Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 05:12 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Use your words. Why am I a racist and a bigot for pointing out the history and meaning of the flag? Why should I be ashamed of myself for recoiling at the flag and those who fly it when I remember the flag being displayed as a cross was burned on my lawn as a child?

By the way, I'm 27 years old. This isn't ancient history.
To begin with, because you have chosen to selectively attribute only the most negative, racial motives associated with the history and meaning of this flag to those people who display it or identify with it. You pretty much have to be obsessed with racism to assess this with such a narrow racist view. Somehow you have become willfully ignorant of the fact that this was the flag for an entire country, short lived though it was. And of course there is a more modern sense of regional identity as well that many people in the South express by their presentation of this flag. There were also a substantial number of other meanings. So your overly narrow, insulting, harshly condemning racist view is incomplete and therefore not accurate, to say the least

Everything seen through the prism of race. Relentless name calling, hatefulness, personal attacks and invocations of racial epithets. If these aren't the hallmarks of a racist, then I don't know what is.

And the South continues to have a sense of regional identity to this day. You clearly have a negative, insulting opinion towards people who you identify as associating with that regional identity, or who identify themselves by that regional identity. This is classic bigotry, although the politically correct left considers it acceptable to be bigoted towards people that it does not approve of. But regardless of what the leftist echo chamber hypocritically thinks or says about this, people who have this attitude, including apparently you, are bigots nevertheless.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 06-23-2015 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 05:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
the only people who support the flag are conservative white males, and we all know why.

Yes there's racists that like to wave the Confederate flag, but having lived in the South, its often seen as a symbol of independence and rebellion, a symbol recognizing the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of soldiers.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
I live next door to a racist white couple with a foul mouth. From inside their house tell yell racial slur at me and anyone who visit me. They don't work they live off welfare use drugs but constantly call us ****, ******s, and crackheads. Mind you we work ,don't use drugs.

I have complained to cops and all they can tell me is to be the nicer one. Four years being harassed, cursed at and threaten by this old, miserable, broke ass white couple. I have installed a fence in the yard, put up a wall in front porch separating property so I won't have to see the miserable faces, installed cameras all around my house, hired an attorney to send them a letter stating that if they continue harassing me I will take them to court still cops can't do nothing. Recently, they have taken to using 911 to make bogus call reporting fighting at my house I wonder what must happen before they take this seriously. Funny thing is that she makes her 300 pound ass husband to curse me out like it's my fault that they have nothing. Go to work like the rest of us and stop waiting for those food stamps. If someone can help me with this problem please respond. I can't believe these racist ass people still exist.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:21 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Dang. Without flags on their homes, cars, and T-shirts how are we going to recognize an ignorant redneck when we see one?
By looking in the mirror.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How is this great flag purge connected to Roof ?

He had a confederate type license plate but many people have that.
He had a Golds Gym t-shirt on also. Who Knew Golds Gym was so racist.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And it was northern states voluntarily abolishing it. Southern states were holding on to it. In fact, if you read the Articles of Secession, and the Confederate Constitution, there is mention of keeping slavery. The South started it, and the reason is because it wanted to break away from the USA. The Union fought to keep the nation together. But the South desired so much to keep slavery around, it wanted to secede. When the Union said no, the South attacked. The South wasn't going to let go of something without a fight. Slavery wasn't the only issue, but it was mentioned several times, and in the Confederate Constitution, keeping slaves was considered to be a protected right. I do not believe the South was going to let it go on its own.

I'm the type of person who believes that it doesn't matter that they would have "eventually" let slavery go. I view it in these terms. Freedom right here and now, and at ALL costs. People who want freedom bad enough will go through death to get it.

And speaking of war, there were slave rebellions that took place. Among them,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811_G...Coast_Uprising
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...v._The_Amistad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_case
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1842_S...herokee_Nation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Tu...lave_rebellion
Slavery was wrong, everyone admits it was, but the fact we had slavery, doesnt mean the flag indicates what people pretend it does.

The Civil War could very well have been fought over taxation, or abortion, and the flag still would have been used.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:29 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
I've said that the Confederate flag belongs in museums. It doesn't belong on the capitol building of a U.S. state. It doesn't represent the USA. It represents a traitor nation.

The use of the Confederate flag in White supremacy has taken place for a long time. It goes beyond Dylann Roof. University of Mississippi went through an integration process. People who were against it flew Confederate flags.

I've heard the argument of "southern heritage". If this is about Southern heritage, then what is southern heritage? There are other symbols of the South. The magnolia tree grows all over the South. There is a movie about Southern women called Steel Magnolias(btw, one of the actresses in that film played Forrest Gump's mother in Forrest Gump. Ironically, she's from California). There are other symbols out there. Why pick one that represents secession from the USA, a secession where a major driving factor was the desire to keep and maintain slavery?

There is another argument to put forward. This part is often never discussed. 6 out of 10 Black Americans lives in the South. A majority of Blacks were born in the southern USA. How many Blacks Southerners actually refer to the Confederate flag as "southern heritage"? I have never heard a Black American refer to the Confederate flag as part of their heritage. Not one. One has to consider why that is.
I'm fine with the flag being removed, but just for clarity, it's not on the Capitol Building. It's on a Confederate Memorial that is on the Capitol grounds.

Also, I'm not sure a movie can be a symbol of anywhere.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
This is more than just the flag. It is not about the design of the flag. It is about the reason the Confederacy wanted to secede. Slavery was a major part of it. For that reason, flying a Confederate flag is going to anger some people. Lying to people or trying to downplay the issue isn't going to help.
If you dont want to lie to people, then stop pretending the Civil war was about slavery, it was about state rights to leave the union PERIOD.. it would very well have been ANY ISSUE..

Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The swastika didn't build the gas chambers either. Does it matter?
Kind of a stupid statement considering the Confederate flag represented state rights, which is far more than just slavery.. It is only a valid comparison if you believe the nonsense that the flag is racist..

Old 06-23-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Very true. We have to also acknowledge that most/all White Supremacy groups have commandeered that flag as their symbol of hatred towards minorities. If it was just about history/southern heritage the flag would have taken its rightful place in museums long ago and not be flown on public property so many years after the Civil War ended.
Using that argument, we should dismantle all statues dedicated to MLK..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies