Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 AM

524 posts, read 398,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yet they are still successful, and people have difficultly understanding why. The latter group possesses the mental and cultural hindrances that we are discussing.

Mental hindrance is applicable to all persons, regardless of SES, culture, race, sex, ethnicity, and sexual orientation. Cultural hindrance is equally as applicable. Your premise does not hold up due to its exclusive nature.

20,524 posts, read 15,823,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Thank you for reinforcing my point. So your belief is that blacka are quick to rally behind someone who is clearly wrong in their actions, but whites are more quick to detach themselves from someone of their own ethnic background who executes an heinous act.

This is actually very powerful and reinforces my point. Blacks are just as responsible for white privilege as whites are. Maybe even moreso. Because blacks do not judge themselves individually, or separate themselves individually. And you will notice that this pathology permeates among almost all ethnic groups in America. As you will find that Latinos defend latinos, blacks defend blacks, but whites never defend whites? Now, why is this? Perhaps minorities are not socialized to see themselves individually, and feel they must defend someone of their own ethnic background because they prescribe to collectivist mentality?

I think this is very deep characteristic of human reasoning. That is not commonly addressed or examined. That is what I hope to discuss in this thread. Are minority groups socialized to not think individually,and thus they are less likely to judge themselves individually? And conversely are whites socialized to think more individually?
That attitude WILL bite you in the butt. Period. I'm taking about Black or "Hispanic" people sticking up for even the losers of that "race/ethnicity". Us "Irish" used to have that same BS attitude and, we've pretty much moved on because it's just wrong.

41,478 posts, read 59,544,333 times
White individualism? Do you mean like the KKK? Or a criminal motorcycle gang? Or local politicians making certain that their white guys get the town supervisory jobs while the blacks get to do the work? Just look at the current, and past, US Navy. Most of the officers are white. Most of the deck apes are white and most of the snipes are black.

White individuality? Not likely. White solidarity to keep anyone else out of the party and away from "their" women is more like it.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,555,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Black males had the right to vote before any female.
Great point, but irrelevant.

24,834 posts, read 37,205,303 times
Quote:

You're just projecting your opinion of black people into this thread. This is not a rational position to take.
Just where did I project anything????

5,072 posts, read 2,276,516 times
Quote:
I'm just giving an example. I did not say this hindered me. Only that it happened. Clearly this has not held me back. I am a professional software engineer till this day, and no amount of white privilege will ever be able to stop that. I love my profession, and my passion for mathematical logic, computers, and technology is more powerful than any sort of white supremacy or white privilege.

But I am not whining. You're just projecting your opinion of black people into this thread. This is not a rational position to take.
You're a software engineer? And you're carrying on about white privilege? Are white people really dominant in that profession?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,555,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That attitude WILL bite you in the butt. Period. I'm taking about Black or "Hispanic" people sticking up for even the losers of that "race/ethnicity". Us "Irish" used to have that same BS attitude and, we've pretty much moved on because it's just wrong.
Sorry, what attitude do I have? I don't think I took any position concerning the above point. I

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,403,158 times
Quote:
This may get closed down, but hopefully I can attempt to define what white privilege is. Many minorities and non-whites tend to feel that white privilege is self evident. However whites disagree that they have any inherit advantages in contemporary American society. So who is right? Do whites who deny privilege being disingenuous, and denying their advantages? Or are minorities blaming their shortcomings on a myth that has no basis for reality?

White privilege is actually very easy to define. White privilege is the right to be viewed individually. This mean in American society, there are no canned stereotypes. If there is say a white murderer, this can be chalked up to individual choice. Whites are almost never judged by the action of 1 person in modern society. The only time where whites are grouped together is via historical classification, which actually hardly matters. However this is the only advantage that white privilege gives anyone. It is the the right to be judged on an individual basis.

This is why many whites can't seem to grasp the concept of white privilege. Many of them have no idea what is like to be a minority and be judged by the actions of your race. For example, I am a black man who I feel is moderately educated. Definitely my education and intellect surpasses what most people would think the average black male should have. But guess what? My intellect is NEVER assumed. It has to always first be PROVEN. It's not considered a given that I am a 35 year old black male and have a professional job, and have reasonable amount of intellect. So it is normally a surprise and a shock when I can speak intelligently, because it's not an expectation from black people, specifically black males. A latino male has to overcome the same barriers. An asian male may be considered smart, but not athletic. So that asian male has to overcome the stereotype of asians being physical weak.

Every other ethnic group in America, except white must overcome various stereotypes for the right to be judged individually. Whites do not. It not a shock that most whites are oblivious to this, as this is a function of the lower mind. The subconscious mind that form associations. It's not even a conscious association. But this is what white privilege is. Obviously what you DO with your individualism is of course up to the individual. Not all whites will take full advantage of this. But this is what white privilege is. And this is a powerful advantage.
You do realize that half of all white people are women, right?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:44 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,576,683 times
Quote:
I have my opinions about the media and it's eagerness to racialize everything. But that's for another thread. However, let's see if we can come to terms with our nature, and our reasoning. I do believe that stereotypes are a glitch in human logic. And that humans actually can never truly judge all human individually. But with limited conditions they can.
I can agree. But it's up to people who are being stereotyped to speak out against it. I know firsthand that not all are like this but the media has made me wonder if when we do get along if it's just a ruse. Should I be more suspicious because of what the media is putting out there.

The media is conveying a true hatred toward whites. Do all blacks really hate all whites?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:44 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,276,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
White individualism? Do you mean like the KKK? Or a criminal motorcycle gang? Or local politicians making certain that their white guys get the town supervisory jobs while the blacks get to do the work? Just look at the current, and past, US Navy. Most of the officers are white. Most of the deck apes are white and most of the snipes are black.

White individuality? Not likely. White solidarity to keep anyone else out of the party and away from "their" women is more like it.
Since you live in a town that's 96% white, I guess you would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies