Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,336,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Naacp in Lee county, FL has, for several years been after the portrait of Lee in the courthouse, and the statue outside of it.

Today they renewed their calls for taking down the statue.......How long until we have to spend half a billion to rename the county?

Somewhere, we have all slipped into bizzarro world.

CN.......
They won't have to rename the county, they can do what Washington did. King County WA was named after vice president William R. King, they decided that wasn't appropriate and just decided that it was really named after Martin Luther King and changed the county logo. They'll just decide it's really named after Spike Lee or somethingm take down 1 portrait and spend a few million patting themselves on the back.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,577,976 times
Well? Why is it that White Supremacists choose this flag to represent them? The KKK? Explain.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,349,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I've always had mixed feelings on the flag. If it's a southern person I looked at it as southern pride, northerners as a symbol of hate.

True story years ago I saw a hate group with the flag and told my parents they must be Dukes of Hazzard fans without knowing the past.
As someone that grew up in New York State, I don't know of any northerner that saw it as a "symbol of hate" in the 60s/70s/80s/early 90s. Everyone I knew saw it as a symbol of independence or rebelliousness. The whole "symbol of hate", "symbol of racism" thing is a new development, especially over the last 5 years or so. All part of the hatred some liberals have for their fellow countrymen.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,920,438 times
Default Five myths about Slavery

I didn't know there were so many confederate sympathizers around in the United States in this day and age. Many conversations I've had with southerners about the Civil War often end the same. They refuse to acknowledge that slavery had anything to do with the Civil War. They will cite, "State's Rights", but it was State's Rights over the right to have slavery, no?

I found this article to be very informing, even for people who are already accepting of what actually transpired during the Civil War.

Five myths about why the South seceded - The Washington Post

I'm not sure what constitutes people to buy into this thinking that Slavery played no part in the Civil War, anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,774,423 times
To me, General Lee is Rooster Cogburn's cat in True Grit. I have never attached any significance to the confederate flag.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:16 PM

14,910 posts, read 8,518,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well? Why is it that White Supremacists choose this flag to represent them? The KKK? Explain.
And what if the KKK chooses to drive chevys to and from their meetings? Do we ban Chevrolets next?

What we are s a nation of children who refuse to get along with one another, and cry like infants about some really stupid crap.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And what if the KKK chooses to drive chevys to and from their meetings? Do we ban Chevrolets next?

What we are s a nation of children who refuse to get along with one another, and cry like infants about some really stupid crap.
No, we're a nation of "snowflakes" that demand instant gratification no matter how insignificant it is.

The shooter held a confederate flag. OMG..we need to take down the flag now from everywhere.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,013,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, we're a nation of "snowflakes" that demand instant gratification no matter how insignificant it is.

The shooter held a confederate flag. OMG..we need to take down the flag now from everywhere.
No, we need to take it down because it represents human oppression. The same way the swatstika does. Roof just brought this fact to the forefront

Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No, we need to take it down because it represents human oppression. The same way the swatstika does. Roof just brought this fact to the forefront
Roof got the twitter crowd all riled up to "activate" against it.

Now there's the call to remove statues.

The great purge is underway.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,405,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The thing is, when the Dukes of Hazzard came out (late 70s, early 80s IIRC) the Confederate Battle Flag wasn't considered a racist symbol. If it had been, it never would have had the prominence it did on national TV. It's only in the last 5 years or so that leftist nutjobs have gone on and on bleating that it's a "symbol of racism". And the weak-mined sheep followed along

What's next, eliminating American Indian symbols and heritage because they waged war on the US?
It was a symbol of racism then.

It's a symbol of racism now.

Just accept it and join the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies