Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 10:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Dylan Roof loved the Confederate flag.

Charleston shooter Dylann Roof
It is time to boycott South Carolina!

Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It's obvious some of you really hate Southerners and South Carolina. So, why do you think South Carolinians would listen to you when you have such hate for our state and our people?

I'm need to stop reading these threads as y'all really make my blood pressure rise. Meanwhile, here in Charleston, we're actually putting aside our differences to come together, mourn together, and not let that racist POS murderer win by dividing us.
It ain't worth letting it raise your blood pressure. Most likely you're not going to change any body's mind any more than anybody is going to change yours. People are going to speak and act the way they do and there's nothing you can do about that. The only thing you can control is your reaction to them.

Try meditating to the serenity prayer:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can.
And the wisdom to know the difference.

That always helps me when my nerves get on edge.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:32 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

That Romney does not understand our heritage
I think he understands it too well. A heritage of Hate and Racism.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 PM

343 posts, read 726,362 times
If the confederate flag is an affront to African-Americans, then isn't the American flag an affront to Native Americans and the things the Federal Government did to them?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:41 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
More than anything, the ANV flag represents a country that was an enemy of my country. That flag represents traitors.

Why should we recognize, honor, and celebrate traitors, whose goal was to kill as many citizens of the United States of America as they needed to?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:45 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That was the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.
The Stars and Bars was never the flag of the Confederate Stats of America or CSA. One of the reasons the CSA was a failed state was they could never agree on simple things like a unified currency, taxes to support the troops who were not national or Confederation troops but state militias. When poor ol' Marse Robert needed to equip his troops or feed them he had to get Virginia to pony up the ammo or food because Jeff Davis's "Government" was usually to too broke to do this. The CSA couldn't agree on a flag either although they came close with a simple and elegant design of a solid blue background with a single white star in the center. The Bonny Blue Flag with a Single Star

Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
More than anything, the ANV flag represents a country that was an enemy of my country. That flag represents traitors.

Why should we recognize, honor, and celebrate traitors, whose goal was to kill as many Americans as possible?

Your first sentence is correct, but you reference to traitors is ignorance on your part. If you have separate countries battling each other they are not traitors they are enemies. How many times does this have to be explained. The North could not bring treason charges against these states after the war because it was not treason.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:51 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The Stars and Bars was never the flag of the Confederate Stats of America or CSA. One of the reasons the CSA was a failed state was they could never agree on simple things like a unified currency, taxes to support the troops who were not national or Confederation troops but state militias. When poor ol' Marse Robert needed to equip his troops or feed them he had to get Virginia to pony up the ammo or food because Jeff Davis's "Government" was usually to too broke to do this. The CSA couldn't agree on a flag either although they came close with a simple and elegant design of a solid blue background with a single white star in the center. The Bonny Blue Flag with a Single Star

What has all of that to do with my statement about the battle flag of Northern Virginia? And that is the flag that is causing this uproar or twisted panties.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Your first sentence is correct, but you reference to traitors is ignorance on your part. If you have separate countries battling each other they are not traitors they are enemies. How many times does this have to be explained. The North could not bring treason charges against these states after the war because it was not treason.
Here is the definition of the word "traitor":

Quote:
A person who commits treason by betraying his or her country.
Most citizens of the CSA were once citizens of the USA. How is committing the act of secession not "betraying his or her country?"

Old 06-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
The North could not bring treason charges against these states after the war because it was not treason.
The "North?"

You mean our country, the United States of America?

They could have very easily brought treason charges against thousands of people. They chose not to, because they opted not to continue the hostilities and to bring the nation back together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies