Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Look, not seeing a symbol of slavery and death of black Americans as racist, is an indication of the racism in the hearts of many, many Americans, that is if this poll is real.

This poll doesn't change the history of that flag and what it means to black Americans.

Then it's Black Americans that need to get over it. More Attrocities have been committed under the US Flag than were ever commited under that stupid Stars and Bars flag including slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 07:34 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Ill bet most of the remaining 43% didnt even think about the flag until the media and politicians blew it up

Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Then it's Black Americans that need to get over it. More Attrocities have been committed under the US Flag than were ever commited under that stupid Stars and Bars flag including slavery.
Lol, this is how white dudes feel. Hey, what we think is the only thing that matters.

Who cares if the confederate flag symbolizes, white supremacy, death and slavery, black Americans need to get over it cause a white dude said so.

That's what these discussions are always about, whose perspective counts, who matters.

In the old America, white dudes could just tell everyone else to shut up and get over it. Thankfully in 2015, that's no longer true.

I suggest you get over the flag being seen correctly as a symbol and treated accordingly.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
"The opinions were not only divided by race, but also, among whites, by education, with people who have more formal education being less likely to see the flag as a symbol of pride."

So basically white people with a low education level think the flag represents pride....why am I not shocked by this poll?
That would be democrats, you do know that most high school dropouts are democrats, right?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Nobody banned the Dukes of hazard. So your first sentence is based on illogical thinking, therefore your conclusions are irrational as well.
Banned, removed, not shown.....pick your word.

Quote:
The only problem is do black Americans count or not. If they count, then having a symbol of their enslavement and death as entertainment will be seen as evil and untenable.

Its really that simple.
There are things that offend me. There are things that offends others. Without question it should be removed from statehouses but when we argue to start removing things from everything just becuase someone is offended that line of thinking becomes never ending.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Lol, this is how white dudes feel. Hey, what we think is the only thing that matters.

Who cares if the confederate flag symbolizes, white supremacy, death and slavery, black Americans need to get over it cause a white dude said so.

That's what these discussions are always about, whose perspective counts, who matters.

In the old America, white dudes could just tell everyone else to shut up and get over it. Thankfully in 2015, that's no longer true.

I suggest you get over the flag being seen correctly as a symbol and treated accordingly.

Yeah that brown color I look at in the mirror every morning and the native Aztec blood of my ancestors flowing through my veins makes me a White dude. Not to mention the North African Mediterranean genes from my forefathers in Sicily.

That's my perspective and I could give a **** less about what others think especially white liberals trying to educate me their revisionist version of history.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
LOL @ people fighting for an old backward flag but then plenty of those same people wanting people who were terrorized by those holding it to forget their history.

Let then keep their flag though. It tells enough about them before they open their mouths. Haha.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

There are things that offend me. There are things that offends others. Without question it should be removed from statehouses but when we argue to start removing things from everything just becuase someone is offended that line of thinking becomes never ending.
Banned, removed, and not shown don't have the same meanings, so you picked the words, you picked banned. The show hasn't been banned, so any conclusions that proceed from that illogical understanding of reality will be irrational.

The rest of your post is equally irrational, of course things get removed because they offend people, but the confederate flag isn't offensive. It's a symbol used by racists in the real world to terrorize people. It is a symbol used by murderers. That's not merely offensive.

And then when you take the flags history into account, then labeling it as offensive is a huge misnomer, either a person sees that reality or they don't.

carry on.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

The truth of the flag, and all of those monuments in South and even DC, is that they were put up in a concerted effort to create a great confederate myth. As a Southerner I always found it odd that my hometown had multiple confederate memorials when at the time of secession it was haven for confederate deserters. Well now I know.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Banned, removed, and not shown don't have the same meanings, so you picked the words, you picked banned. The show hasn't been banned, so any conclusions that proceed from that illogical understanding of reality will be irrational.

The rest of your post is equally irrational, of course things get removed because they offend people, but the confederate flag isn't offensive. It's a symbol used by racists in the real world to terrorize people. It is a symbol used by murderers. That's not merely offensive.

And then when you take the flags history into account, then labeling it as offensive is a huge misnomer, either a person sees that reality or they don't.

carry on.
The Dukes of Hazard didn't terrorize anyone. When your argument is built on hyperbole its not very substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies