Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:46 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
San Francisco based Uber announced new policy banning firearms both by driver and passengers. How they expect to enforce this is another issue.
More symbolism from the Left Coast.
I use Uber often, and this policy matters not to me.
Reminds me of a recent policy by a coffee shop chain!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gKsPnsgJQLXDfg
Well, there's an open invitation. Will they also put little signs in the window that says, "Rob me, I'm defenseless?"

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-26-2015 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Not true. It is not grounds for anything. The business cannot know who is and who isn't carrying. If the business owner suspects the customer is armed, they can tell them to leave. However, it never happens does it?
Yes.

Kansas Concealed Carrier Asked to Leave Movie Theater for Carrying Gun

Quote:
If the business owner takes the path of calling the police, there is little chance the police will do anything as long as the person has a valid permit. They have enough to do without responding to such a busybody, and I have no responsibility to read some random sign.
And yet, you do.

Quote:
Furthermore, it would be bad for business if it became known that the store pulled such a stunt.
Not my problem or any of my business as to how they want to run their business.

Quote:
In Virginia, such signs are almost nonexistent. It was tried years ago but didn't last. Most attorneys will advise a store owner not to declare responsibility for a customer's safety with such signage.
How many exist is also no concern of mine. We are discussing where they do.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Not true. It is not grounds for anything. The business cannot know who is and who isn't carrying. If the business owner suspects the customer is armed, they can tell them to leave. However, it never happens does it?

If the business owner takes the path of calling the police, there is little chance the police will do anything as long as the person has a valid permit. They have enough to do without responding to such a busybody, and I have no responsibility to read some random sign.

Furthermore, it would be bad for business if it became known that the store pulled such a stunt.
In Virginia, such signs are almost nonexistent. It was tried years ago but didn't last. Most attorneys will advise a store owner not to declare responsibility for a customer's safety with such signage.
I don't know the laws in Va. I do know them in Tx. If there is proper signage, which there seldom is, you don't go in that establishment armed. Chances are you will be arrested. My own personal opinion is you don't do business with any business that posts no firearms. There are other businesses that want your business and that offer the same goods you want.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't know the laws in Va. I do know them in Tx. If there is proper signage, which there seldom is, you don't go in that establishment armed. Chances are you will be arrested. My own personal opinion is you don't do business with any business that posts no firearms. There are other businesses that want your business and that offer the same goods you want.
Funny in more conservative, even libertarian leaning Arizona a good number of businesses actually have the signs that tell you don't bring guns into this establishment.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:23 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes.

And yet, you do.

You are free to continue your life of defenseless passivity. Good luck to you.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:52 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Yes.

And yet, you do.

In most states no gun signs posted by private businesses carry no legal weight behind them. You're free to ignore them. If they ask you to leave you have to but that's a minor trespassing issue not a gun issue.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There. I don't understand why that is such a difficult concept for some.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
You are free to continue your life of defenseless passivity. Good luck to you.
I'm fine not demanding a business bake me a cake.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
In most states no gun signs posted by private businesses carry no legal weight behind them. You're free to ignore them. If they ask you to leave you have to but that's a minor trespassing issue not a gun issue.
I'm sure the list of states is likely to grow with the attitude many have exhibited here. You are only cutting your own throat.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
There. I don't understand why that is such a difficult concept for some.
Because people are dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies