Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times

Advertisements

I'd be ok and happy to just force everyone to do whatever, let them quit or be fired for "standing up for their faith" and give their jobs to people who want to work. It's ridiculous. Imaging if an insurance company didn't want to write an auto policy for a gay person. IMAGINE! Well I can't so bakers, clerks and florists can deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
A government employee is hired to do a job. As the government cannot discriminate on the basis of a prospective employees religion the employ cannot discriminate on a religious basis about what they have to do for the job. If an employee cannot do their job for personal religious reasons they can simply quit and find another job where discrimination is allowed.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
In Estonia...you can file a marriage licence and divorce on the internet...we should start doing that here so these people can stop complaining
Amen! But that is Estonia... here in the USA, people want to step back into the middle ages.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I didn't realize that baked goods had a sexual orientation.
I would be wary of ordering from such bakers, who look into their baked goods as sex-related objects. May be they should be required to post signs, so nobody wastes their time, and deals with their nasty products.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would be wary of ordering from such bakers, who look into their baked goods as sex-related objects. May be they should be required to post signs, so nobody wastes their time, and deals with their nasty products.
So should you be compelled to cater a KKK or neo-Nazi rally against your beliefs just because food can't be racial objects?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
And DON'T order the apple pie!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So should you be compelled to cater a KKK or neo-Nazi rally against your beliefs just because food can't be racial objects?
If I were in business of selling goods, I would be looking at profits. My customers' business ain't mine, unless it is in any way meant to harm another person.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
If I were in business of selling goods, I would be looking at profits. My customers' business ain't mine, unless it is in any way meant to harm another person.
That's perfectly valid. But should say a black or Jewish or any other caterer be compelled to cater an event like a KKK or Nazi rally or a NAMBLA convention against their wishes and beliefs since food can't be racial or sexual?

I think private business owners should be able to decide to serve or not serve anyone for whatever reason they see fit.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's perfectly valid. But should say a black or Jewish or any other caterer be compelled to cater an event like a KKK or Nazi rally or a NAMBLA convention against their wishes and beliefs since food can't be racial or sexual?

I think private business owners should be able to decide to serve or not serve anyone for whatever reason they see fit.
"Compelled" is about being overly dramatic. This is about business, operating in a community from which it expects to be protected and benefits as well. Unless the demand is to hurt another party/person in any way, I see ZERO reason to deny service (in fact, it is foolish and pathetic to do so, both as a person and as a business). Do you prefer to advertise your personal matters to everybody and ask for their approval? I don't. I won't expect my customers to either.

However, a business should be free to decide on one condition: honesty. Post a sign upfront that specific customers will not be served. I would prefer not to even accidentally step into such businesses, to give them even a penny I might drop somewhere. They are undeserving and idiots. This is why I also hope all in questionable love of the confederate and neo-Nazi symbols do so openly so it makes it easier to identify someone disgusting and better left to his/her own ills.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderking View Post
No, and no law in the US would require such.
So why does the commerce clause and "public accommodation" law apply to compel private business owners to serve gay weddings but not serving other conventions protected by the 1st amendment?

Sexual orientation or lifestyle is not even a protected class yet anyway. So why are gay weddings required to have special treatment?

Wedding service providers are already being compelled even before the SC ruling-sued, fined $100's thousands, their business licenses revoked all for not wanting to serve gay weddings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies