Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:55 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Symbolism, My ----. I frankly tired of Liberals making everything about race. When this is a clear case of terrorism.
Terrorism in the cause of what?

The little weasel specifically targeted black folks and told them that was why he was killing them.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Jeez, no I didn't;

What stopped the Democrats from taking it down over the 100+ years after the civil war when they were in charge?

Conservatives.

In case you weren't aware, during the civil rights movement in the early sixties, conservatives moved en masse into the Republican Party in protest and that's when the rebel flag went up all over the south.
Prove your last statement. Show me the Democrats who moved "en masse" to the Republican party. I know two - Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms. Other than that, they largely stayed in the Democrat party.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:58 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Jeez, no I didn't

In case you weren't aware, during the civil rights movement in the early sixties, conservatives moved en masse into the Republican Party in protest and that's when the rebel flag went up all over the south.
Yes you did, you just repeated yourself so I didn't even have to quote where you said Republicans.

And, as had been explained to already, what you claim is false. Go read books instead of regurgitating leftist talking points.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Terrorism in the cause of what?

The little weasel specifically targeted black folks and told them that was why he was killing them.
It was their praying that really got to him.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- The word partisan has a meaning. Learn it and test yourself. Someone who dwells on making arguments entirely on partisan lines is a demonstrated partisan.
2- you circumvented the question: people's right, or state's? To make it more clear, do you expect any of your rights to be infringed upon by the state so that state's supremacy applies on you?
3- then you should support the removalof confederate flag that went up in opposition.
1. That must make you a partisan. I am non-partisan. I hate both major parties equally.

2. It is you who is asking a nonsensical question. You are trying to claim that state's don't have powers separate than the federal government, is that so? If not, then you had better clarify. The purpose of government is to secure unalienable rights. See the Declaration of Independence. The federal government has certain powers which to do that, and all other powers are reserved for the state's and the people respectively. See the 10th Amendment. The states are people. See Citizens United.

3. Cite the part of the 14th Amendment that would lead you to come to that conclusion.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:12 AM

716 posts, read 393,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Yes you did, you just repeated yourself so I didn't even have to quote where you said Republicans.

And, as had been explained to already, what you claim is false. Go read books instead of regurgitating leftist talking points.
Do you have a comprehension problem?!?

What stopped the Democrats from taking it down over the 100+ years after the civil war when they were in charge?

Conservatives.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
1. That must make you a partisan. I am non-partisan. I hate both major parties equally.

2. It is you who is asking a nonsensical question. You are trying to claim that state's don't have powers separate than the federal government, is that so? If not, then you had better clarify. The purpose of government is to secure unalienable rights. See the Declaration of Independence. The federal government has certain powers which to do that, and all other powers are reserved for the state's and the people respectively. See the 10th Amendment. The states are people. See Citizens United.

3. Cite the part of the 14th Amendment that would lead you to come to that conclusion.
1- Didn't I tell you that I am partisan? There is no way I can support the republican party in its current form. I was question YOUR claim of being a non-partisan, a laughable claim. Your hatred for "both" seems selective with your repeated attempts to coat democratic party being the one that is opposed to diversity and against civili rights.
2- the question was simple, answer is impossible for you because you don't want to accept state's supremacy for self, only when it applies to others. That is typical of consercatives: "as long as I am ok, I wouldn't mind forcing others to take away freedoms of others".
3- the flag went up in opposition to civil rights. You claim (which I know is a lie) that you support civil rights while also being against the flag coming down.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:13 AM

133 posts, read 175,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The Confederate flag had nothing to do with the actions of a drug-addled, mentally ill moron.
I beg to differ. The beliefs he associated himself with White Supremacy, he felt where emboldened within the flag. Some say the flag stands for hate. Some say it stands for heritage. He was filled with hate and felt people of color were beneath him and needed to be 'exterminated'. As someone from the South you should know this part of history, no?

Old 06-29-2015, 11:16 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Actually, no they didn't. The Democrats continued to control the statehouses and the congressional delegations of Southern states straight into the 1990s. Look it up and see for yourself.

Also, Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by larger percentages than the Democrats did. Here is the vote breakdown, for your information:
Civil Rights Act of 1964:

The original House version:

Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)

Cloture in the Senate:

Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)

The Senate version:

Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)

The Senate version, voted on by the House:

Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)

You are reciting talking points that are not based on the historical facts or the truth.
When broken down by region, far more northern Democrats supported it than southern Democrats. 90% of the house from Northern states supported it, while only 5% from southern states did. The only southerners that did vote for the Civil Rights Act were Democrats. No southern Republican voted for it. Region played a bigger part than political party.

Were Republicans really the party of civil rights in the 1960s? | Harry J Enten | Comment is free | The Guardian

Old 07-02-2015, 11:51 PM

998 posts, read 665,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
I never realized that when I watched The Dukes of Hazzard on TV as a little kid that I was watching a white supremacist propoganda piece. Will they now have to go back and digitally remove the confederate battle flag from the General Lee in all reruns?
When I posted this last week, I was being facetious. Even I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams that the SJW bizarro world that we live in would reach such depths of absurdity. Reality stranger than fiction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies