Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 01:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,052,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You just don't get it do you ?
Oh I get it, I have stated it many times, you seem not to get it though. Republicans long for the days where they can discriminate and not worry about violating any laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:29 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,089,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
More liberals and progressives are in the party now. No one switched ideologies.
The underlying base of people are changing.
So if an influx of people changed the underlying base of the Democrats into a more progressive, liberal party and away from state's rights, what must've happened to the underlying base of Republicans to change them into the Conservative, state's rights party?

We live under a two-party system. The only way a party changes ideology's is if there's an influx and exodus of voter types. If Democrats gained a bunch of Liberal voters, those voters had to come from somewhere. If Republicans gained a bunch of Conservative, state's right people, those voters had to come from somewhere. The only place they could have come from Democrats and Republicans is... the other party.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,583,304 times
OMG, white people back in the day were racist? NOooo way

Old 06-26-2015, 03:04 PM

674 posts, read 607,933 times
Was there a talk show host pushing this stuff earlier this week? This isn't the first place I've heard someone bleating about how the Democrats are the real racists.

The nation's progressives won some nice victories in the court this week, with at least one of them being a major landmark civil rights case that will be mentioned prominently in our children's history textbooks next to Loving v. Virginia and Brown v. The Board of Education. Democrats have been the ones fighting for civil rights since LBJ. (Not the only ones, to be sure, but they've been the party most concerned with it, and most of the opposition has come from the Republicans.) So, of course the Republican talking heads must be trying to deny this.

Most of the racist rhetoric has come from the South. You know, the part of the country that imported slaves and treated them as less than human. The South was largely Democratic for a long time. Then, in the 60s, things changed. Republicans courted the Southern vote, and they won it. This pretty much lost them the votes of most minority populations ever since then, but it got them a Southern conservative white male demographic that they've clung to since then.

And that's how it's been since before most of us were born.

Yeah, a different group of Democrats who were born the century before last were nasty racists. So what? The thing that matters now is that we have one party actively fighting against civil rights (see all the complaining over Obergefell v. Hodges and the constant, sickening rhetoric on immigration). Again, not every Republican is like that (Bush, for example, was not nearly as hostile to immigrants as your average Fox News type is), but the noise is all coming from one direction.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,771,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Then why are the Teabagger Republicans upholding the traditions of the old Dixiecrats like suppressing black voters and supporting cops who kill young black men? What cognitive dissonance allows the white supremacist Teabagger degenerates to whine about Confederate flags being removed one minute then claim everyone but them are racist the next?
I suggest that the only thing you know about "teabaggers" is what you and you buddies talk about around wherever you congregate and make up things about them out of whole cloth. Where are black voters being suppressed? Got any evidence? Got any polls that show that "teabaggers" support cops who gun down unarmed blacks? Do you know for fact that "teabaggers" support confederate flags in statehouses?

One more example of the liberal left just making things up.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,622,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh I get it, I have stated it many times, you seem not to get it though. Republicans long for the days where they can discriminate and not worry about violating any laws.
uh.. Are you getting confused lol? That was the Democratic KKK and other racist democrats that discriminated and they are still enjoying keeping you down.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:29 PM

175 posts, read 255,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
As blacks vote overwhelmingly for the Dems, I assume you believe that blacks either can't think for themselves or wish to be 'enslaved' again.

I'm grateful that a majority of conservatives believe that, it will ensure that the Republicans will never earn much more than a tiny fraction of the black vote.
Dems keep blacks on the government plantation by keeping them dependent. And they keep them dependent by making them believe they can't survive without them and they're just not good enough to make it on their own. Dems never really gave up their overt racism, they just mask it and internalize it now. As long as they can be sure they have the black vote to maintain their power, they'll pretend to be on their side. As LBJ once said, "I'll have those (n-words) voting Democratic for the next 50 years." And he did too. And if you are an African-American who dares to think outside of their confining little box, prepare to be demonized, "discredited" and dragged through the mud.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,409,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
A short reminder to the numerous posters on CD who automatically equate Republicans with racism.

https://ricochet.com/whitewashing-th...artys-history/

A lot of you have no sense of history plus it's fun to annoy the sanctimonious libs out there.
Those of us with brains do not equate Republicans with racism; we correlate social conservatives with racism. Republicans and social conservatives have not been equivalent throughout history.

And similarly, it's stupid to equate Democrats with racism, either. You need to think in terms of liberals and conservatives as that is the constant definition over time.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:56 PM

13,675 posts, read 8,964,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR4929 View Post
Dems keep blacks on the government plantation by keeping them dependent. And they keep them dependent by making them believe they can't survive without them and they're just not good enough to make it on their own. Dems never really gave up their overt racism, they just mask it and internalize it now. As long as they can be sure they have the black vote to maintain their power, they'll pretend to be on their side. As LBJ once said, "I'll have those (n-words) voting Democratic for the next 50 years." And he did too. And if you are an African-American who dares to think outside of their confining little box, prepare to be demonized, "discredited" and dragged through the mud.
Are you Rush? For I hear him, and other radio pundits, make the same argument.

I do recall President Johnson, upon signing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as stating "We have lost the South for the next generation". Which was true. The white Southerners turned "Republican".

Meanwhile, I recall (for I was born in 1955) of devastating poverty among black Americans. When JFK was killed, blacks still had to ride in the 'back of the bus", and I recall the separate water fountains and such for 'blacks' and 'whites'. I recall black Americans starving and coming to our door asking for food. This is not a fantasy of my mind, but it was real life.

Do not be so easily persuaded by radio hosts. I listened to Rush for years. I found him amusing during my commute (for my station replayed his mid-morning show during the later afternoon). Yet, I was strong-willed enough not simply accept his statements as 'truth'.

Anyway, the much uttered statement that "Democrats" or "Liberals" wish to keep the black Americans 'down' so as to get their 'vote' is utter nonsense. These various programs were created to keep Americans (for they applied to all, regardless of skin pigmentation) alive. Do you think that those white Americans that receive the same Federal or State benefits are being done to 'secure the White Vote"? It is not logical.

I believe that some of these programs are misguided, or have had unintended consequences. Yet, a logical person of 'advanced age' (like me) knows that they were not implemented in order to secure 'votes' in the future. The argument that such laws were passed to keep 'blacks dependent on Democrats" is a red herring, and should be shunned by thinking people.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,449,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
... Democrats have been the ones fighting for civil rights since LBJ....
Neither the DNC nor the Democrats have done one damned thing for Gays & Lesbians in the USA except pay lip service. They could have pushed through a Gay marriage law through the congress years ago but they didn't. And there are large numbers of socially conservative DNC members from the African American religious community who have been very vocal against Gay rights. So your simplistic good vs bad viewpoint isn't reflected in reality.

The decision today was at the hand of Gay & Lesbian individuals who took the issue to the courts. They were forced to do this because the lame politicians in Congress have done nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies