Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the voting age be raised and/or should their be testing for potential voters?
Yes 21 39.62%
No 32 60.38%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:56 PM

818 posts, read 1,016,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't agree when talking about voting and the draft. The age cutoff needs to be same in all 50 states.
The cutoff makes no difference. There most likely will never be another draft. Time to re-amend the amendment. Most young people don't know what they are voting for. They are voting based on media propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:58 PM

818 posts, read 1,016,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I would support taking away the right to vote past a certain age. If you are old enough to collect Social Security and/or Medicare, you should not be allowed to vote. At that age, you are a cultural relic holding back progress.
That would depend on what your definition of 'progress' is.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:01 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I would support taking away the right to vote past a certain age. If you are old enough to collect Social Security and/or Medicare, you should not be allowed to vote. At that age, you are a cultural relic holding back progress.
I'll bet my 80-year-old mother with dementia has more of a clue than some folks.....

Old 06-29-2015, 03:05 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do think about having potential voters having to be able to pass a basic comprehension test to be eligible to vote? It would show that the test taker may have the ability to somewhat comprehend the fundamental principles of the Constitution and is able to make an informed decision. Basic history and political questions. The test could be taken at the voting booth electronically. For the long term prosperity and health of the country I think this may be a good idea.

How do you feel about raising the voting age to a more mature age? It seems that teenagers are not truly aware of what is happening or mature enough to make intelligent and informed decisions regarding the future of the country. I know I wasn't. Not speaking for everyone but how many 18 years do you know that are?
How about an I.Q. requirement? I think a minimum of 120 or so should eliminate most Republicans.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:19 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
I think there should be an upper age limit on voting - maybe 65, maybe 70. Old people don't have any stake in the future and they vote for their own narrow interests instead of the good of future generations.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:33 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think there should be an upper age limit on voting - maybe 65, maybe 70. Old people don't have any stake in the future and they vote for their own narrow interests instead of the good of future generations.
I take back what I said..... maybe we should have an IQ test. I guess at 65 we become non-citizens.....

Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
There should be a license to vote. Just imagine somehow elect another Hitler, I mean Bush, I mean Obama, I mean... you get my point.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:42 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
How about an I.Q. requirement? I think a minimum of 120 or so should eliminate most Republicans.
By definition, a cutoff of 100 would eliminate half the population. So yeah, you're right. You made a dumb comment, but you happen to be right.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
"Old enough to die, old enough to vote." Why should that be changed, or used to discriminate against those who aren't already in the military?
For the simple reason that those who have/are experiencing different countries where they see first hand the conflict and human tragedy that they will never experience at home "should" give them a far better grasp of not only the better perspective on that which they are voting but also the importance of voting from a base of more of life's experience in the real world.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:52 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
It doesn't really matter which party wins the presidential races at this point... they are both bought out by the banking elite... so I don't really care who votes... you sheep can keep thinking your vote matters at the federal level.
Haven't you figured out that business will either be successful or go out of business? Business has to put up with all the government regulations, laws and crap. Get government "out of business" and no one has to be "bought off." That's a simple fact!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies