Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you know he is very satirical- might have said wife as they argue so much - as far as her being religious-
Well, she sure claims to be. Often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
I remember this episode, it was quite refreshing to see a Conservative actually strike back with some substantive rebuttal. Although I may not not agree with Ann in her entirety, she does make quite a few points that are jarring if not painfully honest, and she does it unapologetically.

Normally Bill has a panel of Democrats and Liberals and one moderate Conservative wonk, and normally that moderate conservative is hammered and forced to defend hard right wing policies from a majority hard left guest panelist and often over ridden with crowd jeering from the Left and quick hollowed out satirical responses from Bill.

In this case though, Ann held her own and she did it very well. I wish she were a regular on the show.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Except back when those European immigrants arrived, the tax payers were not on the hook. There was no social security, Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, Obamacare, etc. When you came here, you either worked, or starved. I would imagine if none of these programs existed today, people would be much more accepting of "dirt poor" immigrants.

And I'm not saying that I disagree with all of these social safety nets. In fact, the opposite. If we want to preserve them, the smart move would be to accept immigrants that are likely to pay in more than they take out. Not the other way around.

Unless you are a ex-Nazi rocket scientist or physicist who can get us to the moon, we don't need you.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
" We used to choose the best in the world" - Ann Coulter

When exactly was this fantasy period in time?

Most European immigrants were dirt poor, lived in ethnic/ religious slums in urban areas, took any unskilled low paying job in factories or the service industry. The first order of business was getting busy creating anchor babies. They lived with other immigrant families in small apartments and did not particularity assimilate well.

Most European immigrants were Christians, yet there was huge prejudice by Protestants against Catholics. Politicians did a swell job of pitting ethnic and religious groups against eachother. The masses went along. Instead of focusing on what they had in common they looked for differences.
Agreed, this is one particular point that I disagreed with Ann on. I have no idea from where she pulled that idea from. However I disagree with the use of the term 'anchor baby' in those cases. The act of producing children was more so an act of actually multiplying the household income by producing another worker--not for qualifying for a larger percentage of government subsidies or entitlements

Whether it be on a farm, or in a city dwelling, children were often expected to be 'little adults' back then, and they were expected to grow up fast--hence why we have the child labor laws that we have today.

Last edited by itshim; 03-21-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I remember this episode, it was quite refreshing to see a Conservative actually strike back with some substantive rebuttal. Although I may not not agree with Ann in her entirety, she does make quite a few points that are jarring if not painfully honest, and she does it unapologetically.

Normally Bill has a panel of Democrats and Liberals and one moderate Conservative wonk, and normally that moderate conservative is hammered and forced to defend hard right wing policies from a majority hard left guest panelist and often over ridden with crowd jeering from the Left and quick hollowed out satirical responses from Bill.

In this case though, Ann held her own and she did it very well. I wish she were a regular on the show.

Actually, I've seen Maher tell the panel to quit hammering more conservative guests.

And it depends on the night how many conservative guests there are.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, I've seen Maher tell the panel to quit hammering more conservative guests.

And it depends on the night how many conservative guests there are.
I watch the show regularly, I've never seen that. Normally Bill joins in on the fracas. He has a habit of underscoring the points made by leftists by injecting satire with bulleted MSNBCish talking point references. He usually keeps them listed on a piece of paper in front of him, and often reads them verbatim.

Generally speaking, His panelists consist of One Democratic elected or formally elected official; one unelected liberal, one moderate conservative journalist, and one guest appearance by a Hollywood liberal with a book and/or show or movie to promote on the side of him.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:

Most European immigrants were dirt poor, lived in ethnic/ religious slums in urban areas, took any unskilled low paying job in factories or the service industry. The first order of business was getting busy creating anchor babies. They lived with other immigrant families in small apartments and did not particularity assimilate well.

Most European immigrants were Christians, yet there was huge prejudice by Protestants against Catholics. Politicians did a swell job of pitting ethnic and religious groups against eachother. The masses went along. Instead of focusing on what they had in common they looked for differences.
None of this means anything; illegal immigration is a crime!

Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Agreed, this is one particular point that I disagreed with Ann on. I have no idea from where she pulled that idea from. However I disagree with the use of the term 'anchor baby' in those cases. The act of producing children was more so an act of actually multiplying the household income by producing another worker--not for qualifying for a larger percentage of government subsidies or entitlements

Whether it be on a farm, or in a city dwelling, children were often expected to be 'little adults' back then, and they were expected to grow up fast--hence why we have the child labor laws that we have today.
Sometimes true, but they didn't have much in the way of birth control back then, and they often belonged to a church that didn't allow for its use.

My grandfather came from Italy on a ship that was 400' x 40'. He arrived with $14 in his pocket and went to work on the railroads in PA. Later he moved to Chicago, opened a very profitable business and gained the respect of everyone in the community.

My grandmother came on a big ocean liner with a lot of gold. They moved to Chicago and opened a business making even more money.

They married, had twelve kids and put the surviving among them through college during a time when most of the teens in Little Italy didn't even finish high school.

They lived the American dream after they entered the country legally, didn't ask for a thing, learned English, and got busy working their way up in the world.

When did the American dream go from coming here legally, expecting nothing, learning the language, making a decent wage, and supporting your family - to sneaking in, expecting others to learn your language, and give you money and food stamps to support your family?

And people wonder why Trump is picking up speed.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:

1917-1965

History of U.S. Immigration Laws | Federation for American Immigration Reform
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies