Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:30 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Have you ever tried watching the thing? Go on, I dare you.

It's historically significant, sure.

It represents a view current at the time, sure.

As a movie, it sucks.

As much as I liked Ebert, and as much as I miss him - I didn't always agree with him. I'm sure he was always fine with that.
Watched the other night...About the 3rd time I have seen it.....First time was for a film appreciation class I had....
Here's another film I suggest http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...umentary/2047/
It mentions how the Nazis banned the original Novel in '37 I believe. How History does repeat!!!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,690,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Watched the other night...About the 3rd time I have seen it.....First time was for a film appreciation class I had....
Congratulations, you have more endurance than I do!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,294,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am buying a rebel flag as soon as I can.
Oh course you are.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,961,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
As much as I'm all pro north( its just better up here except maybe food wise) and anti racism, maybe we should all start flying the rebel flag just to send a message to the government and the haters to back off and lighten the hell up. Support free speech even if you don't agree with what's being said.
Or maybe somebody can come up with a new flag we can all start waving, a sort of no confidence vote for the country since everybody seems either to hate it way back when, to hate it now or hate where its headed.

I'm from the north too. Born and raised in Ohio, and have lived here all of my life. The food here is outstanding. If you're a foodie then you'd like Cleveland as there are a lot of cool restaurants in the city. I hate winters, and would love to spend that season in a southern climate and return in the spring. At any rate I digress. I've never owned a rebel flag, never had the desire to own one, and never gave it a second thought about owning one. BUT, part of me almost wants to get one now. Not because I'm racist, or a bigot, because I judge people based on the individual, that individual's character, and how they treat me. Not because I'm a "redneck" because I'm not into that genre either. But basically to stick it to these moronic leftist freaks with their emotional, knee jerk reactions, in seeking to ban, and supress everything, unless it's something that they approve of. Sometimes too much protesting has the opposite effect, and therefore support will be lost from the average American, when they may have otherwise been on your side.

Let's face it! That flag did NOT kill those innocent church goers! A freakin' hate filled nut job used is hate and bigotry to kill those people! This individual is not representative of every white person in this country, nor every person that waves or owns a rebel flag! He would have done it regardless of whether or not that flag existed or not! Why? Because he is a low life POS!!!!! Let's get to the root of the problem... and deal with it... that being Dylan Roof and cut the ridiculous hyperbole, knee jerk reactions that are nothing more than feel good measures that really don't address the problem!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
I got my DVD and I got my book so go ahead and ban it.
The self righteous are on a purge of history as if that will fix everything.

At least this purge is non violent..no mobs topping down statues.
Just spray paint vandalism that gets cleaned off the next day.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Are you suggesting the far right is advocating the banning or destruction of this movie and perhaps also the book that it is based on? The right has never advocated banning literature or art. Only the left does that.
I'm pretty sure the people who wanted the Harry Potter books banned were mostly on the right of the political spectrum.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:35 AM

39,052 posts, read 27,468,646 times
Far left, or far right. All nuts.

I suppose most people want to bridge the gaps that divide us, to live in peace and harmony. It's going to take everyone coming together, shutting their opinion-holes for once.

It is pretty sad that chinese cultural revolution is happening here in the United States.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:39 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,981,200 times
That article gives a whole new meaning to "a civilization gone with the wind" , sort of proving that the theme of the work* resonates to this day, especially for the South and other downtrodden parts of the world**. Besides, the writer of that piece should try selling that idea to the people at Turner Classic Movies; they seem to have mastered the ability to accept and make sense of the past while having differing ideas from those in the past and not wanting to destroy artifacts to pretend like the past never happened, unlike many others in this country. Isn't that exceptional?

If reading about it and remembering the past of one's own people wouldn't seem to these people like a moral endorsement of every evil that happened before Obama was elected, they should look up iconoclasm; as most any archaeologist or historian will tell you, it's far from a virtuous activity.

*Which is "survival", by the way, not "put down those uppity blacks", which seems to be recognized everywhere else but not in America. If it really was racist wouldn't people outside the U.S. recognize themes of racism rather than the rather neutral themes of war, love, racial conflict, class, gender, life, and death that they do recognize?

**Yes, the South is still a downtrodden part of the world, as evidenced by the current attempt to exterminate their symbols and culture, erasing their identity as a distinct people, which has been called cultural genocide. This don't happen to Americans in the North or West. Significant parts of the South are still far poorer relative to the country as a whole than they were before the Civil War, most prominently the Mississippi Delta; before the war Mississippi was the fifth-wealthiest state in the country, but today it has long been among the poorest. Now, lots of this wealth was in slaves which wouldn't be counted as such now, but still it reflects a tremendous weakening of the economy there that persists to the present day.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 AM

7,910 posts, read 9,116,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I got my DVD and I got my book so go ahead and ban it.
The self righteous are on a purge of history as if that will fix everything.

At least this purge is non violent..no mobs topping down statues.
Just spray paint vandalism that gets cleaned off the next day.
Not violent yet. Hysteria tends to make people frothy. Who knows what it will lead to.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:43 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,066,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Far left, or far right. All nuts.

I suppose most people want to bridge the gaps that divide us, to live in peace and harmony. It's going to take everyone coming together, shutting their opinion-holes for once.

It is pretty sad that chinese cultural revolution is happening here in the United States.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.