Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Sorry. but I have to disagree; there are, I'm sure, a group within gay ranks who understand military traditions and what that life entails, and my hat remains off to them.

But far too many within the entire LGBT movement, and especially its more outspoken edge, are either too young or too spoiled to understand what went into the development of fully mature democracy. They are simply narcissists who think that the world should revolve around them, and they will bond with any other collection of losers to get their way at the expense of somebody else -- usually someone who has "paid his/her dues". In short, they're just another strain of (ugh!) "progressive" Leftists.
Well said. But unfortunately, I'm not seeing how it's relevant.

You're basing you offense off of what you assume the people in the photo are like, and not what is in the photo. You said it, "progressive leftists." You're basing this entire view off of an assumption, leading me to believe your opinion is neither informed nor worthwhile.

And even if what you're saying is true, which it could be, that still doesn't make the photo itself offensive. Being made by ignorant people does not devalue the work they do. I could point out here that the constitution was written by slave owners. Is that offensive because the people who wrote it thought it as ok to own another human being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
I'm all for gay marriage, always have been.

But do not pretend for one second that whining until you get your way equals fighting to protect everyone who lives in the country that you signed up to protect and give your LIFE for is one in the same. Personal issues vs. "for the greater good" are two very separate things.

Let's not pretend fighting with rainbow flags and parades and political correctness and using the media to get your "plight" across is the same thing - as this picture is trying to pretend.

Stop while you're ahead.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:53 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't think it was intended to be insensitive or mocking so I'm not too bothered by it. I do get that people find the equivalence offensive because of the Hell of life and death the Marines endured. I think the people involved may be too self-absorbed to see that, but I'm not sure they were intentionally disrespectful.
Its possible they meant no dispespect. The image they used doesn't mean the same thing to them it does to older Americans, or those related to same, that grew up on the accomplishments and losses of WW2 combatants.. Perhaps they should have chosen their own imagery, from their own struggle. They are guilty of not looking at all the angles. I don't see this one being appropriate. It doesn't exactly have the proper fit.

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny just how many don't find mockery of the sacrifices of our Marines to be offensive...but do find a rebel flag to be.
Well those Marines weren't trying to secede, but they were protecting our freedom. Why do you seem to be against freedom?

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Funny just how many don't find mockery of the sacrifices of our Marines to be offensive...but do find a rebel flag to be.
SIGH...OK, so you're a big time Rebel Flag supporter (despite being about as far away from the South as a Martian), but what does this have to do with THIS image?

This isn't a mockery. It's simply an impersonation implying something to do with finally gaining liberty.

Moreover, That Iwo Jima image played out dozens of times all over the Pacific during the war. I don't know why you're acting as if this is so sacred.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

But do not pretend for one second that whining until you get your way equals fighting to protect everyone who lives in the country that you signed up to protect and give your LIFE for is one in the same. Personal issues vs. "for the greater good" are two very separate things.

Let's not pretend fighting with rainbow flags and parades and political correctness and using the media to get your "plight" across is the same thing - as this picture is trying to pretend.

Stop while you're ahead.
"Whining until you get your way?" Uhhh...so they didn't fight for their rights? They just "whined" a bit and won all of these battles?

A lot of people that are highly offended by this image keep saying that "i'm all for gay marriage," but i doubt it.

This sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Stop while you're ahead.
The picture was taken 15 years ago, long before most of the stuff you were talking about was even happening.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
If it helps, I find no offense it either.

[shrug]

Old 07-02-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
But how is it mockery?

I'll say again, this photo was trying to make a genuine point. I find it unclear and not intriguing, but it's not offensive. All offense is coming from assumptions about who the people are, which none of the people making these assumptions have the knowledge to do so accurately.

But I'll ask again (and maybe I'll get an answer; usually do about 20% of the time on this forum), what exactly is it about this photo that is mocking the marines?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
My brother was a Marine, he was with 1st Battalion - 1st Marine Division MOS 0321, My other friend Mike (he is actually my brother's friend) was with 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine, MOS 0321. My other best friend D was with India Battery, 3-12. His MOS was 0811 I have many many Marine friends. I don't remember their MOS, I don't remember who they are with, but I know most of them are VERY VERY VERY honorable people. They all seem to have very unique personality. No wonder the Marines are one of the most respected fighting force on earth.

That being said, I know the Marines, soldiers, sailors, airmen, etc all gave up their constitutional right to uphold ours. They fight for people who couldn't fight for themselves. They fight for the gays and lesbians, they fight for the artists, they fight for all of us, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I don't personally believe the person who created this not-so-good-piece-of-"artwork" meant to be disrespectful, I do believe this photo is poor taste. It is not original and it is not authentic. The color is just all wrong. Sorry. The blue sky background is just lame as hell. lol

I hope people don't give this photo much attention, it is not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies