Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
While I believe your last sentence...The problem is that Veteran's have never been truly supported..and that especially goes back to the ALL war vets since the 2nd World War...Vietnam Vets were treated terribly by American society, never mind the Government..They were blamed for America's failures right along with the Government even getting embroiled into it..Back then it was mandatory to become a military person..and YET those forced or enticed to enter into combat got treated terribly when they came home!!..( I'm a Vietnam Vet Widow ..so KNOW!!)

Fast foreward to NOW..Even tho American's supposedly support their veteran's..Some people don't want to pay for their care and costs of recovery from battlefront injuries.... That's a Government cost..and only Tax dollars can pay for that..But no one wants to pay those taxes....so let those donate to a reputable cause who does make a difference..Most fraudulent sites have been eliminated after 12 years

BUT to suggest that War Vets of the past can't or SHOULDN'T support Wounded Warriors is patently double speak and it's exactly how they talked back in the late and early '70's...and it only went down hill after that!!

In short..Don't donate to them (Wounded Warriors) or any other group who supports your war vets IF you truly feel this way...Your government declared war 2003..but can't pay for all care..But that's not part of your argument is it!
I hear you loud and clear!

Governments have a covenant to keep with the military for it is they that use the military as their pointy end.

Just as individual on here will suggest that those who volunteer for the military life do so knowing full well the possible consequences; SO TO does the government know that when they embroil their military in a conflict there will be dire consequences for individuals. Knowing that; using them, then abandoning them to charity is the most egregious of sins a government can make.

Governements committing soldiers to action only to fluff them off when they return wounded should send a very clear signal to all citizens exactly what they think of each and every one of you......NADA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Probably, but let's be honest...we HAVE to fund the VA. I mean, even if you ceaselessly explained to the American people that we're gonna divert VA funds to charitable organizations, politicians would frame it during some election as to how their opponent "cut money to our soldiers" and blah, blah, blah, and people would be silly enough to buy into it and the b.s. would go on from there.....
The issue isn't whether or not the VA exists, but how it performs. Even during it's most highly publicized failures its leadership were getting performance bonuses. This IMO reflects an inherent defect of public organizations in that they do not need to care or perform. They're getting paid anyway.

Quote:
Lemme also say that i think you're wrong when you say "government failed." Yeah, you're technically right, but we're the government...so we're failing.
No argument there.

Quote:
This Wounded Warrior Project is all over TV so Americans can easily make the deduction that our post 9/11 veterans (this charity is set up ad hoc for them) must be getting short changed. I don't get why this is tolerated.
Something like less than 1% of Americans have been on active duty; I suspect since so few Americans will personally have a connection to a veteran, they tolerate the situation due to ignorance of the problem or apathy.

Quote:
Again, i know i'm probably being a bit silly to be slightly offended that this charity organization had to spring up in order to fill the gaps. There's nothing wrong with charity, but this is akin to our vets having their hands sticking out IMO...and i don't like it. There should be no gaps needing to be filled.
Back in NYC I'd always throw a few bucks to a charity that helped the homeless because it's a crappy situation, and I know a lot of the homeless are veterans. Then, naturally:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ed-fraud/?_r=0

Quote:
They are a familiar sight on street corners across the five boroughs: Men and women standing behind folding card tables, urging passers-by to throw a little change into the empty plastic water jug marked “U.H.O.”

But an investigation by Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo appears to have confirmed what many New Yorkers secretly (if somewhat guiltily) suspected all along: The United Homeless Organization, supposedly a nonprofit group set up to help feed and house the homeless, was actually an elaborate fraud.
So, government failed, and charities fail too. Ugh.

Quote:
But as other posters have said, in a perfect world, this wouldn't be needed. But the world isn't perfect...i get it.
Ah, just do what you can, otherwise you'll go bitter or nuts. Or both.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
The issue isn't whether or not the VA exists, but how it performs. Even during it's most highly publicized failures its leadership were getting performance bonuses. This IMO reflects an inherent defect of public organizations in that they do not need to care or perform. They're getting paid anyway.

No argument there.

Something like less than 1% of Americans have been on active duty; I suspect since so few Americans will personally have a connection to a veteran, they tolerate the situation due to ignorance of the problem or apathy.

Back in NYC I'd always throw a few bucks to a charity that helped the homeless because it's a crappy situation, and I know a lot of the homeless are veterans. Then, naturally:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ed-fraud/?_r=0

So, government failed, and charities fail too. Ugh.

Ah, just do what you can, otherwise you'll go bitter or nuts. Or both.
LOL..yeah.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:01 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Funny thing is, most of you who are complaining about the VA, want the ACA....

Single payer ring a bell....and that is the "End State" single payer from the ACA....

Yet you won't use the VA...what the heck makes you think that ACA will be better?

Old 07-05-2015, 01:07 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
If they're getting everything they need, why would they need any donations?
BEcause as much as you would like to believe, the military does not provide cars, they do not provide housing that is specific to that persons needs (not even the VA).

Quote:
I have everything i need and i don't need a donation.
This is not about you.

Quote:
I'm assuming that you have pretty much everything you need, and i doubt that you're looking for donations.
This is not about me, don't make your argument about me or you....THAT is why these organizations exist....

Quote:
So why is there an obvious need for this organization? That's the question.
Do you want me to say that the VA/Military compensation sucks after you have retired/medically retired?

I cannot, neither can you, you even say that in this thread.....because you are getting what you need....

Are there horror stories....yep....there are horror stories about all insurance.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:08 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
I looked up their mission statement, and i have no issue with what they do. I understand that it's a charity. Fine and good.

But WHY is this necessary? This organization was made to serve veterans (disabled) of actions post 9.11, and if i remember right, the American people in majority numbers were quite gung-ho about going to these wars and actions. Some still want to go back over there and fight ISIS and one poll i saw showed that a majority of Americans would support it.

So since we were so gung ho to go to war, why aren't we paying for these soldiers needs with our tax money? Why is a charity obviously needed to fill the gaps that we as tax payers aren't filling ourselves? I don't give a damn if our taxes have to go up...if that's what's needed then our taxes should be raised until there's enough to money to take care of every last need these vets have. And they shouldn't have any co-pays either.

I'm not sure why, but although i find this charitable organization to be noble, i'm annoyed that there's a need for its existence. Maybe i'm out of line here, but i'm sure that i'll be straightened out by some of the more informed people that might chime in on the thread if i'm wrong.
I agree with you 100%,and I am enraged every time I see those commercials,with them having to Beg for donations when our wounded soldiers should be taken care of for the rest of their lives,not the freakin worthless politicians who gave themselves perks that we never even got to vote on!

It is way past time for Americans to take our country back from all the self-serving politicians and throw them out of office,with absolutely NO BENEFITS!

Because America has a POS government that anyone with a brain should never consider joining it's military,because our soldiers are NOTHING to the government!!!!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-05-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 01:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
If people are donating, why do you care? It does not affect you....(you are wrong)

It's donations....
You are so right. We know the government steps in and helps all vets as much as they can.There are also government help for most who need it, but there is also always a need for more help. Like mentioned "Make a Wish" "special Olympics," Easter Seal" and on and on. If one doesn't want to donate, that is their choice, but how can anyone ask why the need? There is always need.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The tax dollars for our wounded vets are controlled by the Government...and they do NOT do a good job helping...too much red tape, too many hoops...too many crooks...

Look at the Veteran's Hospitals....it's a mess. That's why there is a charity to help the folks who have protected us.
VA and some hospitals yes, but not all VA hospitals fall into that catagory and what Wounded Warriors does goes a lot deeper than just medical help. What you are saying might be applied to all government programs and many people depend on both the help of the government and private donations.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:35 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are so right. We know the government steps in and helps all vets as much as they can.There are also government help for most who need it, but there is also always a need for more help. Like mentioned "Make a Wish" "special Olympics," Easter Seal" and on and on. If one doesn't want to donate, that is their choice, but how can anyone ask why the need? There is always need.

The government helps the vets!!!!!! Have you not heard of the scandals with the veteran's hospitals that no one would take their dog to?

You call THAT care,and how about all the experiments the government has done to enlisted personnel oh and most recently the threats made to our soldiers and their families to keep their mouths shut about their tour of duty in the middle east?

Old 07-05-2015, 01:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Not even. If anything, we should be paying a war tax that gets diverted to post war veteran care after the war is over.

Soldiers choose military service, but they don't make policy. This has squat to do with personal responsibility.

To the extent that personal responsibility plays a role, it's that think the military community; that's active duty soldiers, veterans and retired veterans, have been far too placid and willing to get stiffed by our government because they think that raising holy hell over the inadequacies is unpatriotic. They'd rather **** and moan about war protesters instead of calling out the bums that send them to wars and then decline to fund them properly when they get home.

Otherwise, i think your statement is out of line, but that's your right as an American.
If I hire on at a dangerous job- say as a lumberjack- and lose a leg... well that's my choice and I have to live with it.

Why are soldiers exempt from that choice?

If they were drafted, or if we were actually in danger as a nation, I could see it. But people going to fight in wars of choice because they want that nice combat paycheck?

That looks like opportunism to me. Not sure why I should subsidize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies