Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
NO! He did not say that was His mission, nor did He say it was the mission of the Body of Christ. Don't confuse "status of the world" with "my task."

And when he [the Holy Spirit] comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God's righteousness, and of the coming judgment.
-- John 16

There is a holy division of labor at work. Conviction of sin is the role of the Holy Spirit. When Christians do it, we screw up the process.
No, He didn't. Nowhere did He say that, ever.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. -- Matthew 28

A person who accepts Jesus is no longer a categorical "sinner" (he may commit acts of sin, but he is no longer a categorical "sinner."

The process is to call people into discipleship in the Body of Christ, and within discipleship you teach them how to obey Jesus. (We can debate the specifics of Jesus' commands within the Body of Christ in another thread.)

But the first point of the process is to understand that while someone is yet outside the Body of Christ, there is no teaching of obedience that can be done. First comes acceptance of Jesus, then obedience.

Look at Jesus' own example:

Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”

He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”

“I have no husband,” she replied.

Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”
-- John 4

Look at the sequence! First the woman accepts, then Jesus points out her particular sin.

There is conviction of sin prior to acceptance of Jesus through the work of the Holy Spirit. But conviction of sin is not the same thing as repentance. There is no repentance of sin outside the Body of Christ, nor is it even possible:

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
-- Romans 8

Jesus never spoke to anyone who was not already a believer in God--or at least claimed to be. The "them" in that statement referred to those who claimed to be speaking for God.

Regarding the teaching of children, it's been another error by the Church evfer to let our children be taught in the king's schools. As one pastor has said, "If you sent your children to Roman schools, don't be surprised if they turn out Roman."
Yes, Jesus did say to preach to the world. Go into all the WORLD.

The holy spirit is the spirit of God and it is a living Holy Spirit in the Word of God. The spirit moves on men who hear the word of God. One person who hears the word of God , their heart will harden , another they will accept the word though the Holy Spirit. Without the word of God , there is no invitation or no knowledge. God said, without knowledge my people perish.
The following is false teaching.
Jesus never spoke to anyone who was not already a believer in God--or at least claimed to be. The "them" in that statement referred to those who claimed to be speaking for God.

Jesus spoke to many who rejected his words. He was stoned and called Satan by unbelievers.

Those lost will stay lost if they reject the word of God, those who read of what God has to say about homosexuality will either accept it or reject it.

Some choose to stay in the flesh and feed the flesh, the unbelievers, others feed their spirit with the word of God.

Since when can a Christian take the place of the Holy Spirit and mess it up.. that is a new one.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So government will no longer define marriage, just recognize a contract between two people
Sure. But you do realize that you still have to provide evidence that the contract was legal if one party takes the other to court - and unless the contract was drawn up by a lawyer, it may contain provisions that are not enforceable in court.

With those caveats, you're good to go.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:02 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,803 times
What if Sasquatch came down out of the mountains and demanded the right to marry a tadpole? Then what?

Wait. That's just trying to change the subject through the use of absurd false equivalences. Kind of like what you hear "some people" trying to do on the Dylann Roof subject out there. Lots of "if you remove the rebel flag, then you have to {absurd false equivalence here}" being spouted around the nation.

The ABSURD FALSE EQUIVALENCE tm - a registered trademark of right wing media tactics inc.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Where is discrimination mentioned as a First Amendment Right?

Would you advocate a return to whites only lunch counters?

Job postings where NO Micks need apply?

Etc., etc., etc............................................... ..............
discrimination is in fact FREE SPEECH. to which i have a right. would i advocate for the things you suggested, no just no but HELL NO. the only thing that i am against in this thread is gay marriage. try a little reading comprehension, and try reading my posts IN THIS THREAD before making stupid suggestions like this.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:17 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
discrimination is in fact FREE SPEECH. to which i have a right. would i advocate for the things you suggested, no just no but HELL NO. the only thing that i am against in this thread is gay marriage. try a little reading comprehension, and try reading my posts IN THIS THREAD before making stupid suggestions like this.
GEE

The SCOTUS says one thing and rbohm says another, which one should we accept as relevant to the law of the land?

No offense but I'm gonna go with the SCOTUS.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
GEE

The SCOTUS says one thing and rbohm says another, which one should we accept as relevant to the law of the land?

No offense but I'm gonna go with the SCOTUS.
the constitution free speech, the scotus is putting limitations on that free speech, meaning it is no longer free. so you can go with the scotus ruling if you choose, but like the rest of government, they too are limiting you rights to what they want, and damn the constitution.

the right to free speech has now become, a right to free speech as long as we approve of that speech. if we dont then you dont have the right to say it.

and it is also the same with religion. you have the right exercise your religion as the scotus sees fit. if the scotus disagrees, then you cant freely exercise your religion.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
And where is this effort to force Churches to marry gays? This has been about CIVIL MARRIAGE under the LAW. That has nothing to do with the church.
The only place you'll hear about that effort is on Fox News or listening to Glenn Beck. It's paranoia not based in reality.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:19 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why cant we separate government from marriage?
Gimme my gubment benefits!

That's why.

Americans are a dependent lot. Soon they will be celebrating Independence Day but that is a joke.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:21 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The only place you'll hear about that effort is on Fox News or listening to Glenn Beck. It's paranoia not based in reality.
Kinda like when Hillary said marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman while saying we don't need no constitutional amendment to defend marriage. You know marriage where once upon a time everyone knew was between a man and a woman.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:30 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
I think it would save people the headache if government just called all of their marriages 'civil unions.' Dumb people wouldn't have to figure out the difference between court marriage and a church marriage, and since reactionaries will ***** and moan no matter what happens, that might as well be what they do.

Many Christians can see the difference though. I'd argue most do. It's the conservative crowd that's causing the problem. Obviously not all conservatives. The one's who are capable of thought figured it our, as well as the Libertarian conservatives. It's the far right, religious-reactionary crowd that can't or won't make the distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies