Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That might explain your passion for this thread, seven or so posts while pretty much repeating the content.
Since Charleston is my home and I'm so very sick of seeing either falsehoods or mistakes reported about my home, I tend to find myself repeating myself again and again to correct those falsehoods. Call me crazy but I find it overly irritating to see such poor reporting about the place where I live. Thanks crappy national media.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
no argument from me on that one.

i just find it funny how white conservative males are tripping over themselves to justify keeping the flag up.
Well, Im still waiting to hear you liberals justify why Bill Clinton wanted that same flag over the state house in Arkansas.

And let's be real here. It is a flag. People running around now acting like they need to take action, any action, so lets go after a flag. That flag didn't kill anyone. The racist nut job did. But let's turn attention to a flag that a DEMOCRAT put up in the first place!

I just find it all so silly. Politicians being politicians, acting like theyre doing something for "change". Media doing what it does, blaming and stirring the pot. All this attention on a damn flag after someone murdered 9 people.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Excellent move

That flag is a symbol of supreme ignorance, a shameful symbol of a repulsive culture that needs to be shunned, rejected, and forgotten, not honored as some sort of ridiculous part of history. The flag should be taken down and burned, and all such flags should be destroyed. Anyone caught with one or anyone who supports this symbol of barbaric domestic terrorism, should be arrested.

There is no place in this society for that repulsive flag or the culture which supports it.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Joe Biden doesn't represent the entire United States? Well which part does he represent? Because his official title is Vice President of the United States. As in, THE UNITED STATES. You know, the country in which you and I live.
Look, Joe Biden doesn't agree with Barack Obama on every single issue. At best, he pretends to go along with whatever Obama wants, because he basically has no choice.

Biden says he was given 'every s*** job' by Obama but the White House 'iced him out' after one of the Vice President's gaffes | Daily Mail Online

If Obama and Biden don't agree with each other on every issue, then only one or the other represents the administration(and therefore the United States?). Do you think Obama has even agreed with everything Joe Biden has ever said as Vice President? Let alone what he actually thinks as a person?

What I'm saying is, I would say the "President" much more represents a country than the Vice President. Thus, what a president says must take precedence over what a vice president says. Jefferson Davis was the president, not Alexander Stephens.

For a point-of-reference. John Adam's vice president, was Thomas Jefferson. They were opposed to each other's opinions about as much as any two people can be opposed to each other's opinions. In fact, while Vice President, Thomas Jefferson issued the "Kentucky Resolution", which basically declared that the states didn't have to listen to the Federal government, or their president, John Adams.

So as I said, just because some Vice President, who has almost no power, who is usually chosen for political reasons to pick up votes, says something, doesn't mean it represents the entire country.

I mean, John McCain and Sarah Palin are nothing alike. Had he won in 2008, why would anything that driveled out of Palin's mouth, have been representative of either McCain, or his administration, or the country?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually, I don't care one way or the other. The flag has no impact on me. It's a flag on a monument and it's a non-issue in my life.
LOL it a non-issue to you? You have miles and miles of post on this "non-issue"!

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
LOL. I take it: Not US Constitutionalist.

You`ll have to point out the part of the US Constitution that regulates thought because I`ve never seen it.

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
First, every single politician does things out of political expediency. Second, I live in Charleston and know our history well. Very well acquainted with Riley or as he's known here, tongue in cheek, King Riley. He's riled several people here on many things but it was his work after Hugo and maintaining historic preservation has kept him in office for all of these years.

Fritz Hollings was a segregationist through and through. He was right up there with the rest of them. Yet, I constantly hear again and again it's the Republicans who 'own' the Dixiecrats. No, it wasn't and doesn't now. Why won't Democrats acknowledge that basic historical fact? I don't know. But I am so done with this false narrative trying to say the Republicans own the racist Southern Democrats of old.

<break>
Last night over 20,000 Charlestonians lined our bridge hand in hand from Downtown on the peninsula to Mt Pleasant across the river in a show of unity. Yet, the national media didn't cover it at all. What did they cover? This stupid flag issue. As I've said before on other threads, the national media isn't in the business of reporting the news, they are in the business of shaping and creating news.
Good post. Is it not a shame that its not just the politicians that dont speak the truth in detail, the media whom have the job of research and such are even worse. Im telling ya, unless there is a drastic shift in journalism and our society in this country, we are flat out screwed. This country has no hope unless things change.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:43 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The base? The base is a bunch of racists. The pressure needs to come from an economic boycott of South Carolina. Hit 'em where it hurts - in the pocketbook and they will come around.
NAACP already tried this. Blacks ignored the boycott by continuing to attend events in SC in record numbers such as the Atlantic Beach (Myrtle Beach) Biker weekend over Memorial weekend. They finally gave it up.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:43 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Here is something the media won't tell you. A Democrat is responsible for the flag flying in SC. Ernest Hollings. Something else they wont tell you, Bill Clinton signed a proclamation authorizing the Confederate flag to fly over the statehouse in Arkansas. It was also a Republican who first tried to get that flag removed from SC.

But hey, let's just listen to the media NOT tell the truth and act like this is a GOP problem. I hate the media with all my heart. Lying, biased, dirtbags.
why dont you get on board and agree to remove the flag

Old 06-22-2015, 02:44 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's what Dylann Roof said too, in his manifesto.

14, banjomike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies