Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:34 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,435 times

Advertisements

I am pro choice but I also recognize that being pro choice leaves men in an unfair position. A man cannot stop a woman from aborting their child but has to pay child support if the woman decides to go through with the pregnancy. I wounder why our laws do not address this disparity. Since abortion is aviable and women have the right to give their child up I believe men should not have to pay child support as long as they are willing to give up all parental rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 PM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Good point. If it is acceptable for a mother to abort a child because having it would be a financial hardship for her, why shouldn't a father have the same right for the same reason?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
This is a difficult question indeed. As a man, I see both sides to this.

Being required to pay child support is pretty unsettling, but in all fairness, you're half the reason that child exists and if you aren't gonna be around, the least you could do it send over some money. But they you're right, a man can't force or stop a woman from getting an abortion, so that aspect of it is entirely out of his control. In fact, the whole situation kind of is once conception has started.

Many would say that man shouldn't have had sex with her, which isn't invalid, but the idea that men are the only one's who like sex is stupid and actually a least a little sexist. Both partners are equally responsible for the child, and I do think that abortion, when possible, should involve a discussion with the future father. If the father is absent, then the woman can do as she likes.

It's a complex issue with no simple solution. I still hold that better sex education would be a better solution overall than anything having to do with abortion or child support.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
It wouldn't be so bad if the government and women wouldn't be so concerned with just having a guy be responsible vs having a guy be a parent or father and responsible. JMHO. If i was a parent and dad i would find it an honor to be responsible and even contribute more then child support. But if i felt i was being punished by a limited visitation schedule, no say in how our child is raised and automatic deductions of child support from my pay. You would find my willingness to contribute more or cooperate gone. JMHO deadbeats are created.

PS: When a day care provider spends more time with a child then a non custody parent and that parent is paying for it. Its a punishment.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
I am pro choice but I also recognize that being pro choice leaves men in an unfair position. A man cannot stop a woman from aborting their child but has to pay child support if the woman decides to go through with the pregnancy. I wounder why our laws do not address this disparity. Since abortion is aviable and women have the right to give their child up I believe men should not have to pay child support as long as they are willing to give up all parental rights.
Great point.

I don't think I will ever question a woman's right to her choice of an abortion, but if she doesn't want men having a say in whether or not she can have an abortion, then men shouldn't be beholden to her choice.

However, in reality, men usually become fathers the first time they hold their babies. There is usually an instant natural bond.

It is a complex issue.

At this moment, I am happy that I don't have any children, I have three nephews and one God son whom I love very much. I take care of them because I love them, not because I feel obligated.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Great point.

I don't think I will ever question a woman's right to her choice of an abortion, but if she doesn't want men having a say in whether or not she can have an abortion, then men shouldn't be beholden to her choice.

However, in reality, men usually become fathers the first time they hold their babies. There is usually an instant natural bond.

It is a complex issue.
This may be true, but it obviously doesn't mean that many men still won't be deadbeats, their love/bond with and for their children notwithstanding.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This may be true, but it obviously doesn't mean that many men still won't be deadbeats, their love/bond with and for their children notwithstanding.
and if this is the case, I personally (personally being the key word here) don't think I can condemn the man if the woman didn't want him having a say in whether or not she could have an abortion. I don't think he should be forced to pay child support.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
A woman's right to have an abortion is based on her right to privacy, it's her body, so it is her right to choose to have this medical procedure. If men could get pregnant they could have an abortion. There is no fairness in pregnancy, and there never will be. This is a case where biology dictates your terms, and both genders just have to deal with it.

The idea of a "financial abortion" somehow being a fair equivalent is false. Ending a pregnancy does not compare to having your children living while someone else pays for them. Society cannot tolerate fathers abandoning responsibility for their off spring simply because the woman refused to have an abortion. Studies show men men are involved in the decision 95% of the time, and 64% of women report being coerced into having the abortion. It's sad, but it's also rare for a woman to abort a child a man wants to keep.

Last edited by detshen; 07-01-2015 at 10:28 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet;40249319 [B
Since abortion is aviable and women have the right to give their child up I believe men should not have to pay child support as long as they are willing to give up all parental rights[/b].
I disagree, but I wish support was ordered more often with direct payments for things the kid needs versus a transfer of funds to mommy. Tuition could be directly paid, clothing could be directly paid (online), medical bills, etc. Give mommy nothing to pay for the kids food, while requiring dad to pay for kid's needs..direct to supplier. Not hard..in an EFT age.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and if this is the case, I personally (personally being the key word here) don't think I can condemn the man if the woman didn't want him having a say in whether or not she could have an abortion. I don't think he should be forced to pay child support.
I can't support that as that would mean that society at large would then be responsible (or responsible at a higher rate in the event that the biological father's child support requirements weren't enough to care for the child and the mother had to accept public assistance, etc.) for paying to raise a child that is not theirs.

For the record, I am very much pro-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies