Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:12 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- List some of these changes to have a discussion.
2- Why do you think US is an exception in this regard compared to the rest of the developed world?
This is going to have to be for another day and another thread as some of us have to work in the morning. I will be happy to have this discussion anytime however when I am online. So save that thought unless someone else wants to chime in.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:13 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh, so you also think it is because the pay for American workers has been so stagnant the past 50 years that has also forced both parents to have to work rather than one be able to stay home and raise the children...
See post 91

Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Noooo, that's not what I am telling you... Let me type very slowly. I am saying that the changes in our society over the last 50 years or so have created this. Stop concentrating on the single parent homes for a second. They are only a symptom, not the disease. The changes have been in our overall moral fiber as a nation.
I am waiting for the reply to this post below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
2- Why do you think US is an exception in this regard compared to the rest of the developed world?
Quote:
As strange as it may seem to you, my children were raised around guns all of their life. They are now in their 40's. Millions of other children were raised under similar conditions and none of which have gone off the rails. My grandchildren now have guns and are being raised very similarly to the way my children were raised. The problem is children are not being raised, they are being allowed to raise themselves.
Well yeah because of what you said and what urbanlife later posted as well. Those are both components to the problem. But remember, prior to the medical advancements of the mid 1900's it wasn't uncommon for children to have one parent also whether it was the mother dying during childbirth or one dying of old age at about age 40. How about that?

Quote:
Oh, so you also think it is because the pay for American workers has been so stagnant the past 50 years that has also forced both parents to have to work rather than one be able to stay home and raise the children...
I think a component of the problem we don't talk about is how the oil prices spiked about 40 years ago, doubling due to the US support of Israel during The Yum Kippor/Six Day War. OPEC only got more and more power since then. Oil prices have driven up a lot of things, even wages just to keep up with that and standard purchases. For this reason, US purchasing power has nose-dived and meant single income households are now dual income households.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
This is going to have to be for another day and another thread as some of us have to work in the morning. I will be happy to have this discussion anytime however when I am online. So save that thought unless someone else wants to chime in.
You're trying to waste the opportunity you have, since you brought it up here. Respond only when you can. For sake of convenience, here are the questions again:

Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
ethnic cleansing-lets face it as long blacks take the brunt of the shooting, we will always love guns, dont believe me, try studying american history, this country has a long a healthy history of ethnic cleansing.
This is what I thought as well. Then I thought about it a little harder yesterday. I realized something. Whenever white people get all frothed about black people and how many murders they commit, they are only talking about murder: homicide. And for every black person that is murdered by a gun, so is a white person. As I understand it, there were over 11,000 murders last year. So... half of them were black gang thugs murdering other black gang thugs and that is awful. On the white side, the other half of the murder picture, it is more varied as to who is pulling those triggers, but there were still almost 6,000 of them. But get this, in addition to the 11,508 gun homicides, there were more than 20,000 gun related deaths which could be anything from a suicide to an accidental discharge. The victims of these incidents are almost all white. Whoa. If the gun advocates on this forum are ok with all the loss of life of people who look like them, who they may even know personally, who they may even be related to... if the very real possibility of one day being a part of some tragedy that makes the evening news. Hey, if that is alright with y'all, and just the price that has to be paid to make sure that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon, who am I. Rocketh on!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Your original statement was that only law abiding citizens obeyed the law so laws in general were ineffective.

Gun laws certainly have an impact, removing all the restrictions we presently have would be a rather large mistake. The gun laws we have in place rarely leave anyone defenseless nor would background checks on the federal level.

Safe and easier? Criminals are importing guns from GA to NYC, should we loosen gun laws in NYC.

Should we loosen gun laws [that restrict their legal purchase] because criminals are acquiring them illegally?

We're doomed, folks.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Our 1968 gun control act is almost identical to germanys gun control of the Nazi era. Almkst word for word. See how that turned out. But we have a second amendment that is strong and gets infringed upon by states and feds so often. Laws are for law abiding citizens. When will people see criminals will circumvent the system as they are criminals.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Our 1968 gun control act is almost identical to germanys gun control of the Nazi era. Almkst word for word. See how that turned out. But we have a second amendment that is strong and gets infringed upon by states and feds so often. Laws are for law abiding citizens. When will people see criminals will circumvent the system as they are criminals.
Almost word for word? I would like it if you showed us this word for word comparison.....

Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Almost word for word? I would like it if you showed us this word for word comparison.....
Its well knkwn Senator Dodd brought copies of Germanys Nazi gun control act home from Europe and pretty much translated it into English for use to blueprint our 68 gun control act.
Start with the read here. There is allot of data on this. I grabbed first one off of google. But like I said, this has been knkwn for years.
1968 Gun Control Act | Give Me Liberty

Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
You can't get these anti-gunners to see that. They still think a fleeing Bank Robber stops for all Stop Signs, and obeys speed limits.

The ones we have do not even work. Take Registration, as one example. They all want it, but no one can come up with one single scenario of how it may save a Life. Not one...
I feel to adequately debate something I should keep my mind open to the side of the topic opposite mine.

People that live their lives without a shred of skepticism, believing the world is a safe place and that the police are there to protect their families and themselves just can't fathom how dark the world around them really is. The do get a "it can't happen to me, I lead a perfect life" type of attitude. The really think that if someone carries a firearm (legally) are afraid, and think it is pathetic to think like that. They are afraid of firearms because the only knowledge they have of them is what they have seen on Dateline or when a mass shooting happens. So when you have blinders on that tightly it is easy to jump on the "all firearms are bad" bandwagon. And that eliminating or restricting them will solve all the bad things that happen. That is where they stop thinking about it though. They don't think that the only things that happen when more and more restrictions get set is that it is hurting the legal firearms owner. They just don't understand that criminals don't care. They just like how they feel to support something they are told will make things better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies