Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Eh. Whatever. I don't get it.

If you're proud to be white, what are you celebrating? Your ... whiteness? Kinda dumb.

Proud to be German or Polish or Irish or any other ethnicity - I get that. But just proud to be white? No.

To each his own though.
ITA with the bold above and FWIW there are many months and holidays and festivals held annually for specific European cultures. I know I truly enjoy Oktoberfest in particular and the Germans do have a month as do the Armenians and other peoples considered "white." Also, women in general have a month. There are more white women than any other in the country.

It's not up to everyone else to tell you which month is your cultural month. Go to wikipedia and look them up. And FWIW, "black history month" and the "black" in particular is only used because the majority of black people in America do not know their ethnic African origins/tribes like Europeans do. For those of yoou who don't do a simple genealogical search on familysearch.org which is free and find out where your ancestors come from and then celebrate your culture. I don't see why this topic is brought up so much around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
because white advocacy throughout history means black people hanging from trees?

get it?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Why is this concept ignored or demonized?
When you are in a position of absolute power and majority than every day, every event is "White advocacy". My local city park had a david mathews coverband event. If that wasn't celebration of white culture. . wtf is

Old 06-22-2015, 09:28 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
White advocacy is discouraged due to racism combined with political correctness.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Well..because..oh never mind. I could go into a lot of immigration history, but the OP wouldn't be interested. I could also point out the fact the white people haven't suffered the type and degree of discrimination, some state sponsored and legislated, that people of color have.

...but the OP wouldn't be interested.

All the OP is inyerested in is pointing out the lame assumption that white people are victims.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Good info here.
I wonder when whites are a minority you'll still claim this, depending how old you are it will happen in your life time. Over four million blacks have college degrees, Oprah is the richest women and most respected voice in America, Obama is the president, and blacks have nothing but themselves holding them back. It's a wide open field, have at it.

It's been going the other way lately.
Sorry but no, one horrible tragedy this year does not statistically raise black deaths over whites killed by blacks, not by a long shot. It's almost double.

There were two mass shootings the same week of the SC shooting in Detroit. The predator was black. It went unnoticed. That's a problem. Black people were also some of the victims, but since the shooter was black it was silent. Why? To use to it?

Those lives taken by one white man are getting national sympathy. How do you think the black victims families feel who lost their family members to a black shooter? They're in pain as well, death is death regardless of press coverage. The president didn't come out, tons of people didn't leave flowers, nothing. A blip in the news.

But the wealthy power structure wants us little people to be at each others' throats.
The only answer I have for this is refuse to be.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's ignored because, relatively speaking, there isn't much to advocate for in terms of whiteness.

White people already are and always have been statistically at the top of the food chain. They have more wealth, have better jobs, have better quality of life. They tend to control the corporations, the banks, the political process. And that's been that way pretty much since Day One.

White people do not have a heritage of being enslaved and treated like cattle for hundreds of years, then segregated as second-class citizens for more than half of the 20th century. Black people do.

Not saying that white people need to feel bad about being better off, just that there is a reason why black advocacy has been historically more necessary than white advocacy. You tend to have advocacy on behalf of those who are disenfranchised and in need of help.

Black people have actually had to advocate for the rights they have today; white people have just had those rights without having to go through the same.
Umm, you should read up on a thing called "History." Every group of people was enslaved at some point. The Africans were just some of the most recent. Notice I said "some" because in parts of Asia slavery is still being employed. Gasp shocking I know but thats called facts>emotions

Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Because white people have historically been racist?
You do realize dont you that HISTORICALLY speaking, everyone was racist....right? Its only a recent thing that racism was acknowledged to be bad, and thats only the case for some parts of the world. In some parts youll still be openly hated for being black. And by openly I mean far worse than it is in the U.S.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM

17,410 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
When you are in a position of absolute power and majority than every day, every event is "White advocacy". My local city park had a david mathews coverband event. If that wasn't celebration of white culture. . wtf is
It's not white culture.

It's American culture.

Or People-Who-Like-Horrible-Music culture.

There's no black culture. There's no white culture. There's American culture.

Just for the heck of it, why don't you google images of Dave Matthews Band. Or at least Carter Beauford. Let me know how that goes for ya.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
You would think a group who has the Republican Party in their back pocket wouldn't need much in the line of advocacy. Is it a coincidence that conservatives have convinced poor whites that poor blacks are the problem and liberals have convinced poor blacks that rich whites are the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies