Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:52 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't think that analogy works quite the way you intended. Are you saying ISIS is to Islam as Columbus is to Christianity? Columbus had some redeeming qualities despite establishing a slave trade and... ISIS also has redeeming qualities?
Well, I wasn't really trying to compare ISIS and Columbus. I was picking out a Christian example that had a less than moral use of the religion. I could have picked form others, but Columbus is pretty much universally recognizable. No one would need to Google him.

ISIS being a group, can't truly be compared to Columbus, even if we included the sailors and hired workers who would have accompanied him on his expedition. ISIS as a whole realistically has no redeeming qualities that I can find. Individuals members very well could. It would be logistically impossible to pass judgment on every single one of them. In fairness, many are likely being conned into believing the nonsense they're being spoon fed, and in a way, there is bravery for fighting for what you believe in. It's hard to give the enemy that credit, but if one is to be fair, you have to. Though like I said, they're following something that has been corrupted by power hungry warlords.

Ultimately, the analogy was to compare the reactions. ISIS does bad things, Columbus did bad things. The scale of the bad things aside, the actions of the smaller sect of a religion should not be applied universally to all people of the religion, no matter what said religion is. Christianity and Islam are, for whatever reason, the two most offended against in this area, with Jews falling just behind them (though at one point, they would have been just as targeted, if not more). And few people will make this criticism, the exaggeration that the worst of these people are representative of the whole, of both Christianity and Islam. Most only target one, while quickly coming to the defense of the other.

And this mentality exists outside of religious issues. Gun rights, gay rights, and pretty much any political issue can all have this problem. Because some gay people have self destructive life styles, they all should be prohibited from marriage or adoption. Because some people use guns to harm others, no one should have guns. The people who are on the defending end of these statements recognize the absurdity of them, though often still make them when a different issue is made up. This was my point. Christians and Muslims both should be judged based on who the individual is and somewhat off of what they're respective holy books say (though even that should be secondary to the judgment of the individual as an individual), not what others who also are bound to that religion think, say, or do. This is a standard most people hold for the things they support, but not for the things they are against. As far as I'm concerned, you either support people's freedom, or you don't. To selectively choose who has the right to practice what faith or hold what belief is to not believe in freedom, even if you afford personal choice to a small approved number of groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:43 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
So after three pages of comments about young women being held in a cage like animals the end result is middle-school jokes and comparisons to Christopher Columbus?

There's obviously no point in posting the atrocities that ISIS is doing to women because it certainly appears that men--regardless of where they are--just don't seem to care.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:13 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
You don't see any other major religion today with 100,000+ members killing members of other religions....but liberals have to bring up Christopher Columbus? hahaha....progressivism is truly a mental disorder.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:38 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
So after three pages of comments about young women being held in a cage like animals the end result is middle-school jokes and comparisons to Christopher Columbus?

There's obviously no point in posting the atrocities that ISIS is doing to women because it certainly appears that men--regardless of where they are--just don't seem to care.
Liberals have more important things to worry about. Like forcing christians to make wedding cakes for homosexuals or making others pay for their birth control. Women being made sex slaves, that's trivia.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
In this case it is policy, not off shoot .
Christians do not have a policy of terrorism and enslavment nor do they kill any one not a christian, or for choosing not to be a christian.
Koran teachers, teach islamic policy .. To be a good muslam, you kill infadels. or in this case, enslave them.
You whom defend them , how about surrendering your daughter to them. ? if it's so great.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:32 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Maybe, this is why so many American muslims are traveling back there.....sick culture!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I already see an argument about Islam popping up, so I just want to offer my two cents worth before this gets to a point where I won't be able to read because my eyes will be permanently rolled into back of my head by the sheer amount of stupidity that arises.

Obviously, not all Muslims are like this. Many, realistically most, would be disgusted by the idea of a sex slave.

That doesn't make ISIS something other than Islamic.

Even people who honor Columbus for his navigational skills would agree that the establishment of a slave trade is a very bad thing. But the same people who immediately call out anyone who brings issues like ISIS an 'Islamaphobe' would be the same to hold all Christian accountable for the actions of a guy like Columbus, who even by the most cynical of critics, has at least some redeeming qualities.

You shouldn't judge parts of a whole and apply the sins of the parts to every member of the whole, no matter the subject, rather it's gay people, Muslims, gun owners, Christians, or anything that is a smaller category of human. It's always going to be intellectually inaccurate. But do not mistake pointing out the crimes of a part for claiming it's the work of the whole.
Why is it when people compare radical Islam they have to reach WAY back in history to compare America or Christians to these people? If we dealt with what is going on today, instead of constantly giving ISIS and other groups an excuse for the violence, we may get somewhere. The constant not ALL Muslims are like this keeps us from dealing with the few.

Matter of fact, when President Obama said, "57 states was he speaking about 57 Islamic States?" I wonder why hasn't our President called for ISIS to stop harming women and children, why is he allowing them to grow? This is going to keep growing as long as people keep giving ISIS and out for their beliefs.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Liberals have more important things to worry about. Like forcing christians to make wedding cakes for homosexuals or making others pay for their birth control. Women being made sex slaves, that's trivia.
Nothing new to the left......this was their first attempt that worked in America. Magazines written by the left and driven into young girls minds, on how we are to act to get certain things in life. How are bodies are to be or not to be and the best way to get the boy, all involves sex, never the brain or self worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies