all enemies of the US and all work together to bring down the west.

Our biggest atrocities are those who cannot see the threat and want to pull out of Iraq just so they can say they were right. Leaving allot of people including us at risk in the future.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Iraq was linked to Al Qaeda....Al Qaeda was responsible for 9/11.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

""Clarke's report found anecdotal evidence of an Iraqi link to Al Qaeda, but no compelling case that Iraq was involved in 9/11.""

What does "anecdotal evidence" mean?

I left the rest of the sentence for others to read to help show that Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11 no matter what bushco implied.

If there was "no compelling case that Iraq was involved in 9/11" then any ties, real or implied, to Al Qaeda don't matter.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 PM

We are in a war against terror,not SOME terror.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Iraq was linked to Al Qaeda....Al Qaeda was responsible for 9/11.

And.....so ???

One could probably find Al Qaeda "connections" to other countries as well.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And.....so ???

One could probably find Al Qaeda "connections" to other countries as well.
So there WAS a connection.

Posters are trying to say there was not.

There was.

and I am sure other nations were connected to Al Qaeda too,not sure if those nations still are however.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
So there WAS a connection.

Posters are trying to say there was not.

There was.

and I am sure other nations were connected to Al Qaeda too,not sure if those nations still are however.

Still doesn't indicate a connection between 9/11 and Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies