Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Oh plenty of people know what is meant by a "conversation" as many of the posts in this thread have pointed out, and we are aware that there is no back and forth exchange of ideas intended, with or without beer.
It is a bit of a paradox.

Even if the dialogue becomes a one way street, it might help some people see their own failings toward their fellow humans.

I do not believe morality can be legislated, but it took laws to reduce blatant, national discrimination.

while discussion will not change attitudes of the unwilling, it can lead to legislation to remove the appearance of national approval.

But, racism will only end on the individual level, when every individual finds reason, not to follow their own prejudices. Discusion can assist us in understanding our own prejudices and learn how they harm others. Which may be sufficient reason for some of us to stop acting upon our prejudices.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

But, racism will only end on the individual level, when every individual finds reason, not to follow their own prejudices. Discusion can assist us in understanding our own prejudices and learn how they harm others. Which may be sufficient reason for some of us to stop acting upon our prejudices.

Yes Indeed.

The event in Charleston was caused by one deranged racist individual. Lots of focus on that.

What is missed, not talked about, and not even acknowledged by many of those making the point about racism are the 1000s of people of all races who walked together in Charleston, peacefully in support of the victims and that church. There has been a huge outpouring from the White community who, IMO are almost all horrified of what happened.

Then there was the White lady who put herself in danger to help capture the shooter. And many others of all races who assisted with that.

The point being if we are going to have a "conversation", it should start with acknowledgment of what is "right" and that progress that has been made. And then from that, state what needs to change on both sides to improve things further. Until that happens, and stop only looking at the bad, I don't see much change coming.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:33 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,204 times
Well, not having the discussion certainly won't fix anything, so you have to start somewhere. Action plans generally arise from a discussion of the issues.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes Indeed.

The event in Charleston was caused by one deranged racist individual. Lots of focus on that.

What is missed, not talked about, and not even acknowledged by many of those making the point about racism are the 1000s of people of all races who walked together in Charleston, peacefully in support of the victims and that church. There has been a huge outpouring from the White community who, IMO are almost all horrified of what happened.

Then there was the White lady who put herself in danger to help capture the shooter. And many others of all races who assisted with that.

The point being if we are going to have a "conversation", it should start with acknowledgment of what is "right" and that progress that has been made. And then from that, state what needs to change on both sides to improve things further. Until that happens, and stop only looking at the bad, I don't see much change coming.
I agree any discusions pointing only to the bad is not productive. There does need to be affirmation progress has been made.

At my age I have seen continuous progress, the Racist cartoons dehumanizing Blacks, Arabs, Jews and Orientals that where common during my childhood in the 1940s are no longer the norm.We have come a very long ways since the 1940s. But still there is a tendency to dehumanize and stereotype any group that is perceived as a threat to what we consider "American"

Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
His manifesto is posted. You can read for yourself.
He didn't mention anything about the Confederate flag flying at the capital grounds.

This remove the flag movement is based on pictures of him holding the flag.
He also ranted on Jews and Hispanics. Seems he was a true racist.
I read it, I think I was the first one to post a link to it on CD. Yes, he was a true racist, so why do you want to breath life into that by waving a big bad a$$ confederate battle flag on state property? Can't you simply acknowledge that the display of that flag could imply to a person that the state implicitly condones racism?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I read it, I think I was the first one to post a link to it on CD. Yes, he was a true racist, so why do you want to breath life into that by waving a big bad a$$ confederate battle flag on state property? Can't you simply acknowledge that the display of that flag could imply to a person that the state implicitly condones racism?
No I can't acknowledge that.

Remove statues, rename Lakes..what's that all about ?

The Confederate flag was not crafted with racism in mind. That is what society has turned it into.
A brown paper bag is deemed offensive today.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:43 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Naw.
I wasn't racist until I lived amongst a particular group of people for three years.
I left disappointed and disgusted. The stereotypes I thought were a bunch of pucky played out over and over and over and over. It hurt to see this.
Same here, except I think it's being more being a realist and seeking self preservation than being a racist.

My mother moved us to a poor black neighborhood when I was a teenager. I grew up in predominately white area. I was sheltered though from racial stereotypes because it just was never discussed around me. While there I was constantly being attacked and bullied by blacks and, because they were football players for the high school, the high school looked the other way. They even tried to gang rape me, but I got away from them before they got ahold of me. I learned the hard way the way what they and their culture are really like.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Same here, except I think it's being more being a realist and seeking self preservation than being a racist.

My mother moved us to a poor black neighborhood when I was a teenager. I grew up in predominately white area. I was sheltered though from racial stereotypes because it just was never discussed around me. While there I was constantly being attacked and bullied by blacks and, because they were football players for the high school, the high school looked the other way. They even tried to gang rape me, but I got away from them before they got ahold of me. I learned the hard way the way what they and their culture are really like.
You learned underclass culture is like. You got put around some of the very worst of the Black population. Look, I'm sorry you went through that. No one should go through that. That noted, this is something you need to consider. That poor Black area you lived in, this is what I know. Alot of Blacks who are decent people want to live in other places, so when they get a chance, they leave and never come back. What's left? The underclass.

I am a Black American male, late 20s. I spent middle school and high school in a predominantly White area on the fringes of metro Atlanta. I got bullied and harrassed by many White kids. Someone even shot me with a paintball gun. I don't blame that an ALL White people. And it was mainly Whites bullying me for a while. There were some cases where nothing got done about it. What did I learn? Looking back, was living around alot of redneck culture, alot of trash. To this day you can find yards with Confederate flags flying. I look at those persons who did things to be, as that being indicative of redneck culture, not the entire White population.

I went through alot of bad stuff and I can still judge people as individuals.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:36 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Anytime there is a conversation on race, it turns into a fight. The only way there seems to be any kind of peace if everyone's mouth is shut. There is alot of anger and resentment on many sides, and this has been festering for years. This is nothing recent. This has been going on long before the 60s, this goes back to the Civil War and before. There has been very little where ALL parties are satisfied with the results.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
You're assuming I've always lived in Idaho. That would be a false assumption.

Besides, I live in a military town. I see black people all the time. Quite a few of them live in my apartment complex.
Well, Boise, Idaho, is a whopping 1.5% black. I don't think anybody will confuse it for Nairobi. So where else have you lived? Detroit? Jackson, Mississippi? And did you regularly see black people being mistreated by whites in those places? How you personally seen this race war that people like you assure us is going on?

Last edited by fat lou; 06-24-2015 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies