Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 01:02 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If you're intolerant of other types of people, such as gays, to the point of putting in a lot of effort to deny them basic rights, then you're a bigot. Sorry, that's just the definition.
The definition of a Bigot is "a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions." Ive never heard of a gay person agreeing with a Christian who disapproves of their lifestyle. Pot, meet kettle.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:14 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
The definition of a Bigot is "a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions." Ive never heard of a gay person agreeing with a Christian who disapproves of their lifestyle. Pot, meet kettle.
Tolerant and agreeing are not the same.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:21 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Tolerant and agreeing are not the same.
Ok, so do you consider gay couples suing bakers who refuse to bake a same sex marriage cake or leaders in the LBGT community demanding Christian churches who do not support same sex marriage be shut down or threatening states who refuse to marry them being "tolerant"? Thats being a bigot. Tolerance would be respecting their religious views and moving on.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:45 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You shouldn't feel alone or bad because you are a bigot:

Not Alone
Oh the poor little dears. Their lives are clearly ruined whenever other people are treated equally.

Now imagine if they all wore neo-Nazi gear and were crying about being called a bigot because they didn't believe Jewish people should have the same rights as them?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Catholic vote

It is a non profit organization I believe. Never heard of it until today. I can honesty say they are alone, if they want to use their vote to deny gay right.

Somehow, the people in the video don't sound very hateful to me. Then again, I can only speak about my own opinion anyway.
It's a propaganda video for a Catholic political group lobbying against same-sex marriage.

Imagine if the 'nice' people in the video were saying: "I have friends of different races and I love them, but I believe marriage is between a man and woman of the same race", then crying because they don't want to be called bigots, while actively doing a video for a campaign against interracial marriage.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there is still NOTHING in the constitution defining marriage as a right.
No. No there isn't. Not by name. And, I'm quite sure ,that the original intent of the 14th amendment did not have same sex marriage in mind. Bug, it ended up covering it. The corral gates been swung open and the cattle are out. For good or ill, no catching those critters now. The original writers and ratifyers are not available for any more clarification, and our new legislative branch, formerly known as the judicial branch and executive Branch, have rendered decision.

K don't know how all this is going to go. Km hoping equal means equal, and we don't wind up with another "special" class of citizens, governed under separate interpretations of laws. Does everybody win here? At least as far as the law is concerned? Again, I don't know. But we will find out....

Old 07-03-2015, 05:22 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
It's a propaganda video for a Catholic political group lobbying against same-sex marriage.

Imagine if the 'nice' people in the video were saying: "I have friends of different races and I love them, but I believe marriage is between a man and woman of the same race", then crying because they don't want to be called bigots, while actively doing a video for a campaign against interracial marriage.
so? People have different and strong opinions, what are you going to do about it?

These people in this video don't sound hateful to me, if they sound hateful to you, it is your opinion. I cannot change how others feel, what others think, I can ONLY control my own behaviors.

If these people want to use their vote to deny other people's right, then my opinion about them would change. I've said it many times in this thread already.

I don't believe human interaction must be based on hate. If people believe marriage is between a man and a woman of the same race, I say "Go ahead, believe that." I am not going to lose sleep over it.

By the way, I really don't know what you are suggesting? Are you suggesting these people should shut up? Are you suggesting these people should be condemned? Are you suggesting that you are going to vote against catholic political group?

They have right to say whatever they want to say. They should have all the freedom in the world to say, "I believe marriage is between a man of a woman", or "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman of the same race." Just like I have all the freedom in the world to define marriage however I want to define it.

Do whatever you want to do to make these people stop, legally. End of the story.

Religious and spiritual awareness is a very personal journey, no amount of shaming will make somebody change their mind unless they want to change. No need to lose sleep over a none profit organization or call everybody bigot.

Remember what Morgan Freeman once said, "I May Be A Bigot -- And Maybe Everyone Else Is, Too."

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-03-2015 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You shouldn't feel alone or bad because you are a bigot:

Not Alone
The liberal mantra, "When you disagree with ANYONE resort to name calling" just like little kids do.

When you start out with name calling your credibility is shot!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
so? People have different and strong opinions, what are you going to do about it?

These people in this video don't sound hateful to me, if they sound hateful to you, it is your opinion. I cannot change how others feel, what others think, I can ONLY control my own behaviors.

If these people want to use their vote to deny other people's right, then my opinion about them would change. I've said it many times in this thread already.

I don't believe human interaction must be based on hate. If people believe marriage is between a man and a woman of the same race, I say "Go ahead, believe that." I am not going to lose sleep over it.

By the way, I really don't know what you are suggesting? Are you suggesting these people should shut up? Are you suggesting these people should be condemned? Are you suggesting that you are going to vote against catholic political group?

They have right to say whatever they want to say. They should have all the freedom in the world to say, "I believe marriage is between a man of a woman", or "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman of the same race." Just like I have all the freedom in the world to define marriage however I want to define it.

Do whatever you want to do to make these people stop, legally. End of the story.

Religious and spiritual awareness is a very personal journey, no amount of shaming will make somebody change their mind unless they want to change. No need to lose sleep over a none profit organization or call everybody bigot.

Remember what Morgan Freeman once said, "I May Be A Bigot -- And Maybe Everyone Else Is, Too."
Those people in that video DO "want to use their vote to deny other people's rights". How do you not get that? They made a propaganda video for a political group which campaigns against same-sex marriage and wants to deny equal protection under the law to gay and lesbian people. How can it get any clearer than that?

No, I'm not suggesting they should 'shut up'. Where did you get that idea? They are free to voice their opinions.
You seem to be suggesting that everyone else shut up and not have the freedom to express their opinions about what these people are doing.

There are consequences to actively campaigning to deny the rights of other people. They get labelled as bigots. Gosh. Big deal. Are they having their rights taken away from them? No. Is anyone forcing them to marry someone of the same sex or trying to stop them from marrying the person they love? No. They are 'crying' because they don't like being called bigots even though they are campaigning against the rights of other people. Somehow in their twisted minds, they don't think it's 'fair' and they seem to want people to actually feel sorry for them. What a joke. It's like "I don't want you to have the same rights as me and I'm going to do everything I can to stop you getting those rights, but you're a big meanie if you call me a bigot".

Last edited by Ceist; 07-03-2015 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This country has stepped on a slippery slope and we are a moral decline in America. I am Glad the churches, even the over Political Catholic Church is taking a stand.

Had the Catholic Church taken a solid stand on eliminating predator priests they'd have some credibility, they didn't and they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies