U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 PM

26,788 posts, read 17,366,238 times

Advertisements

The "Free Trade Agreements" are depleting our country. America is being sold off like livestock on an auction block. This is a must read article.

ThomHartmann.com - When Americans No Longer Own America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:11 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,819,620 times
Complicated issue, with multiple considerations:

- US ownership in foreign companies

- Retaliatory tariffs

- Advantages in shared stakeholders

- Reduced international military tension through mutual financial interest

Not being dismissive of the OP concern, but this topic is a massive discussion with multiple attributes (with pros and cons within each).

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 19,824,802 times
Its not really "free trade" its more like "managed trade"... its no accident that we have "managed trade" ... regulations = monopoly... why? Who do you think makes those regulations? Big business...

Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,634,544 times
I agree. If I had the ability, I would revoke all these trade deals. If these trade deals were so good for America, why is our trade deficit at record levels? The globalists have yet to answer that question with a clear answer.

I would also impose heavy restrictions on foreign ownership of key parts of our economy. Foreign ownership is NOT in our best interest.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,325,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I
I would also impose heavy restrictions on foreign ownership of key parts of our economy. Foreign ownership is NOT in our best interest.
Your post makes me sigh heavily.

We have borrowed money (as a country) from other countries for a long time. They have gazillions of our dollars to spend and the best place to spend them is here in the USA cuz no other country really wants out dollars anymore.

That's why they want to buy our assets. They have the money. Our companies have the assets to sell. It's a simple commerce matter.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,644,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The "Free Trade Agreements" are depleting our country. America is being sold off like livestock on an auction block. This is a must read article.

ThomHartmann.com - When Americans No Longer Own America
He talks an awful lot about what foreigners own in America. He makes no mention at all about what Americans own in foreign countries.

I'm under the impression that those two things are very closely related, yet he ignores half of the equation.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 AM

26,788 posts, read 17,366,238 times
I do not think that any other nation is having this done to them by a "crime family administration." Why are people in such denial about what is happening here?

Bush Administration Sells Off America - Details $1B Land Sales MATTHEW DALY / AP 10feb2006

Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 19,824,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
He talks an awful lot about what foreigners own in America. He makes no mention at all about what Americans own in foreign countries.

I'm under the impression that those two things are very closely related, yet he ignores half of the equation.
I did a quick web search and all I find are schemes (more than likely illegal) to shelter taxes of the incredibly wealthy. Are there any sources that state how much foreign assets are owned by Americans?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 PM

96 posts, read 254,209 times
HEY,
let bush and the gov. make all the agreements they want no one says that
we, the people, have to buy the products that they let into the country.

BUY U.S.A.

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM

310 posts, read 275,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE THE U.S.A. View Post
HEY,
let bush and the gov. make all the agreements they want no one says that
we, the people, have to buy the products that they let into the country.

BUY U.S.A.

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Yeah, right!

Kind of difficult to live by this "creed" when there's NOT much left being produced/ manufactured.......completely HERE in America anymore!

Much of what is.......is still OWNED by a company headquartered in another!

Dream ON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies