Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

https://trove.com/a/Iwo-Jima-Marines...campaign=srfan

Quote:
At left, the iconic photograph of the 1945 flag-raising by Marines on Iwo Jima. At right, a gay pride adaptation of the original image that has gone viral in recent days, 15 years after it was published. (Original image by Joe Rosenthal/The Associated Press. Second image by Ed Freeman/ Getty Images.)

More than a decade ago, photographer Ed Freeman set out to capture the gay rights struggle in a photograph for the cover of Frontiers, a gay magazine. To do so, he relied on an image — the flag-raising at Iwo Jima — that has been imitated and adapted countless times since it was captured in the midst of one of America’s bloodiest battles.
I have nothing against gays, and I'm actually glad that gay marriage was legalized. Maybe we won't have to hear about the activist idiots any more.

But this crap goes too far. To disrespect the sacrifice of thousands of Marines lost at Iwo, and to distort this picture for some sick homo movement garbage is disgusting. While I have nothing against gays, gay activists are another story. It is sickening crap like this that turns moderates against the gay agenda, and shows the hate behind the rainbow flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
It is disrespectful, but I doubt that the artist behind the work meant any disrespect, so I'm not going to get too worked up about it. This is a sacred photo. And, while a momentous moment for many, the victory for gay rights at the Supreme Court is nothing compared to the sacrifices made by our troops at Iwo Jima. Still, as I stated, the artist meant no offense and I think appreciates much of the criticism he's getting.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
*yawn*

Iwo Jima at 70: The Most Reproduced and Parodied Photo in History? - USNI News

Old 07-02-2015, 10:09 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
F 'em. Oh wait, that's what they want.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:12 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
F 'em. Oh wait, that's what they want.
I highly doubt that a gay man or a lesbian woman is looking to have sex with you. Sorry to disappoint.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It is disrespectful, but I doubt that the artist behind the work meant any disrespect, so I'm not going to get too worked up about it. This is a sacred photo. And, while a momentous moment for many, the victory for gay rights at the Supreme Court is nothing compared to the sacrifices made by our troops at Iwo Jima. Still, as I stated, the artist meant no offense and I think appreciates much of the criticism he's getting.
With all due respect, I think your full of...well, I think you're dead wrong. IMO the POS meant to be as offensive and disrespectful as possible to get his attention and 15 minutes of fame. Sick little pr*cks do this crap all the time, one way or another. And yes, I'm playing into it and giving the sick @#% what he wants. Reminds me of the ignorant a!@##$^s that hang Obama effigies. Sick and wrong.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
With all due respect, I think your full of...well, I think you're dead wrong. IMO the POS meant to be as offensive and disrespectful as possible to get his attention and 15 minutes of fame. Sick little pr*cks do this crap all the time, one way or another. And yes, I'm playing into it and giving the sick @#% what he wants.
So, we disagree. I'll get over it

Why all the anger, though?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
So, we disagree. I'll get over it

Why all the anger, though?
I guess I just have a little more respect for the sacrifices our Marines have made than some do.

I find disgusting parodies of great men and women a bit disturbing. Sort of like a MLK meme for the KKK, but worse. These were real heroes.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:24 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
https://trove.com/a/Iwo-Jima-Marines...campaign=srfan

I have nothing against gays, and I'm actually glad that gay marriage was legalized. Maybe we won't have to hear about the activist idiots any more.

But this crap goes too far. To disrespect the sacrifice of thousands of Marines lost at Iwo, and to distort this picture for some sick homo movement garbage is disgusting. While I have nothing against gays, gay activists are another story. It is sickening crap like this that turns moderates against the gay agenda, and shows the hate behind the rainbow flag.
What do you mean you have nothing against gays? You are one of the biggest homophobes on here! Last week must have really sucked for you! LOL

Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
I'm not seeing disrespect here...

It's an iconic photo being emulated with a different flag, different cause, and different people. It in no way dishonors the original actions. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just not seeing any disrespect. If anything, the motive of the gay pride flag picture is just unclear. I'm not really sure what it's trying to say, which means it's bad symbolism. But other than that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies