Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:30 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,278,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was quoting CNN stats. How about a Bloomberg article, too?

College Grads Taking Low-Wage Jobs Displace Less Educated - Bloomberg Business

"The recent rise in underemployment for college graduates represents a return to the levels of the early 1990s, according to the New York Fed study."

Things ain't peachy for the 20 something workers, according to statistics.
You do know that that article is over a year old right?
And using data even older than that right?
For one the surveys quoted in the article the LATEST data was July of 2012 - THREE YEARS AGO.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 11:32 AM

15,596 posts, read 10,338,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And you seem to believe in the media more than someone who is challenging you to direct people to send in their job applications.
Indeed. I believe quantified studies reported in the mainstream press and backed up by federal numbers.

An anecdotal, anonymous poster on CD doesn't a trend make. I'm not negating her/his statements. Only her/his situation being the norm.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Indeed. I believe quantified studies reported in the mainstream press and backed up by federal numbers.

An anecdotal, anonymous poster on CD doesn't a trend make. I'm not negating her/his statements. Only her/his situation being the norm.
And you quoted an eight year old article.

Not that I cared to look into your "media" sources, that you always trust. My rebuttal to your non-sense is based on facts, and challenging you to send these people you must know, to apply for jobs that will pay at least 3x as much, if they are qualified: health care industry (clinical, finance, analytics).

Old 07-03-2015, 11:40 AM

15,596 posts, read 10,338,024 times
Quote:
And you quoted an eight year old article.

Not that I cared to look into your "media" sources, that you always trust. My rebuttal to your non-sense is based on facts, and challenging you to send these people you must know, to apply for jobs that will pay at least 3x as much, if they are qualified: health care industry (clinical, finance, analytics).
No. Silicon Valley to millennials: Drop dead (Opinion) - CNN.com

Written March, 2015.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
The following, written today, although I believe you trust mainstream media (half of which you don't seem to understand) more than you'd a personal challenge:
Quote:
We're struggling to find candidates and struggling to fill positions (Health care industry). If you know someone who is qualified, have them contact me for positions here in Texas (two positions to be hired by me), New Mexico (six positions) or Ohio (four). At least 3x the pay you quoted.

I would not have asked for this even in 2007 because were wary of being laid off at the time and the job growth was terrible, not to mention a disaster in 2008.
This is the essence of the article you want to play with (and it is from your article):
"The big money goes to the corporations that own the software. The scraps go to the on-demand workers."
-Robert Reich

Should I bet you agree with it?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,278,891 times
Quote:
I've been saying for a while now that computing capability has now reached the point where technological advancements are destroying more jobs than they are creating. This is a change from in the past and has nothing to do with who is president or what party is in power, it's just a fact. This is a big part of the reason that both this recovery and the previous one (during the last administration, and where the term "jobless recovery originated") have been much slower to bounce back jobs than previous recoveries were.

Ken

Old 07-03-2015, 01:23 PM

5,887 posts, read 3,879,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup. Overall the economy is pretty good. There are some areas where it's still weak, but many parts of the country are doing pretty well.
Leisure and hospitality has been booming under Obama. I see more hookers then last year in front of the downtown motel these nights.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,805,641 times
Quote:
You do know that that article is over a year old right?
And using data even older than that right?
For one the surveys quoted in the article the LATEST data was July of 2012 - THREE YEARS AGO.

Ken
The replaced jobs pay 23 percent, so if you were the median family and took the hit, you're now making 1k less a month.

The biggest collapse since the Great Depression and you never saw it coming. Why listen to you?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Leisure and hospitality has been booming under Obama. I see more hookers then last year in front of the downtown motel these nights.
May be your locality can finally afford them.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:46 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,805,641 times
Quote:
Yup. Overall the economy is pretty good. There are some areas where it's still weak, but many parts of the country are doing pretty well. Here in little old Benson, AZ - a small rural town in a fairly Red state - the economy is still pretty weak, but nearby Tucson is doing much better, Phoenix is doing well and deep-blue Seattle (where I used to live) is positively booming, Most people in most parts of the country who really want a job can generally find one if they are skilled labor. With our aging population, lots of people just don't want to work anymore so I don't really have a lot of concern about the Labor Force Participation Rate.

A couple of years ago I predicted that by the time Obama leaves office the U-3 UE rate would be 5-something percent. I was wrong. It's pretty apparent that it will be in the 4-something percent range.

Ken
No overall the economy isn't good. Only those with little knowledge about how the economy works would ignore wages, prices and duration unemployed. Next you going to tell us how the economy was good during WW2 because of low unemployment? Completely ignoring the fact that the trade off between producer and consumer is a quality product for a fair price. That was extremely hard to find during the war years as there wasn't much of quality to purchase.

The Median family income is stagnant while prices are rising
The lost jobs that were replaced pay 23 percent less.
For the first time ever a majority of school aged children are on government assistance
Those unemployed are on it a lot longer than before the crash
June 2015
avg 28.1 median 11.3

2000-2008
median 12-20 weeks
avg 7-9 weeks

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 07-03-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies