Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well maybe if you stopped pursuing gun controls after every event something might be achieved.

Columbine, everyone ran around saying we needed to do something, about guns (failing to realize that the Brady Act had passed, and the AWB was in effect). Nothing was resolved, and no actions really were taken.

Virginia Tech, everyone ran around saying we needed to do something about guns (again failing to realize that the Brady Act was in effect, although the AWB had sunsetted, but the perpetrator used handguns). Nothing was resolved, and no actions really were taken.

Sandy Hook, everyone ran around saying we needed to do something about guns (failing to realize for the third time that the Brady Act was still in effect, the AWB was still sunsetted). Nothing was resolved, and no actions really were taken.

Charleston, everyone is running around saying we need to do something about guns (once again failing to realize that the Brady Act is still in effect), what do you think the outcome will be?

You understand the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing another time and expecting a different result. If your strategy attempts have failed repeatedly (and they have) then perhaps something else should be looked into to try to avert these events.

Still, no one has addressed my posting on African Americans have a homicide rate in the US of 59/100,000 compared to the rest of the US populations 2/100,000. I guess that it doesn't matter too much to people. I mean it's only at or above the estimated homicide rate in Venezuela (since they do not publish figures on homicides any more). Of course given that the African American segment has precisely the same availability to firearms as everyone else it's a little bit of a fly in the ointment, if availability of firearms is the issue then why is there this exceptionally high rate among one single segment of the US population?
After every event? This has been happening almost monthly, how about we look at it as trying to pass gun control before the next one happens in a month or two. Clearly we as a country is doing a poor job at preventing mass murders from happening and it seems to be getting worse.

The homicide rate has been dropping because cities have become safer, but you cannot ignore the fact that mass shootings have been on the rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:22 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
After every event? This has been happening almost monthly, how about we look at it as trying to pass gun control before the next one happens in a month or two. Clearly we as a country is doing a poor job at preventing mass murders from happening and it seems to be getting worse.

The homicide rate has been dropping because cities have become safer, but you cannot ignore the fact that mass shootings have been on the rise.
Give us, by date over the last 5 years of mass murders......

GO ahead, we can wait....and when you find out the truth, you won't post anything, I mean you said they are happening almost monthly.....it should be easy to do...MASS murders.....

Old 06-30-2015, 06:34 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:

They've been happening monthly for a very long time 2-3 people being the low limit for a mass shooting, you're just getting to know about them more often because it's sensationalized in news media.

At most there are 200 victims of mass shootings a year.

There are at least 4256 African Americans being killed annually more than their population representation should indicate (assuming they suffer the same rate of homicide as everyone else based on 2012 figures).

Let's see which one I think is the higher priority...

Hmm, 200 people vs 4000 and a quarter. Tough one to determine <not!>. I mean come on we're talking 3rd world and worse homicide rates for AA's as non-AA's in the US, and you're saying the US has a gun problem? You'd be happy with ~4250 people dying every year to pursue saving 200. What's more this has been going on for decades, not recent increases, but for decades the US AA population has experienced 50% or more of all US homicides annually and no one cares, your posting proves you don't care too much either.

Simple math, which is greater 200, or 4250?

You want to save lives, why are you not focused on 4250 and focused on 200?

Is it because you're not likely to be included in the 4250 group, but may be in the 200 group?

Is it because the availability of guns is the same across populations of non-AA's and AA's in all areas, thus refutes the arguments that it's a gun problem (if everyone has the same availability of firearms, and one segment is a huge outlier, how can firearms be the root cause)?

Is it because there is not a "silver bullet" solution? That being so what makes you think there's a silver bullet solution for mass shootings?

Seriously if you want to decrease the homicide rates in the US then the homicide rate of the US AA population has to be addressed, because saving 200 people isn't going to seriously impact the US homicide rate, I know the events are shocking and traumatizing, but the cold hard calculus of math does not indicate that they are the biggest issue.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
This is just an Internet forum site, I don't have any plan to present to you to be voted on, just speaking my opinion.
Quote:

once again you prove that;

1: you have nothing to propose

2: you are in fact a gun grabber you just dont want people to know it.

we have tens of thousands of gun control laws in this country, and not one of them has ever stopped a mass shooting, let alone a crime of any kind. WHY? because criminals do not follow the law, they actually operate outside the laws which is why they have been called OUTLAWS in the past.

gun control is not what we need, CRIMINAL control is what we need. stop with the coddling of criminals, stop with the, we have to rehabilitate them, stop with the we need to let them out of prison early if they behave. none of these things works. if we sentence a criminal to five years in prison, then they need to serve that entire time. we should not be letting them out in 2.5 years on good behavior, or some such garbage.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again you prove that;

1: you have nothing to propose

2: you are in fact a gun grabber you just dont want people to know it.

we have tens of thousands of gun control laws in this country, and not one of them has ever stopped a mass shooting, let alone a crime of any kind. WHY? because criminals do not follow the law, they actually operate outside the laws which is why they have been called OUTLAWS in the past.

gun control is not what we need, CRIMINAL control is what we need. stop with the coddling of criminals, stop with the, we have to rehabilitate them, stop with the we need to let them out of prison early if they behave. none of these things works. if we sentence a criminal to five years in prison, then they need to serve that entire time. we should not be letting them out in 2.5 years on good behavior, or some such garbage.
I am NOT a politican, I have nothing to propose, I am simply stating an opinion. So you have a plan you were hoping to compare or something?

Do you support someone who is mentally ill being able to stop by the gun shop and pick up a gun on his way to the school he is planning on "visiting?"

Old 07-01-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I am NOT a politican, I have nothing to propose, I am simply stating an opinion. So you have a plan you were hoping to compare or something?

Do you support someone who is mentally ill being able to stop by the gun shop and pick up a gun on his way to the school he is planning on "visiting?"
no i dont support the mentally ill being able to own firearms. but you still havent made any suggestions as to how to keep guns out of the hands of criminals while protecting the rights of law abiding citizens. and i suspect that is because you would be outed as a gun grabber, which you dont want. this drivel of not being a politician is a smoke screen so you dont have to produce any suggestions.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
no i dont support the mentally ill being able to own firearms. but you still havent made any suggestions as to how to keep guns out of the hands of criminals while protecting the rights of law abiding citizens. and i suspect that is because you would be outed as a gun grabber, which you dont want. this drivel of not being a politician is a smoke screen so you dont have to produce any suggestions.
So in your first sentence, you say you support gun control, guess that makes you a "gun grabber"by your own definition....

I have no suggestions on how to write laws, I have never claimed to be in such a position. So to answer your question again, I DO NOT have a written plan for any possible gun laws. All I can give you is my opinions, take them however you want. This will be my last post in regards to your request to see any plans that you think I have...

Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
So in your first sentence, you say you support gun control, guess that makes you a "gun grabber"by your own definition....

I have no suggestions on how to write laws, I have never claimed to be in such a position. So to answer your question again, I DO NOT have a written plan for any possible gun laws. All I can give you is my opinions, take them however you want. This will be my last post in regards to your request to see any plans that you think I have...
no i said i supported mentally ill people being prevented from owning firearms, convicted criminals as well. you wanted "common sense" gun laws, well those are common sense. i have no objection to law abiding citizens owning firearms. that does NOT make me a gun grabber. if on the other hand i were to suggest things like waiting periods, gun bans, limited capacity magazines, etc, THAT would make me a gun grabber.

as to the rest, lets hear your opinions, you obviously have them. why do you avoid putting them out there? why the smoke screen? afraid?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
no i said i supported mentally ill people being prevented from owning firearms, convicted criminals as well. you wanted "common sense" gun laws, well those are common sense. i have no objection to law abiding citizens owning firearms. that does NOT make me a gun grabber. if on the other hand i were to suggest things like waiting periods, gun bans, limited capacity magazines, etc, THAT would make me a gun grabber.

as to the rest, lets hear your opinions, you obviously have them. why do you avoid putting them out there? why the smoke screen? afraid?
I have stated my opinions on this topic plenty on this forum, you are welcome to go back and reread them if that interests you. I have a busy day tomorrow and responding to an anonymous user online will rank low on my priorities.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:46 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Exclamation The Last Action to protect Life!

Quote:
Gotta love America's obsession with guns, thinking all our problems could be cured with a gun in our hands. That is the same the same thing mass murderers tend to think when they take a gun to use it to harm others. We need to change the social mentality of this country that things guns will solve all our problems.
No it does not, but can save a life with all other options have failed. So got back to your fashion Mag. and take anther sip of your Latte,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies